By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why GTA IV, one of the 2 best games of this gen, received so much hate.

Fei-Hung said:
it was hated by for the same reasons why I hate previous GTA's:

1) the novelty of being an anti hero and random killings has worn off.
2) they all have shit stories
3) repetitive missions

4) average driving mechanics
5) average combat mechanics
6) average shooting mechanics
7) the world maybe alive but no where near as alive, real and beautiful as the shenmue or yakuza games.
8) it's all about gang banging gangsters and majority of the games supporters are wanna be gang bangers and in Britain referred to as " yobs, chavs, thugs" and many other names.

9) all the above is IMO, but I'm sure therein do lay some facts

3.  Yeah, but life itself is pretty repetitive.  So, trying to criticize a life simulator for being repetitive might have more to do with the nature of life itself.

4.  I think all of the mechanics were good enough.  It tried to do many things well.   While a game like Gears tries to do one thing great.

7.  At least in GTA IV, the characters in the world are pretty much doing their own thing on their own.  You don't have to walk up to them and hit the A button to bring them to life.  There are many more things available to do in GTA IV than in Shenmue or Yakuza.

8.  GTA IV has an excellent story that depicts very well the state that the US is in now in its decline where the only real way to keep up with the Joneses these days does take a bit of extreme behavior.

Around the Network

i liked it but it didnt deserve a 10.

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

txrattlesnake said:

3.  Yeah, but life itself is pretty repetitive.  So, trying to criticize a life simulator for being repetitive might have more to do with the nature of life itself.

Do you really play games in order to experience the repetitiveness of life?  Don't you already get enough of it?

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

I would say that it is not hated per say by people but was just way overhyped. There is no way that it should have had all of those perfect scores when there are some major flaws in the game. Overall it is a great game, but just not as great as everyone had placed it.

Get your Portable ID!

End of 2009 sales predictions:

PS3 - 33 Million     360 - 40 Million    Wii - 75 Million

I don't hate it, it's just boring with many annoying flaws. I really cannot be bothered to finish the game which is unsual for me.

Around the Network

Unbelievably overhyped and overrated critically.

/thread.

The reason I didn't like it is simple; it did not sound, look and, most importantly, play like GTA.

Second most over rated game this gen.
Recieved perfect scores on hype alone.
Way less content than the previous main GTA game (san andreas)
Complete downgrade in the series.
Boring characters. Boring missions.

Just talking about GTA4 makes me angry.

Mummelmann said:
The reason I didn't like it is simple; it did not sound, look and, most importantly, play like GTA.

It does play like GTA because it is GTA.

It would have been more accurate to say "past GTA titles" at the end there.

@txrattlesnake

1) my life is far from repetitive and comparing anyones life to gta4 is just simply stupid. There is a heaven and earth difference.

2) you said it yourself, it Tries to do a lot of things well. I cannot believe I have to bottle feed and explain but I will:

A) the shooting is average compared to any decent shooters
B) the driving is average compared to any decent driving game
C) the combat is average compared to any decent combat game

3) you clearly haven't played yakuza or shenmue. People are alive and don't require button presses to come to life. Many of them have jobs, a history, a character etc.

4) the story is weak compared to other games who do a far better job.

5) quality over quantity means a lot to me. I rather it do one thing really well than everything okay. It is still no excuse since games like godfather, true crime and fallout have proven it is possible to make sandbox games with more depth and quality mechanics.

Godfather has an amazing combat and shooting mechanic aswell as true crime last gen. If these games can do it, there is no reason why gta can't.

6) you completely left out my last point where I clearly stated these were my opinions. You can't correct someones opinio, but you may ask the individual to explain himself to understand it better. Hence the reason why I respected your opinion and didn't comment on it.