By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why GTA IV, one of the 2 best games of this gen, received so much hate.

I hated it because I was completely bored with it. If it weren't for the cell phone, it would've been much better, IMO.

That being said, the technical merits of it were impressive. But just because a game is technically impressive doesn't mean it's good or fun. I found it to be neither.

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

Around the Network

Eh, Niko (depending on your choices) could of learned not to be caught in the cycle of revenge and hate. But no matter what outcome he gets punished for it, and ends up just confused.

Ever thought that some people just felt it as really limiting after coming from SA???

No blades, planes, flamethrower, Car modding, Gangs, shorter story, smaller map, etc.

Story and The tech used in GTA4 was great, no one's gonna say no to that.

4 ≈ One

Mostly because it was hyped beyond any kind of measure as the next coming of Mario and while it is a stellar game it's not the shining star of gaming excellence most people thought it'd be.

Then OFC there's the residual hate/less enthusiastic support by some people since it's one of the stolen exclusives by the shameful microsoft's thugs. The exclusive DLC announcement didn't help there.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

txrattlesnake said:
Hawk said:
txrattlesnake said:

3.  Yeah, but life itself is pretty repetitive.  So, trying to criticize a life simulator for being repetitive might have more to do with the nature of life itself.

Do you really play games in order to experience the repetitiveness of life?  Don't you already get enough of it?

Well, it wouldn't be any different from some folk's favorite Wii games in that respect.

So you are saying you don't mind repetitiveness.  Ok, cool.  It's a valid reason to contribute to not liking a game though, whether you personally mind it or not.  You said you didn't understand why people don't think it's one of the two best games this generation.  People are giving you their reasons.  I think what you are really having a problem with is understanding that everyone doesn't see everything the same as you, or have the same likes, dislikes, and preferences.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

Around the Network

At least gebx is consistant in hes contempt for the PS3 and its users.

assumption is the mother of all f**k ups 

txrattlesnake said:

GTA IV received several perfect scores when it was released, yet almost as soon as it did it received tons of negative feedback from the fan community.  However, I don't think any game has brought a city to life so well or had such a likeable protagonist in recent memory as did GTA IV.

The one ingredient missing from previous GTA games was the graphics, and GTA IV remedied that too.

However, I think I know why GTA IV became so hated.  PS3 fans didn't like it because it was on the 360.  360 fans didn't like it because many reviewers said its best version was the PS3 one, and Wii fans didn't like it because their console couldn't run it.

GTA IV hated by more people than almost any other game, yet still just as good as originally reviewed.

No, people hated because they expected it to have the EXACT same features GTA: SA did, which is just stupid

Favorite films. Foreign films forever!

Maybe GTA IV got 10s' because some people realized that it was a refreshing game to the series and knew it wasn't gonna have much of GTA: SA features

I swear, some of the hate for this game is ridiculous

-No planes
-Not enough stores (I can agree)
-No jets

Carl2291 said:
Second most over rated game this gen.
Recieved perfect scores on hype alone.
Way less content than the previous main GTA game (san andreas)
Complete downgrade in the series.

Boring characters. Boring missions.

Just talking about GTA4 makes me angry.

this is what I mean

a lot of people expected GTA IV to have most of the features GTA: SA had

I don't hate it, it was disappointing to me though.