By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Almost bought a Wii today.

HELLFISH said:

Listen guys.  I've been saving up for a PS3 for several months now.  I don't have enough yet, and I almost blew what I have on a Wii today.  We had a family reunion over Labor Day and my uncle has a Wii.  I have to admit the Sports was pretty damn fun.  The killer was Metroid, though... I couldn't put the thing down.  RE4 was a whole new experience with the controller, and I wanted more of that, too.  I didn't care too much for Marios Party, but it was midly interesting...  That's all the games he had, but said Zelda was 

Well, today they had Wii at Target, and I almost tapped one.  I'm thinking there are some really great games on that system, and the PS3 maybe isn't delivering what I want/expected.  Then maybe I'm thinking I'm just getting tired of waiting and the Wii would be a quick fix..., ruining my overall plan of a PS3.

I know I have to make my own damn decision, but what do you guys think?  Keep saving for my PS3, or get that Wii now and start playing already?

(First post... I'm such a noob)

What genres do you play the most?

How much do you online game?

Though admittidly the buy a wii they sell it on ebay for more if you don't like it thing does sound like a good idea if your into that sort of thing.  Considering how high in demand the Wii still is if you change your mind you could likely sell it back to pick up the PS3.

The PS3 likely will get a pricecut by the time you save up for one if you get a wii. So if you are going multi-console it'd make sense to get the wii not since it'll drop in price less.  However it sounds like you are going single console in which case i'm not sure really.

It depends on those first two questions.

Around the Network
MontanaHatchet said:
thetonestarr said:
I'm a Nintendo fan, but I'm an objective one, as I own 4 PCs and a PS2 with just as many games as I have for my Wii.

Here's the breakdown.

Wii = $250
PS3 = $600

Wii games = <$50
PS3 games = >$60

Wii controls = more comfortable controller for most, more versatile controller, more abilities (1 less axis of sensing, yes, but the Sensor Bar is able to negate most of that issue, not to mention sense actual 3D positioning and therefore be used for aiming).

PS3 controls = No rumble (presently), more motion sensing abilities, but so far it's been fairly mediocre and buggy (oftentimes has to be done an exact, certain way or else it doesn't work at all).

Wii = Complete GCN backwards compatibility + backlog of many NES, SNES, N64, TG16, and Genesis games.

PS3 = PS1 and PS2 backwards compatibility (making for a VERY large backlog of games), but not 100% complete.

Wii = Lower resolution, less powerful graphics

PS3 = Extremely high graphical ability, much higher resolution, but very low RAM (making it difficult for developers to USE PS3's abilities).

Wii = 512MB flash storage

PS3 = 60/80GB hard drive storage

Lastly, the PS3 has little to nothing of value out YET (besides Resistance, if that's even your cup of tea). It WILL have a lot of value out, but for what price? It depends on if $60+ is worth it for a game in your view.

Meanwhile, the Wii has a larger catalog of valuable games out so far (although not MANY that are widely accepted as "good"... most are "cult hits" or casual games (but still extremely fun!)). Its games are cheaper (many MUCH cheaper), and it also has a very strong library on the way. Most everybody can agree that the Wii is lots of fun, and when you can say that AND promise that a strong library is on the way, while the PS3 only has the promise of a possibly strong library... yeah, that's saying a lot.

In the end, I think you'd likely have a better time gaming on the Wii, and it'd hurt your wallet much less. As in, by the end of the generation, you will likely find yourself $350-$1k better off for deciding on the Wii, depending on how much gaming you do.

We have a little saying in Montana...

That was full of more bullshit than a rodeo floor. Do you have any idea what you're talking about? I mean, I'm not going to go on a fanboy rant, because that's incredibly pointless, but you found every possible opportunity to put down the PS3.

So, Resistance is the only good game? That must be why PS3 games are getting worse reviews than Wii games.

Oh, wait.....damn.

Plus, the PS3 is $500. You sound like you went to E3 06, trolled the forums for 6 months, and then completely stopped reading anything after that.

Normally I wouldn't care, but you can't look at that post and not see how biased it is.

Dont listen to Leo, he is an tard.

The Wii is fast becoming a great console as is the PS3. The PS3 is starting to deliver on it's promises of great titles. Warhawk for example is awesome, while Lair isnt, but Heavenly Sword is awesome too. 

Get both if you can eventually afford both. Probably better so you can get the best of both worlds if you want it.  

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

judging by your description of your experience with the wii you aren't gonna be dissapointed if you buy one. Just buy a Wii now and wait for the PS3 to drop in price or something, by that time it will have more games too.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

have you actually played the ps3? maybe if you try it out at a friend's place, you'll be better informed and now you can directly compare your experience on the wii and the ps3.

the Wii is an epidemic.

Buy a Wii now, it won't drop its price for another year.

The PS3, however, will probably be $100 less atleast by next year.

Around the Network

Here's the honest truth:

The PS3 has a very solid system, and games are coming, but very few are here NOW, and relatively few are coming before 2008. (Well, there will be a decent number of multiplatform releases, so if you don't have a 360, the PS3 has more appeal than if you do.)

If it is very important for you to be playing LittleBigPlanet of MGS4 as soon as they come out, and if you can't get another $500 saved up by then, I guess you need to hang onto your cash.

However, if you are willing to give that up for a little while in return for playing many great games in 2007, go for that Wii -- if you can still find it.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Wow... replies. I didn't mean to take off after that post, but I had some things to take care of. Quite a bit to read in here, but a lot is ringing in.

The thing is, I grew up on the PS2, so the PS3 just seems like a logical next step. The system is marketed pretty good too, with the whole media thing in one package is great.. one unit on my flat panel to play movies and play games. It sounds really cool. But there is some really good points here with the cost thing that I haven't really thought about. After I bought my PS3, I'd have motorstorm and that's about it. I could afford a new game probably every other month, with some rentals scattered around. With the Wii I could get a few of the fun games right off the bat.

It's a tough decision because I'm already set on the PS3, but now I don't quite know why because there doesn't seem to be any stand out titles like on wii.

Good things about PS3 I'm thinking about: DVD player / PS2 compat / 2008 lineup will most likely be a lot better than now.
Good things about wii: It was a lot of fun, but I'd need to keep my PS2 and get a DVD player too.

I think I'm going to keep saving and think about this a bit more.

Great nfo here, thx

If you want PS2 compat, get a 60gb version and update the firmware. Otherwise, games = look like poo on HD. But they do save to your hard drive, and you can get something to port your old save data if you don't feel like starting every game over.

I would caution, I don't believe they've fixed the lack of Guitar Hero 2 working problem as of yet, or they did long ago and I've missed it. So if that was part of your scheme, keep your ps2, which is also a DVD player?

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

Cadence said:
leo-j said:
Let me tell you something

80% of the site is full of nintendo fanboys. 80% of the people will tell you to get a wii. I on the other hand wont, metroid prime 3 is an amazing game, the ps3 doesnt have any amazing games yet, if you want get a wii Im not stopping you but the ps3 is going to deliver soon my friend.

QFT.

QFT?

Xbox Live Gamertag - Deathscythe X

AIM SN - Alexie Di Onie

The PS3 will deliver soon has been an interesting Rally cry, much like the Wii is a fad. Been going on for a while.

Of course, the PS3 will deliver, because it really really needs to.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.