By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Almost bought a Wii today.

Think about this.

Wii -- $250
Wii Play/wimote -- $50
nunchuk -- $20
RE4 -- $30
MP3 -- $50
(any two other games) -- $100 max

That's a total of $500 for 6 games (5 listed plus sports) and an extra controller for the price of one 60G PS3 w/o any games and one controller.

If you keep you PS2, then you also have a DVD player. So you don't need a standalone unit.

Then save money and next holiday you will probably be able to get a PS3 80g model for

Around the Network

oh you silly people...

Anyways, I'm going to view this from a strictly financial point of view. The Wii's sales success means that if you decide to sell the Wii a few months down the line, you'll be able to for full sales price. No harm no foul. At the same time, the PS3 may get a price cut down the line. So you can purchase a Wii now and still view it as part of your PS3 savings.

yup, get a Wii, play the hell out of RE4, Metroid 3, Zelda and any other games you're interested in, and then put it back on the market and keep all your shiny PS3 savings money.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Sounds like you're on a limited budget.

Let's assume that you'd have a blast playing games on either platform. So the fun factor is equal for the base hardware and they both have an equally fun library of games for you right now or in the near future.

By the time you've scraped together enough cash for a PS3 and one game, you could have a Wii and a half-dozen games. Basically I'm saying that if the conditions in the previous paragraph are true, the fun per dollar of the Wii platform would be better than for the PS3.

Now you have to factor in your personal preferences. If hi-res graphics make things more fun for you, you might be satisfied with having a PS3 with fewer games because they're shinier. If excellent motion controls make things more fun for you, the balance shifts more towards the Wii. The content of the games libraries might also influence your decision, if you simply must have MGS4 or if you hate Mario for some reason.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Get the PS3. The Wii doesn't have as many great games coming out. By the end of this year, the PS3 will probably have close to 75 great games. The Wii, on the other hand, will probably have around 40, which isn't that good. I don't know about you guys, but I would rather have a ton amazing games, which is what the PS3 will offer. However, if you're into having a few of the greatest games of all-time, get the Wii.

MontanaHatchet said:
thetonestarr said:
I'm a Nintendo fan, but I'm an objective one, as I own 4 PCs and a PS2 with just as many games as I have for my Wii.

Here's the breakdown.

Wii = $250
PS3 = $600

Wii games = <$50
PS3 games = >$60

Wii controls = more comfortable controller for most, more versatile controller, more abilities (1 less axis of sensing, yes, but the Sensor Bar is able to negate most of that issue, not to mention sense actual 3D positioning and therefore be used for aiming).

PS3 controls = No rumble (presently), more motion sensing abilities, but so far it's been fairly mediocre and buggy (oftentimes has to be done an exact, certain way or else it doesn't work at all).

Wii = Complete GCN backwards compatibility + backlog of many NES, SNES, N64, TG16, and Genesis games.

PS3 = PS1 and PS2 backwards compatibility (making for a VERY large backlog of games), but not 100% complete.

Wii = Lower resolution, less powerful graphics

PS3 = Extremely high graphical ability, much higher resolution, but very low RAM (making it difficult for developers to USE PS3's abilities).

Wii = 512MB flash storage

PS3 = 60/80GB hard drive storage

Lastly, the PS3 has little to nothing of value out YET (besides Resistance, if that's even your cup of tea). It WILL have a lot of value out, but for what price? It depends on if $60+ is worth it for a game in your view.

Meanwhile, the Wii has a larger catalog of valuable games out so far (although not MANY that are widely accepted as "good"... most are "cult hits" or casual games (but still extremely fun!)). Its games are cheaper (many MUCH cheaper), and it also has a very strong library on the way. Most everybody can agree that the Wii is lots of fun, and when you can say that AND promise that a strong library is on the way, while the PS3 only has the promise of a possibly strong library... yeah, that's saying a lot.

In the end, I think you'd likely have a better time gaming on the Wii, and it'd hurt your wallet much less. As in, by the end of the generation, you will likely find yourself $350-$1k better off for deciding on the Wii, depending on how much gaming you do.

We have a little saying in Montana...

That was full of more bullshit than a rodeo floor. Do you have any idea what you're talking about? I mean, I'm not going to go on a fanboy rant, because that's incredibly pointless, but you found every possible opportunity to put down the PS3.

So, Resistance is the only good game? That must be why PS3 games are getting worse reviews than Wii games.

Oh, wait.....damn.

Plus, the PS3 is $500. You sound like you went to E3 06, trolled the forums for 6 months, and then completely stopped reading anything after that.

Normally I wouldn't care, but you can't look at that post and not see how biased it is.

(1) Maybe you didn't read my entire post, because I definitely said quite a number of things that the PS3 has over the Wii.

(2) PS3 games are getting good reviews, sure, but I don't see anybody talking about them a month later. I've not seen anybody talking about any PS3 games a month later, except Resistance.

(3) That's a 60gb PS3,  I was referring to the 80gb (just like EVERY OTHER PERSON IN THE WORLD that talks about price comparisons, picking top-cost version of the system). I understand that the 80gb MAY drop in price, but that's only a possibility.

Besides,  MontanaHatchet, I've seen you around the boards all over the place since you first appeared. You're really one to talk about "bias".

SW-5120-1900-6153

Around the Network
HELLFISH said:
The thing is, I grew up on the PS2, so the PS3 just seems like a logical next step. The system is marketed pretty good too, with the whole media thing in one package is great.. one unit on my flat panel to play movies and play games. It sounds really cool. But there is some really good points here with the cost thing that I haven't really thought about. After I bought my PS3, I'd have motorstorm and that's about it. I could afford a new game probably every other month, with some rentals scattered around. With the Wii I could get a few of the fun games right off the bat.

I grew up on Nintendo NES/SNES and Sega, however, when the PS2 hit and had more games that I would paly on it, I snapped that up long before I got a Gamecube. I eventually did get a GC but it wasn't until the games I wanted on it were already out.

It just doesn't seem logical to have a system with no games to paly. 'nuff said.

grandmaster192 said:
Get the PS3. The Wii doesn't have as many great games coming out. By the end of this year, the PS3 will probably have close to 75 great games. The Wii, on the other hand, will probably have around 40, which isn't that good. I don't know about you guys, but I would rather have a ton amazing games, which is what the PS3 will offer. However, if you're into having a few of the greatest games of all-time, get the Wii.

Quick, someone pull up some kind of list to disprove this :) 

Of course, depending on what kind of games do you like. But since Wii propably is going to win, it will eventually have almost all 3rd party games.
PS3 can do better graphics, and it has good multimedia features.

But, financially thinking, i would say buy Wii now and save for the PS3, next year it's going to be cheaper than ATM. (Why not 360 instead of PS3?)

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

If you are on a tight budget as it is you are going to save up and spend your $500 or $600 for a PS3.

For that same $500 you could own:

Wii
Wii sports pack in
One wii mote and nunchuch
zelda
metroid 3
RE4
mercury meltdown
mario galaxy
Super Smash Brothers Brawl

Sounds like a no brainer to me; if we are talking about a limited budget and getting the most game for your buck.

Aside from price the Wii is a great system with phenemenal gameplay.

Or you could spend your $500 and have a PS3 that you could look at admire, and maybe rent or borrow a game to play on it.

Get a Wii!

If you could only afford a new game about every other month i'd go with the Wii just so you could have a number of games right off the bat.

Of course, that's just me, 1 new game a month is a slow month for me so going every other month is tough.

Wii would be about the same games wise but they also have some pretty good budget games out and coming out so you won't be beholden to whatever used games are on the market by you.

I mean think about it. RE4 is only $29.99. Assuming you live in the US anyway.