By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The 360 a software monster? The Wii a software wimp? I don't think so...

noname2200 said:
HappySqurriel said:

...even though Okami sold more on the Wii than PS2...

Just jumping in to point out that this isn't the case. This site's data is highly incomplete: Okami Wii's worldwide sales are roughly equivalent to the Okami PS2's America sales, from what Sven said.

While that is a good point, I thought I saw somwhere where Capcom even admitted to this one though (and who here actually believes Sven when he talked about the Wii and sales).

Mike form Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network

I see. In that case I have one more contribution to this thread.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

mike_intellivision said:
noname2200 said:
HappySqurriel said:

...even though Okami sold more on the Wii than PS2...

Just jumping in to point out that this isn't the case. This site's data is highly incomplete: Okami Wii's worldwide sales are roughly equivalent to the Okami PS2's America sales, from what Sven said.

While that is a good point, I thought I saw somwhere where Capcom even admitted to this one though (and who here actually believes Sven when he talked about the Wii and sales).

Mike form Morgantown

I think you're referring to the quote where they said the Wii version met expectations or some such from about two weeks ago, right? If that's the case, the two needn't be mutually exclusive: since Ready At Dawn has told us that Okami Wii was essentially ported over by a six-man group (maximum twelve at crunch time) for a few-month period, it wouldn't need to sell even a fraction of the PS2's copies to mee the (moderate) expectations.

Although I agree with you about Svennson. I don't know exactly when the Wii stuck a stick up his a**, but it's time he lets it go.

i dont like that math. Attatch rates are the best way to go as they show total games per console. Sure the wiis games per week are higher but thats a NO BRAINER because the 360 has been out an extra year when there wernt many games out and very few people could even buy a 360. In the end the 360 still sells more games per person.

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

1337 Gamer said:
i dont like that math. Attatch rates are the best way to go as they show total games per console. Sure the wiis games per week are higher but thats a NO BRAINER because the 360 has been out an extra year when there wernt many games out and very few people could even buy a 360. In the end the 360 still sells more games per person.

For the bolded, you do realize that makes the Gamecube the best software-seller of the last generation, and the PS2 far and away the worst, right? Care to reconsider that statement now?

For the italicized, I could have sworn that (save for the extra year portion) those exact same complaints are levelled at the Wii, but in treble. As for the extra year part, that actually helps the 360's attach rate....(attach rates are supposed to rise with time, especially if there aren't a rush of new hardware buyers. Do you see why?)

For the underlined, I'm 99% sure that's completely irrelevant to a software publisher who cares more about total sales, not voraciousness of the base. See the bolded commentary for further details.

Around the Network

Thank you Noname. I couldn't have said it better.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

1337 Gamer said:

That's right, and there were no Wii shortages.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

theRepublic said:
goddog said:
unfortunately this graphic suffer form the same thing all like it suffer from the inability to remove bundled software from all platforms, and no way to track used game sales.

nice try though always a fun time with graphs

Used games don't make money for publishers or developers.

I already explained why I think Wii Sports should be included.

Your opinion doesn't matter any more than his does.  Taking Wii Sports out in one graph and leave it in on the other.  Do some experimenting... use only 3rd party titles or only first party titles...

@OP

The graphs show much more pronounced falls and fluctuations than what I would expect when dividing by an integrated quantity.

That's what the software "total sales" you mentioned are, right? The total sales of software for that console over its entire history.

Website-related question: where can I access the sales data in a spreadsheet-friendly format?

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

noname2200 said:
1337 Gamer said:

For the bolded, you do realize that makes the Gamecube the best software-seller of the last generation, and the PS2 far and away the worst, right? Care to reconsider that statement now?

For the italicized, I could have sworn that (save for the extra year portion) those exact same complaints are levelled at the Wii, but in treble. As for the extra year part, that actually helps the 360's attach rate....(attach rates are supposed to rise with time, especially if there aren't a rush of new hardware buyers. Do you see why?)

For the underlined, I'm 99% sure that's completely irrelevant to a software publisher who cares more about total sales, not voraciousness of the base. See the bolded commentary for further details.

Not true. As I said in a recent PM to BHR-3.... there are two factors in why using standard attach ratio's doesn't always work.... the first is time. Time sells games, so the longer amount of time people have owned their console (while it is still being supported) the more games they buy.

The second thing that affects it is that IF TIME IS EQUATED between 2 consoles, then it is natural for whichever console sells the most to have the lower attach ratio.

Where you are wrong, is that the GameCube attach ratio ended at about 9.7 games per system... the PS2 is at about 10.5 to 11 games per system now. This is because time is a more important factor in increasing attach ratio than selling more consoles decreases it.... The PS2 released before the GC by over a year, (in Japan a year and a half) but also has had the chance to increase it's attach ratio more in 2006/7 and 8 when the GameCube was dieing.

The GameCube increased it's attach ratio much faster because it was a lower selling system.... in fact, about 1.5 years from worldwide launch (which gives the PS2 and advantage as it took so long to release out of Japan) The GameCube had a ratio of 6.3 compared to the PS2 at 5.6 (attempting to take away some of the PS2s advantage with Japan puts it almost dow to 5 games per system)

So while you are correct in saying standard attach ratio should not be used like 1337 thinks.... because if you go back 1 year, the X360 ratio isn't much higher than Wii or PS3... you are incorrect in saying GC ratio was higher than PS2, even if the major reason why it was higher was because of extra time. (which is the main reason X360 ratio is higher now)