By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why GTA IV, one of the 2 best games of this gen, received so much hate.

I liked GTA4 but not as much as the previous games of the series. I think it was not fun enough, yeah, there was tons of minigames, but it did not feel like a sandbox game anymore... and Liberty City is sad (okay, it's appropriate for the story). I'd rather see the next game taking place in Vice City or San Andreas, more sun, more hawaian shirts, more rednecks villages etc.

Around the Network

Some people hate it cause it wasn't a PS3 exclusive

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

gebx said:

I hate you and your flaming.

GTA4 offered less variety than even Vice City or San Andreas. It was hyped as the second coming, and it wasn't. It was a solid 8/10 game. That's it.

Carl2291 said:
gebx said:

He's not "flaming," he's posting "flamebait."  There's a difference.

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
Carl2291 said:
gebx said:

He's not "flaming," he's posting "flamebait."  There's a difference.

Either way... i hate him.

I waited for the reviews to come out before I purchased the game.  I thought that it would finally be the GTA that I would spend more than 10 hours or so on the story.  I was wrong.  While GTAIV was a great game, it wasn't a great game for me.  I basically ended up just running around killing people, running people over and running from the police.  I think it was too similar to the previous GTA games but they have a good thing going and I don't really see why they would change it.  I guess I thought since IGN gave it a 10/10 that maybe this would be the GTA for me. 

Hawk said:
txrattlesnake said:

3.  Yeah, but life itself is pretty repetitive.  So, trying to criticize a life simulator for being repetitive might have more to do with the nature of life itself.

Do you really play games in order to experience the repetitiveness of life?  Don't you already get enough of it?

Well, it wouldn't be any different from some folk's favorite Wii games in that respect.

because it doesn't deserve to be in the top 5 rated games of all time

"After you win, son, I feel like going for a ride on your bike, haha." ~Doc Louis (Punch Out Wii)

Fei-Hung said:
@txrattlesnake

1) my life is far from repetitive and comparing anyones life to gta4 is just simply stupid. There is a heaven and earth difference.

2) you said it yourself, it Tries to do a lot of things well. I cannot believe I have to bottle feed and explain but I will:

A) the shooting is average compared to any decent shooters
B) the driving is average compared to any decent driving game
C) the combat is average compared to any decent combat game

3) you clearly haven't played yakuza or shenmue. People are alive and don't require button presses to come to life. Many of them have jobs, a history, a character etc.

4) the story is weak compared to other games who do a far better job.

5) quality over quantity means a lot to me. I rather it do one thing really well than everything okay. It is still no excuse since games like godfather, true crime and fallout have proven it is possible to make sandbox games with more depth and quality mechanics.

Godfather has an amazing combat and shooting mechanic aswell as true crime last gen. If these games can do it, there is no reason why gta can't.

6) you completely left out my last point where I clearly stated these were my opinions. You can't correct someones opinio, but you may ask the individual to explain himself to understand it better. Hence the reason why I respected your opinion and didn't comment on it.

1.  No there isn't.

A.  Actually, the shooting is as good as it is in games like Splinter Cell and about equal to the shooting in Gears.

B.  The driving is quite good.  I much prefer it to the driving in serious driving games like Gran Turismo that I'm not very good at it.  I told the car to slam into those cars that were trying to box me in, and it did exactly what I wanted it to.

c.  The combat is a lot better than the combat in some games.  It actually feels more like the combat in Shenmue than in previous GTA games.

3.  You don't find them doing nearly as many things as they are in GTA.  One example would be the street preacher.  Also when was the last time that songs in Shenmue or Yakuza seemed to be a running commentary on what was going on in the game?

4.  GTA IV delivers an original story while The Godfather's story is just a remake, therefore GTA IV is more original.  GTA's story is original and more daring than in other games.  GTA actually comments on the fact the growing number of gangsters in the US are coming from Eastern European backgrounds like from Slovakia and Russia.  It is a very prescient story because as we will see as tensions tighten between Russia and the US in the coming years the Russian government is largely made up of gangsters that took over the country after the fall of the communists that want to make inroads into the US.

5.  The Godfather is just not as good as any of the GTAs.