By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - JRPG's Definitive Top 10 JRPG List.

To keep the list from being half one series i'm only counting the best game from each series. This list does not include SRPGs.

10) Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht (PS2)

A JRPG set in space is a difficult thing to come by, a JRPG set in space that is good is even harder to come by. Xenosaga Episode I, is just such a game. It is a magnificently crafted JRPG with great production values, a very deep well written storyline, and a surprisingly fun battle system. Its cut scenes top the charts at nearly 8 hours. I think thats a record it still holds today.

9) Suikoden II (PS1)

Suikoden II improved upon its predecessor in a few ways. It had a deeper story, with better characters. Suikoden II to this day is still the best in the series only rivaled by Suikoden V. Suikoden II is one of the most sought after and expensive (A new unopened copy sells for up to $200 on eBay.) JRPGS in existence. This game innovated the JRPG genre allowing you to recruit over 100 followers at least half were playable. This was...no is truly a great JRPG.

8) Chrono Cross (PS1)

I know what you are thinking. "Why not Chrono Trigger?". Well to tell the truth, I personally liked Cross better. Something about the game just wowed me. Maybe it was the masterfully done soundtrack, or the incredible cut scenes, or even the cast of interesting characters, but one thing is for sure; Chrono Cross is one of  the best JRPGs ever made.

7) Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of The Cursed King (PS2)

I admit that i have never played DQ 1-7, mainly because of the battle system. Dragon Quest VIII on the other hand finally brought the series out of the 1980's. You could now see your character during battles. This game had a rich story line, and an interesting cast of characters. When playing this game you feel like you are playing an old school JRPG with better graphics, which is a good thing. DQVIII also had a free roaming feel to it. It was a bit reminiscent of the Zelda series. DQVIII: what a great game indeed.

6) Tales of Vesperia (360, PS3)

Many people wondered if any Tales game would ever be as good as Tales of Symponia. While Tales of the Abyss came close it was not quite as good.  Finally Tales of Vesperia came out on the Xbox 360. This game set new ground with the introduction of a main character who was not your run of the mill JRPG hero. In fact i will go as far to say that Yuri, the main character, was an Anti Hero. The game made it clear that he was when it introduced Yuri's rival, Flynn, a typical do gooder JRPG hero, whom was only a secondary character. I personally hope many JRPGs will us this type of character, Yuri, as their main character. The game itself was amazing. Top voice acting, deep story, great cast of character, and fantastic gameplay. This game had it all.

5) Golden Sun: The Lost Age (GBA)

The sequel to the hit GBA game "Golden Sun", The Lost Age improved on the already great game. You could even port over the characters from the first game and have them be in your party. This game was just awesome. It had a great story and even had some interesting puzzles along the way.  The only problem i have with this game is that there is not a 3rd one. Come on Nintendo.

4) Pokemon Red/Blue (GB)

What can i say about Pokemon? Pokemon is one of the most magical, fantastic gaming experiences you can ever have. The only problem is if you missed the train back in the late 90's, you won't have as fun as the rest of us. Pokemon is one of those things that come along once in a life time. It touches you deep in your heart, and you will always love it. Thats why there are 20 year old men and women today who still gotta catch 'em all.

3) Persona 4 (PS2)

How can you make a great game better? Thats what many Persona 3 fans asked themselves when Persona 4 was announced. To everyone's delight; Atlus delivered. Persona 4 is everything you could ask for in a JRPG and more. It has an fantastic story that can be serious and dark one moment and silly and lighthearted the next. Throw in the "dating sim" and awesome "pokemon-esq" monster collecting element, and you have yourself a great game.

2) Lost Odyssey (360)

Lost Odyssey surprised everyone with how good it was. When you think about it though, how could it have been bad? It did come from the mind of Hironobu Sakaguchi, the creator of Final Fantasy after all. LO is and will most likely be the best JRPG this console generation. This game had an truly great story with and even richer backstory. There are parts of this game that will literally make you cry. Never have i experienced a game that made me cry that much. Lost Odyssey has found its place in video gaming history, and it will be remembered for a long time.

1) Final Fantasy VII (PS1, PC)

You knew this was coming, you knew it before you even opened the thread. There is a reason everyone says this is the greatest JRPG ever, its because its true. Final Fantasy VII, No matter if you like it or not has influenced JRPGs for over a decade now. It made JRPGs more popular than ever before upon its release, and it innovated the JRPG genre with its deep and emotional story line, and top notch gameplay. Whether you love the game or hate it, Final Fantasy VII is still the king.

Around the Network

OK, I do have some issues. No that's not true, I have loads of issues.

And since you present it as the "definitive list" I feel I should correct you on some fronts.

1) Chrono Cross is absolutely NOTHING compared to Chrono Trigger. Chrono Trigger should be at least in the top3.
2) Lost Odyssey doesn't belong in a top 10 JRPGs ever. Let alone on #2.
3) Xenogears is missing

I kinda like your list. I would rate Lost Odyssey number 1.

Lost odyssey is a joke compared to what we would call "Top Ten JRPG" your list is like upside down to me.
besides i never considered pokemon to be an awesome JRPG , its a simple casual one but thats all.

I only played 2 of the games listed (and I own 3 of them), but I still disagree with this list.

Around the Network

Oh wait this is your personal opinion ? , ahh i see, then i cant say i disagree cause its personal opinion , well on this case you shouldn't say its "Definitive" then.

I was certainly expecting Final Fantasy, but I was most definitely not expecting that Final Fantasy. Even though it's not my personal favorite, I still say FFVI takes the cake.

Using your system of one per series I would change Final Fantasy 7 to Final Fantasy 6 and keep it first. I would also switch to Chrono Trigger (I do love Chrono Cross as well) and move Chrono Trigger up to spot 2. I hated Dragon Quest 8 and have not played Lost Odyssey nor any Pokemon games so I cannot comment on those pics. I would probably put Secret of Mana and Vagrant Story somewhere on the list. I agree with your picks 10,9,4 and could go either way with Tales of Vesperia or Tales of Symphonia (loved them both)

Pokemon?? lost odyssey is no 2 it dont belong i the top 30??......ok..ok its ur opinion

and i can respect that.

Mine are (in no order)

parasite eve
FFX
FVII
legend of Dragoon
Shadow Hearts
digital devil Saga
xenogears
Valkyria Chronicles
kingdom hearts
Legend of Legia

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

Good list but I would have Skies of Arcadia and Grandia 2 from the DC, also ToS from The GC, in my list.

-UBISOFT BOYCOTT!-