By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is Uncharted And KZ2 The PS3 Gears And Halo Titles?...

No they are not. Playstation has never been a system defined by just a few games. It is the multitude of variety that makes it such a great platform. So while the XBOX has its Halo and Gears, Playstation has its wide selection that appeal to a very differing fanbases(Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, God of War, Little Big Planet, Grand Turismo, Motorstorm, Warhawk, Wipeout, Twisted Metal, Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, Valkyria Chronicles, etc)

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Around the Network
forevercloud3000 said:
No they are not. Playstation has never been a system defined by just a few games. It is the multitude of variety that makes it such a great platform. So while the XBOX has its Halo and Gears, Playstation has its wide selection that appeal to a very differing fanbases(Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, God of War, Little Big Planet, Grand Turismo, Motorstorm, Warhawk, Wipeout, Twisted Metal, Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, Valkyria Chronicles, etc)

And this is why people always say PS3 exclusives flop. It was never a brand built on 1 game like XBox and Halo, so its exclusives dont have that massive following. Nintendo built Mario into a brand, as well as the Zelda franchise. MS did the same with Halo and Gears. Sony never really did that with any franchise to where it had an extremely rabid group of fans that large. The closest they have come is MGS, GTA (before they lost exclusivity), and Gran Turismo. I believe if GTA4 wasnt on 360 it would have outsold Halo 3 first week and LTD. Its the only franchise right now that has as much exposure as Mario and Halo.

If you owned an XBox or bought a 360 early in the life cycle, you probably did it for Halo and only Halo. Everything else was the icing on the cake. With the PS1 and PS2, there were many games that grouped together sold the machine. I dont say this hatefully, but all I hear from fans (not fanboys) of the 360 is Halo and Gears most of the time. And maybe some of the exclusive RPGs. As far as exclusives go anyway. Meanwhile, ask a Sony fan (again, not fanboy) what they like this gen and you get Killzone, Uncharted, LBP, Resistance, Valkyria Chronicles, MGS4.....There's just a longer list of exclusives that pulled fans in. The 360 has been getting it done with mostly multiplat games thus far.

I am a gamer. Not a fanboy, not a troll, a gamer. So when you dont like what I have to say, remember this fact.

ur right...sony was a platform defined by this great variety but news...the ps2 days are over...some of these arent viable ips and although sony still boasts a considerably healthy diversity in it's library the quality of these games is waning...and 360 and wii have just as diverse if not more(as is the case with 360)IMO

Halo 3, gears 1 and 2, left for dead, mass effect, bioshock(until recently) fable 2, pgr, oblivion, tales of vesperia, star ocean 4, halo wars, lego indiana jones, fallout (dl content) banjo kazooie: nuts and bolts, DDR, call of juarez, lips, infinite undiscovery, the lost planet franchise

Uncharted is the PS3's Tomb Raiders, not Gears. Yes, it uses a cover system like Gears, but it is more Tomb Raiders.

and microsoft didnt build halo and gears into a franchise, nor did nintendo with mario. Mario and halo became iconic figures of their respective companies and the video game industry period because they defined the systems they were on. Both came at the start of their systems and were great IPs, which fueled their systems to success. They became the face of MS and ninty.

Gears was just a great tps that caught on, much like l4d was a great fps zombie thriller that caught on, as was mass effect and bioshock, all these games had similar sales.

And there is no way for any company to "build" an ip into a brand
if anything any company wish that happened with every exclusive they produced.

Around the Network
dcIKeeL said:
and microsoft didnt build halo and gears into a franchise, nor did nintendo with mario. Mario and halo became iconic figures of their respective companies and the video game industry period because they defined the systems they were on. Both came at the start of their systems and were great IPs, which fueled their systems to success. They became the face of MS and ninty.

Gears was just a great tps that caught on, much like l4d was a great fps zombie thriller that caught on, as was mass effect and bioshock, all these games had similar sales.

Bad choice of wording. I'm sorry. 

But my point really was Sony never had a "Face Of Playstation." The closest was Crash Bandicoot. 

I am a gamer. Not a fanboy, not a troll, a gamer. So when you dont like what I have to say, remember this fact.

dcIKeeL said:
ur right...sony was a platform defined by this great variety but news...the ps2 days are over...some of these arent viable ips and although sony still boasts a considerably healthy diversity in it's library the quality of these games is waning...and 360 and wii have just as diverse if not more(as is the case with 360)IMO

Halo 3, gears 1 and 2, left for dead, mass effect, bioshock(until recently) fable 2, pgr, oblivion, tales of vesperia, star ocean 4, halo wars, lego indiana jones, fallout (dl content) banjo kazooie: nuts and bolts, DDR, call of juarez, lips, infinite undiscovery, the lost planet franchise

Most of those are shooters:Halo3,(critically acclaimed) Gears1, gears 2, left for dead, call of juarez. (technically Mass Effect should be here as well for it has strong TPS qualities)

RPGs:Fable2, Mass Effect(critically acclaimed) , were good to great

Racing:PGR

Party Games:DDR, Lips,

Action/Adventure:banjo

Others were Multiplat:Tales of Vesperia(for PS3 later this year with better graphics, more voice acting, extra characters and content) Bioshock, Fallout 3(Sry but dl content is not enough to claim as an exclusive game for you need the initial game in the first place to play it.)Lost Planet was on PS3 as well, lego indiana jones

Crapy Games that should never be bragged about: Infinite Undiscovery, Star Ocean

--------------------------------------------------------------------------VS--------------------------------------

Shooters:Killzone 2(critically acclaimed), Resistance 1 & 2

RPGs: Disgaea 3, Valkyria Chronicles(critically acclaimed), Folklore

Racing: Grand Turismo:Prologue(most popular racing series to date), Motorstorm, MS2

Party Games: LBP(game of the year and heralded by many developers), Singstar(very popular in EU), Eye of Judgement

Action/Adventure:Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, Ratchet and Clank ToD, RaC:Q4B

You see how PS3 touches on more even amount of games of every genre? Much more so then 360. And with Playstation's games their is always that refined touch to the games(more so than 360). And dont forget PS3 will have a few more bulking up its library of spectacular games:Infamous(Sanbox Action), Heavy Rain(Adventure?), God of War(action), Mag(shooter), WKC(RPG), Demon Soul(RPG), Mars(RPG), Eye Pet(Party), GT5(Racing), Team ICO game(adventure)

You see, the PS3's library is much more diverse and a(dare I say) higher level of quality comes from their games overall.

Greatness Awaits

JerzeeBalla said:
dcIKeeL said:

Bad choice of wording. I'm sorry. 

But my point really was Sony never had a "Face Of Playstation." The closest was Crash Bandicoot. 

umm......what?

Halo Slurpies and a decade worth of Mario advertising say otherwise.....

what you smoking?

Greatness Awaits

forevercloud3000 said:
dcIKeeL said:

Most of those are shooters:Halo3,(critically acclaimed) Gears1, gears 2, left for dead, call of juarez. (technically Mass Effect should be here as well for it has strong TPS qualities)

RPGs:Fable2, Mass Effect(critically acclaimed) , were good to great

Racing:PGR

Party Games:DDR, Lips,

Action/Adventure:banjo

Others were Multiplat:Tales of Vesperia(for PS3 later this year with better graphics, more voice acting, extra characters and content) Bioshock, Fallout 3(Sry but dl content is not enough to claim as an exclusive game for you need the initial game in the first place to play it.)Lost Planet was on PS3 as well, lego indiana jones

Crapy Games that should never be bragged about: Infinite Undiscovery, Star Ocean

--------------------------------------------------------------------------VS--------------------------------------

Shooters:Killzone 2(critically acclaimed), Resistance 1 & 2

RPGs: Disgaea 3, Valkyria Chronicles(critically acclaimed), Folklore

Racing: Grand Turismo:Prologue(most popular racing series to date), Motorstorm, MS2

Party Games: LBP(game of the year and heralded by many developers), Singstar(very popular in EU), Eye of Judgement

Action/Adventure:Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, Ratchet and Clank ToD, RaC:Q4B

You see how PS3 touches on more even amount of games of every genre? Much more so then 360. And with Playstation's games their is always that refined touch to the games(more so than 360). And dont forget PS3 will have a few more bulking up its library of spectacular games:Infamous(Sanbox Action), Heavy Rain(Adventure?), God of War(action), Mag(shooter), WKC(RPG), Demon Soul(RPG), Mars(RPG), Eye Pet(Party), GT5(Racing), Team ICO game(adventure)

You see, the PS3's library is much more diverse and a(dare I say) higher level of quality comes from their games overall.

No, I see that you stacked the deck in the PS3's favour and then called it a winner.

Tease.

The 4 games are all way to different. I don't get the Uncharted/Gears comparison one bit I might add.

4 ≈ One