By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - id Boss: 3rd-Party Wii Development "Not Really Justified"

WereKitten said:
NJ5 said:
@Werekitten: I'm talking about his statement saying 3rd parties in general shouldn't be interested on Wii. Not on the specific case of id (I mentioned it's not surprising they don't care about it given their background).

Substitute "id" with any studio going for high production value, multiplatform games with limited appeal on the Wii's extended audience (hint: that's most of what is developed on the 360/PS3) and the whole argument is intact.

It's not really intact. The problem with some studios and publishers is precisely that they're focusing on that kind of games. Clearly this kind of development is not for everybody (unless they don't intend to make profits).

Valve, iD and Epic are great at it though.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
WereKitten said:
NJ5 said:
@Werekitten: I'm talking about his statement saying 3rd parties in general shouldn't be interested on Wii. Not on the specific case of id (I mentioned it's not surprising they don't care about it given their background).

Substitute "id" with any studio going for high production value, multiplatform games with limited appeal on the Wii's extended audience (hint: that's most of what is developed on the 360/PS3) and the whole argument is intact.

It's not really intact. The problem with some studios and publishers is precisely that they're focusing on that kind of games. Clearly this kind of development is not for everybody (unless they don't intend to make profits).

Valve, iD and Epic are great at it though.

Not even Valve so much. Valve i think is very much in tune with Nintendo's "less is more" idea. They don't make these technically intensive games just to show off, unlike iD and Epic.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:

Not even Valve so much. Valve i think is very much in tune with Nintendo's "less is more" idea. They don't make these technically intensive games just to show off, unlike iD and Epic.

They might not go for the very latest bleeding edge eye-candy technology in their engine because they chose to have a very scalable one, but the production values are still through the roof. I don't really think that less money was spent in textures and models for HL2 than it was for Doom 3, and they had some great voice acting involving at least one famous actor.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

SaviorX said:
I've seen a video of Quake homebrew on the Wii, and it was very fast and fluid.

Just pointing that random occurrence out.

Quake and Doom have been ported to everything though.  There's probably a port out there for a microwave.

On topic: I think the id guy is right.

He's right.

PSN - hanafuda

Around the Network

I'd say it's not developing for the top selling, and less expensive to develop for, system is being justified here. It's just being pig-headed that's making developers still see HD development as default.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

It's funny how the console hate is cyclical. In Early 2008 we hated Microsoft, the last part of 2008 - early 2009 we hated Sony, and now we hate the Wii. Next up is Microsoft to start the cycle all over again.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

dbot said:
It's funny how the console hate is cyclical. In Early 2008 we hated Microsoft, the last part of 2008 - early 2009 we hated Sony, and now we hate the Wii. Next up is Microsoft to start the cycle all over again.

well I don't find the article fanboyish like MS and sony ones XD

WereKitten said:
Mr Khan said:

They might not go for the very latest bleeding edge eye-candy technology in their engine because they chose to have a very scalable one, but the production values are still through the roof. I don't really think that less money was spent in textures and models for HL2 than it was for Doom 3, and they had some great voice acting involving at least one famous actor.

Both Valve and iD are very atypical developers though. They have revenue streams that most don't have (Steam and engine licensing). They can afford to spend as long as they like making a game, due to their wide fanbase and the talent they have in game design which practically ensures good sales. The same goes for Epic which is also raking in the money from licensing Unreal Engine.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:

Just one more thing:

if you're a third-party developer, I would say, "Show me what makes such a compelling case for the Wii.

Here is what makes a compelling case for the Wii:

1- It has nearly 50% of market share.
2- It's the platform which sells the most 3rd party software.
3- It's the platform with the cheapest development costs.
4- Good quality 3rd party titles have had success on the platform.
5- By developing for the Wii, you'll make your company and franchises known to many new gamers, and keep the previously existing ones mindful of them. The alternative is to let Nintendo regain most of the attention and brand recognition.
6- Focusing on the other platforms is proving financially disastrous.

Aren't those enough reasons to make a serious effort with Wii development?

Right on.

Also, games like CoD: WaW are proving that you can have solid sales on these 3rd party games.

And what of the risk developing big ip's for the HD consoles, when 85 percent of the games bomb in sales? Sure, it's great if you're in the top 15 percent that have a huge hit, but there's a lot of risk there as MANY developers who are now out of business, or in the hole have found out.

Factor 5 and the Time Splitters developers would have a word for this guy, I think.

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!