By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is House of the Dead: Overkill a full price game?

KylieDog said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

Nonsense.

Urgh, I'm gonna do this once only Zen, you aren't worth any more time that this.

Bold = what you said.

1. It's one of the best core games on the Wii.

Complete opinion, yet at the same time false (yes opinions can be false and untrue incase you true to cherry pick that argument like you always do and ignore the rest).

2. It succeeds at humor. Few games do.

Again complete opinion.  I personally do not find F-Bombs every 3-10 second funny.  A few jokes here and there were ok but certainly more misses than hits from my view.

3. It has infinite replayability, because it is a bridge title. That means it can be a core game or a party game.

False.  The only way a game can have infinite replayability is if the game continually changes, Overkill does not.  This statement you make also counters you own point number 1 by now claiming it is a bridge title and not a core title.

4. It is a great experience, and worth playing through. That can't be said for most new releases.

Worth playing through yes, but the topic is about the value and why it is full priced.  Many budget games are a great experience and worth playing through, this statement does nothing to address the topic.

5. Yhatzee said it was better than Killzone 2.

So one guys opinion now makes fact?  I do not need explain what is wrong with this statement of yours.

6. It reinvigorated a dying genre, which many other games have tried and failed to reinvigorate.

It reinvigorated nothing, on rails shooters had already been reinvigorated on the Wii.

Long before Overkill there was already:

Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles - 1.26m

HotD 2+3 Return - 0.97m

Link's Crossbow Training - 3.92m

Ghost Squad - 0.63m

Meanwhile HotD overkill sits at 0.25m.  With some luck it may outsell Ghost Squad, but it is hardly reinvigorating.  That has already been done.  Even without these games existance 250k still isn't amazing.

6. All games in that genre are short. It's in their nature.

No, they aren't.  As I've also said ina  previous post the only short ones are arcade ports, and arcade games are short.  Looking at Umbrella Chronicles a built for console on rails shooter, it is a quite long game.  Far far longer than Overkill.  Link's Crossbow training is the other built for console and it was released budget price and bundled witht he Zapper, and I'll remind you the topic of thread, Overkill and why it is full price?

7. Despite its length, the game still garnered great reviews from almost everyone, because of the points I've listed.

It has a 79 on metacritic which isn't great, is just good.  A lot of your 'positives' are comment on as negatives and some state the complete opposite in many of those reviews too.  This entire comment of yours is crap.

Enjoy it Zen, because you don't get anymore of my time.  Ever.

imho

You completely diverted the subject away from your obvious flaw in reasoning, and commented on a completely unrelated post.

I asked you to respond to my comments directed towards YOU, not my original answer to the OP.

You refuse, and you expect me to believe it was a mistake!?

Should I just copy and paste my previous three posts, or will you comment on the actual issue I have with you and your previously incorrect assumptions?

You commented on a post that has nothing to do with why I called you out. I don't care if you like this game, or you don't. My point is that your comparisons between play length and quality are completely invalid, and they ARE. It has been proven time and time again in game after game, from LBP, to Wii Sports, to Contra, to Resident Evil, to MGS, to any game that can be beaten in a short time, but which also contains replayability. Feel free to not comment on your incorrectness all you want. Dodge my questions, and bring up stuff that has nothing to do with the issue at hand(and you bloody well knew it didn't when you made that post).

You can save us all time and admit that when you made your comparisons that demos and ports were of the same value as Overkill simply because of their playlength, you were 100 percent wrong. You can also go ahead and admit that playlength isn't necessarily an important factor in game quality. Otherwise, you will continue to be wrong imo, no matter how much you want to blame me for it.

Saving face isn't always the right thing to do.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

God, it's a rail shooter, there are many that are far, far shorter. :p
Plus, Director's Cut is longer, bigger, and harder. :)

Though I still agree it could've done with a few extra levels.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

sigh, what does a game have to do to pacify a bitch

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

^ Lol XD

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

woopah said:
sigh, what does a game have to do to pacify a bitch

Detective Washington is that you

Around the Network

As a fellow oldschool gamer ive quickly gotten used to the short length of the game since lots of games were like that before, all up until the 5 generation, games got really long. and i absolutely loved the dialog, the abusive cursing makes it so amusing. Who curses like that? nobody (or nobody that i know of) only nutcases curse like that, thats why its entertaining and not real. But still if there is going to be a sequal lets hope they'll make it longer.

It's a castrated, outdated genre. Let's take a regular first-person shooter, disable movement for everything but your arms, and then wheel you around so you can shoot at random stuff. And on top of that for some reason the game is only a couple hours long, short even by shooter standards. If somebody seriously proposed that as a new concept they'd get laughed out of the room, but because some people have some nostalgia for the old days and the genre it's accepted anyway.

So-called light-gun games should never be more than a bonus mode of a real game.

I guess they thought the almost 1 million HotD 2&3 buyers would get it en masse, even at $50 :P

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!

*bangs head against wall*

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

the basic problem is, your playing the game wrong. trying to kill everything rather than achieve goregasms and rack up points

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia