By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - JRPG's Definitive Top 10 JRPG List.

JRPG said:
PullusPardus said:
Lost odyssey is a joke compared to what we would call "Top Ten JRPG" your list is like upside down to me.
besides i never considered pokemon to be an awesome JRPG , its a simple casual one but thats all.

Like i said if you missed the train back in 98 then you just don't understand.

uh.. no if you mean pokemon i used to play all the time  on gameboy when i was younger , it was so popular and it was a bomb , but now its the same thing and it wasnt THAT good in the first place since i started playing more RPGs

Around the Network

Good to see Tales of Vesperia on the list. There need to be more main leads like Yuri Lowell, he was to freaking awesome. Final Fantasy 7 was a great game as well. But you list is missing the greatest jrpg of all time Xenogears. Final Fantasy X was a great game as well.

JRPG said:
BengaBenga said:

OK, I do have some issues. No that's not true, I have loads of issues.

And since you present it as the "definitive list" I feel I should correct you on some fronts.

1) Chrono Cross is absolutely NOTHING compared to Chrono Trigger. Chrono Trigger should be at least in the top3.
2) Lost Odyssey doesn't belong in a top 10 JRPGs ever. Let alone on #2.
3) Xenogears is missing

Xenogears is great, but i had to axe something. Chrono Cross to me was much better tha Trigger, and LO is fantastic. There are many people who agree that LO is one of the best JRPGs ever.

I never heard anyone say that LO is one of the best JRPGs ever. It's a good one and the written stories are absolutely fabulous. I also like the leveling and the characters, but the story is rather lame and the skill linking is just too messy. Also it's completely linear and it you only achieve freedom from disc 4. Definitely an 8 or something, but nowhere close to one of the best JRPGs ever.

And Chrono Cross is really nowhere close to Trigger.

BengaBenga said:
JRPG said:
BengaBenga said:

OK, I do have some issues. No that's not true, I have loads of issues.

And since you present it as the "definitive list" I feel I should correct you on some fronts.

1) Chrono Cross is absolutely NOTHING compared to Chrono Trigger. Chrono Trigger should be at least in the top3.
2) Lost Odyssey doesn't belong in a top 10 JRPGs ever. Let alone on #2.
3) Xenogears is missing

Xenogears is great, but i had to axe something. Chrono Cross to me was much better tha Trigger, and LO is fantastic. There are many people who agree that LO is one of the best JRPGs ever.

I never heard anyone say that LO is one of the best JRPGs ever. It's a good one and the written stories are absolutely fabulous. I also like the leveling and the characters, but the story is rather lame and the skill linking is just too messy. Also it's completely linear and it you only achieve freedom from disc 4. Definitely an 8 or something, but nowhere close to one of the best JRPGs ever.

And Chrono Cross is really nowhere close to Trigger.

BengaBenga is a RPG/JRPG historian

are these the only JRPG's you have played? because a lot of those are crap, or in the wrong order. IMO suikoden II should be much higher, lost oddyssey, while good, should not be in the top 10 by any means.

Around the Network
gergroy said:
are these the only JRPG's you have played? because a lot of those are crap, or in the wrong order. IMO suikoden II should be much higher, lost oddyssey, while good, should not be in the top 10 by any means.

Its his personal opinion though.

g-value said:
gergroy said:

I know, but the word definitive makes it sound official and it really isn't anywhere near what most people would think.

I do think it is great that he actually does have suikoden II on his list, it was a very underaprecitated game. 

gergroy said:
g-value said:
gergroy said:

I know, but the word definitive makes it sound official and it really isn't anywhere near what most people would think.

I do think it is great that he actually does have suikoden II on his list, it was a very underaprecitated game. 

That is why it says "JRPG's Definitive Top 10 JRPG List". His name is JRPG.

I disagree with this entirely though but a man's opinion is a man's opinion.

Lost Odyssey isn't even close to belonging on a top 10 list, let alone a top 25 list.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:
gergroy said:
g-value said:
gergroy said:

That is why it says "JRPG's Definitive Top 10 JRPG List". His name is JRPG.

I disagree with this entirely though but a man's opinion is a man's opinion.

Lost Odyssey isn't even close to belonging on a top 10 list, let alone a top 25 list.

agreed.

Lost Oddysey started out really good, but it went downhill when they introduced the kids.  Then when the actuall conflict was revealed I couldn't help but think how retarded it was.  I think my 5 year old niece could have written a better story.

this list is blasphemy without legend of the dragoon.