By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is House of the Dead: Overkill a full price game?

twestern, have you unlocked everything? (golden brains, achievements ect)

oh and how are you finding freedom fighters?

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

Around the Network

A better question would be why the heck you ask this question on vgchartz forums.

Do these forums look like Sega support forums ?
Nope.....................

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Ail said:
A better question would be why the heck you ask this question on vgchartz forums.

Do these forums look like Sega support forums ?
Nope.....................

I dunno.  Afterall Sega does give the site a lot of pre-release contest swag.

twesterm said:

I'm not going to play through the entire game again just to see a few scenes that probably should have been in the already short game to begin with.

Different difficulties does not really equal replayability and that isn't really much incentive to play again.

Again, I love the game, I just think it cost far too much money.

I guess you won't be getting the new Punch Out!! at full price then ? Since anyone who beat the NES one will "beat" the new one in a hour or two (at most).

woopah said:
twestern, have you unlocked everything? (golden brains, achievements ect)

oh and how are you finding freedom fighters?

It's a fun game, I'm having a lot of fun just working through the different ways to go about each mission.

bloody swamp said:

twesterm said:

I'm not going to play through the entire game again just to see a few scenes that probably should have been in the already short game to begin with.

Different difficulties does not really equal replayability and that isn't really much incentive to play again.

Again, I love the game, I just think it cost far too much money.

I guess you won't be getting the new Punch Out!! at full price then ? Since anyone who beat the NES one will "beat" the new one in a hour or two (at most).

They're not the same game...

Around the Network
twesterm said:

So, House of the Dead shouldn't be a full price game only because it's "House of the Dead", not because it's a game you can "beat" in 2 hours and a half. Now I understand

Punchout apparently can be beaten in an hour or less if you've beaten past punch out games (the characters fight the exact same way as they did in previous games). Of course you can play through it again where the characters have slightly different attack patterns...so that should be another hour and a half. I'm with you though, I won't pay full price for a game that short.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

The_vagabond7 said:
Punchout apparently can be beaten in an hour or less if you've beaten past punch out games (the characters fight the exact same way as they did in previous games). Of course you can play through it again where the characters have slightly different attack patterns...so that should be another hour and a half. I'm with you though, I won't pay full price for a game that short.

Well, I'm not with you as I'm quite hyped about Punch Out!! and will definitely buy it at launch at full price

And the "slightly different paterns" apparently also come with much harder difficulty and it will probably take a lot more than an hour an half to beat this extra ("Director's Cut" ) mode.

bloody swamp said:
twesterm said:

So, House of the Dead shouldn't be a full price game only because it's "House of the Dead", not because it's a game you can "beat" in 2 hours and a half. Now I understand

No, they're just different types of game.

House of the Dead is a rail shooter that is best played with co-op.  Once you beat it, you get the directors cut for some extra deleted scenes, but in my honest opinion that isn't worth playing through the entire game again.  They added the golden brains and such, but that's just really for completists.  Your average player won't play that game more than once through.

Punch-Out!! is another really short game that also happens to feature multiplayer.  The difference with the multiplayer in Punch-Out!! and House of the Dead is that the House of the Dead multiplayer is the same linear experience that the single player is and is the same every playthrough.  With Punch-Out!! it's more like a party game or a fighting game in that the sinple is quickly beaten but the value comes from playing again people (no co-op).

I'll let you judge the value of Punch-Out!! multiplayer, but that's a different topic entirely.  This topic is still House of Dead: Overkill is in no way at all worth $50.  Even playing though it again is only 5 hours and that's still a really short game that isn't worth $50.

Try think of it as paying by the F-bomb. The game is now cheap at $50.