By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Majora's Mask: My first Impressions

So I decided to download Majora's Mask and play it for the first time.. I should just quickly give an overview of my Zelda history..

The first Zelda game I ever played was Wind Waker on the GameCube and because it was my first Zelda experience, I feel like that's how a Zelda game should be. When I say that I don't mean Zelda should have Oceans and sailing and cel shading but I feel the atmosphere was done very well in Wind Waker and the NPC's were interesting.. You knew where you had to go next but you could sail off anywhere and find islands and explore and you weren't punished for doing that but you also didn't HAVE to go searching aimlessly.

After that, my next Zelda game was Twilight Princess. This one for me was a departure from the Zelda I knew but it also felt as if this is where the universe really belonged.. Having had the whole flooding story in Wind Waker, it was a nice feeling to be in the legendary land of Hyrule in some parallel time. The story was done well and the character development, especially of Midna was enjoyable but for me, the world wasn't as believable as Wind Waker even with the realistic take on the world.. However I did really enjoy it but it would take a back seat to WW when looking back..

Next I downloaded Ocarina of Time. Having never played it, I had a friend come over and we played through the game together, taking turns (he did the water temple :P ) and finally finishing the game.. I know for a fact that if I had been playing it alone, I'd have turned to a guide.. It really did make you feel like you were lost, like you were a child in a huge world and you had to do everything yourself.. For me, the game felt like a 1998 take on Twilight Princess but it seemed to be more daring, the Lens of Truth was something I found a very interesting addition to the game. Also the entire game seemed to feel more real than Twilight Princess and it felt like it had better pacing.. What I hated though was the framerate.. It took away from the experience a little but I eventually got used to it..

Now I can't say much about Link to the Past because I haven't gotten very far into it as of yet.. So far though it feels like an adventure title much more than OoT, in that you can explore the world without feeling lost and so it's more enjoyable in that sense, however so far I don't think I could place it above any of the 3D Zelda games that I've played including Phantom Hourglass which I thought was a really good portable title but didn't live up to it's prequel..

OK so now I've only just started MM, just finished the first 3 days, however a few things are clear to me already..

The graphics are vastly improved over OoT. I especially like the character models much more now that the faces have outlines and have much more discernable facial features.. Also the frame rate is no longer a problem and the draw distances are clearly improved. 

The production values seem to be higher.. The whole first section before you reach Clocktown is very well done.. Skullkid is chilling and the whole situation throws you out of your comfort zone almost instantly..

This title has those big ideas that Zelda needs.. you play the entire first 3 days as a deku shrub! Again this goes back to throwing you out of your comfort zone. You are no longer Link, you don't have sword to fight with but you blow bubbles at enemies.. As soon as you reach Clocktown you don't think to yourself 'OK gotta collect ruppes to buy a shield, to get to the first dungeon and beat that to get my first weapon etc..' what you think is.. Shit I have 3 days to get back the Ocarina and that guys mask.. How long does a day go in this game? Where the fuck am I? Where's this fairy? Shit lets go and explore this place really quickly, I gotta find the fairy.. How do I progress without a sword and shield? I'm a freaking Deku Scrub!'  

And the last thing I've noticed is something that I think guarantees my liking of this game.. It feels live the prequel to Wind Waker.. The character models are leaning more to cel shading than the polygonistic realism that OoT went for, the music, oh the music! The music is wonderful, it feels like it belongs in this game but you can also hear thise little Wind Waker-esque sections.. The fact that it's different just like Wind Waker would have been to gamers who stated with OoT or earlier and would hae felt that the sailing got in the way of their dungeons or what ever well youu can tell with MM that it really was the precursor to WW I mean look at the subtitles: MM, WW they're just flipped versions of eachother :P

So as I continue my voyage into the 'Experimental Zelda' I think what I'm going to feel is that Zelda Wii better be to TP what MM was to OoT, something completely different that throws Zelda fans out of their comfort zone while still retaining that same Zelda essence and feel.. 

Around the Network

It better be here monday...or i'll mad....but glad your enjoying it so far

If Zelda Wii is to TP what MM is to OoT, I will probably die from happiness.

MM is amazing. Amazing amazing amazing.

The best part about it is that every time I play the game, I always find something new about it to think about. The story goes so deep in so many different ways, and there are sooooo many details and things that are easy to miss out on.

wfz said:
If Zelda Wii is to TP what MM is to OoT, I will probably die from happiness.

MM is amazing. Amazing amazing amazing.

The best part about it is that every time I play the game, I always find something new about it to think about. The story goes so deep in so many different ways, and there are sooooo many details and things that are easy to miss out on.

plz stop gettin me hyped...i'll be depressed if its not here monday

I´m still waiting,I recently beat Oot.

Around the Network

Hmm, thats such a weird way to expierience the series. But kudos to you. I like Majora's Mask a lot.

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

griffinA said:
Hmm, thats such a weird way to expierience the series. But kudos to you. I like Majora's Mask a lot.

yea he/she played backwards

Majora's Mask is so amazing. It's the only Zelda that I needed help on the second playthrough. -_-

MM is my favorite of the series. It's so much like "Ground Hog's Day" meets the Zelda universe. I love the time travel, and having to take notice of what happens where and when.

Great stuff! Oh! And the mood is incredible. By day 3 you feel the urgency really kicking in.

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!

MM is easily my favorite Zelda game...