By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - id Boss: 3rd-Party Wii Development "Not Really Justified"

Also, looking at the sales for ID's games on the HD consoles, I'd wager they've been outsold by every FPS game on the Wii. (I haven't checked the sales for Far Cry, so there may be ONE game they've outsold.)

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!

Around the Network
blackstar said:
dbot said:
It's funny how the console hate is cyclical. In Early 2008 we hated Microsoft, the last part of 2008 - early 2009 we hated Sony, and now we hate the Wii. Next up is Microsoft to start the cycle all over again.

well I don't find the article fanboyish like MS and sony ones XD

I was speaking in general.  It seems like the press has been focusing on the negatives with the Wii lately (alleged poor third party sales, and shrinking console sales in Japan).  I've been following the gaming press for a while, and it seems like they spread the hate around.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Shanobi said:
NJ5 said:

Just one more thing:

if you're a third-party developer, I would say, "Show me what makes such a compelling case for the Wii.

Here is what makes a compelling case for the Wii:

1- It has nearly 50% of market share.
2- It's the platform which sells the most 3rd party software.
3- It's the platform with the cheapest development costs.
4- Good quality 3rd party titles have had success on the platform.
5- By developing for the Wii, you'll make your company and franchises known to many new gamers, and keep the previously existing ones mindful of them. The alternative is to let Nintendo regain most of the attention and brand recognition.
6- Focusing on the other platforms is proving financially disastrous.

Aren't those enough reasons to make a serious effort with Wii development?

Right on.

Also, games like CoD: WaW are proving that you can have solid sales on these 3rd party games.

And what of the risk developing big ip's for the HD consoles, when 85 percent of the games bomb in sales? Sure, it's great if you're in the top 15 percent that have a huge hit, but there's a lot of risk there as MANY developers who are now out of business, or in the hole have found out.

Factor 5 and the Time Splitters developers would have a word for this guy, I think.

Free Radical is the company.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

*yawns* ...his funeral.

Not that id games are very succesful in consoles anway so who cares?

And I stopped caring about their games since Quake 2.

at least his excuses make more sense than the a-hole from Epic games.

is id even still relevant when you have much better FPS games like KZ2, Halo 3, Unreal, FEAR? id paved the way, but grandpa's on the respirator these days in comparison.

Around the Network

The Wii is such a strange "leader"...

LordTheNightKnight said:
I'd say it's not developing for the top selling, and less expensive to develop for, system is being justified here. It's just being pig-headed that's making developers still see HD development as default.

Because id's Rage would make oh so much more money if it was developed as a Wii exclusive. And HL2 would have been a much greater financial success.

Come on, the fact is that the PS3 and 360 are - for the first time around in console history - powerful enough to be considered a single platform with the PC and to share development tools and processes. Nintendo chose differently for its own business convenience, and is now paying that choice in terms of scarce support by the third party developers interested in this convergence.

Nintendo created the Wii platform as an island centered around themselves, because of these practical development reasons and because of the odd market placement. I am not surprised if third party developers chose for the greatest part to not stray from Nintendo's genre: they played it safe. That meant some nice games of the party/family friendly kind, some licensed titles and old franchises and a ton of shovelware. Everything else is niche.

The fact is that the Wii might have sold a lot of consoles, and the typical game might cost less,  but as a platform it is risky unless you accept to compromise on what kind of product you have to make. And not all developers will embrace this limitation.

They might instead accept to risk bigger upfront investments in the HD/PC market, but to keep building the portfolio they want because those IPs are their future.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

He's basically talking about developing 3rd party Wii exclusives.

CoD WaW is a port....

He's also right.

PSN - hanafuda

hanafuda said:
He's basically talking about developing 3rd party Wii exclusives.

CoD WaW is a port....

He's also right.

lol

LordTheNightKnight said:
Shanobi said:
NJ5 said:

Just one more thing:

if you're a third-party developer, I would say, "Show me what makes such a compelling case for the Wii.

Here is what makes a compelling case for the Wii:

1- It has nearly 50% of market share.
2- It's the platform which sells the most 3rd party software.
3- It's the platform with the cheapest development costs.
4- Good quality 3rd party titles have had success on the platform.
5- By developing for the Wii, you'll make your company and franchises known to many new gamers, and keep the previously existing ones mindful of them. The alternative is to let Nintendo regain most of the attention and brand recognition.
6- Focusing on the other platforms is proving financially disastrous.

Aren't those enough reasons to make a serious effort with Wii development?

Right on.

Also, games like CoD: WaW are proving that you can have solid sales on these 3rd party games.

And what of the risk developing big ip's for the HD consoles, when 85 percent of the games bomb in sales? Sure, it's great if you're in the top 15 percent that have a huge hit, but there's a lot of risk there as MANY developers who are now out of business, or in the hole have found out.

Factor 5 and the Time Splitters developers would have a word for this guy, I think.

Free Radical is the company.

Thank you. I had a brain fart. :D

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!