By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - SD Cards to become the new game medium of choice?

from amazon.com on the transcend 8 gig class 6 sdhc card. 16 bucks down from 34. not bad

Enjoy Faster Transfer Speeds
Basic SD cards transfer data up to six times (6x) the data rate of the standard CD-ROM speed (900 kB/s). Transcend SDHC class 6 cards offer a minimum of 6 MB/s write speeds under the most demanding storage conditions.

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
Alexandervgc said:
It's not too expensive
Some years ago a 1GB SD card costed 20€, now a 8Gb SD costs 20€

And how much does a DVD cost?

SD cards are fine for people to use as rewritable media. For game distribution you'd either use optical media (DVD/Blu-ray) or ROM media like the DS (plus maybe some flash for gamesaves). But for the capacities that console games require, optical media is still cheaper.

ROM will get better soon enough, I think.

Return of the carts then? Nintendo would love that. We've been hearing about the flash drives dropping in price for a while. But the industy seems to have moved on.

Megadude said:
Return of the carts then? Nintendo would love that. We've been hearing about the flash drives dropping in price for a while. But the industy seems to have moved on.

Carts in the sense that the DS uses carts - yeah. I think that will be Nintendo's next stopping point.

@FaithRaven: Actually the max. transfer speed of SD is about 10% faster than 4xBD.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

From DS development:

What is 28?  An SD card.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Khuutra said:
NJ5 said:
Alexandervgc said:
It's not too expensive
Some years ago a 1GB SD card costed 20€, now a 8Gb SD costs 20€

And how much does a DVD cost?

SD cards are fine for people to use as rewritable media. For game distribution you'd either use optical media (DVD/Blu-ray) or ROM media like the DS (plus maybe some flash for gamesaves). But for the capacities that console games require, optical media is still cheaper.

ROM will get better soon enough, I think.

I was trying to find some data on that, but it's not that easy. I found an article saying a 4 MB ROM cost 160-190 yen back in 2003, but that was it so far.

@TomaTito: Actually it's not a SD card. It's ROM memory plus some flash/EEPROM for saving games.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Well, the new SDXC standard has a theoretical limit of 2TB (preexisting cards are merely 64GB in size right now).

Flash cards are nice for keeping saved files, patches and DLC on the same cart of the original games instead of somewhere else. However, I cannot imagine flash cards to be anywhere as cheap as optical media They are optimal for handhelds but for consoles, they are way too small, IMHO. Maybe UDMA CF cards should be used instead when/if they get cheap :)

No foreign sky protected me,
No stranger's wing shielded my face.
I stand as witness to the common lot,
survivor of that time, that place.

- From 'Requiem' by Anna Akhmatova

^ Not CF, the pins get bent >_

Your right NJ5, "The memory card 28 includes a ROM 28a and a RAM 28b, and although illustration is omitted, the ROM 28a and the RAM 28b are connected with each other via a bus, and also connected with a connector (not shown) to be connected with the connector 46. Accordingly, the CPU core 42 gains access to the ROM 28a and the RAM 28b as described above."

Off topic (from patent): Is the DS screen multitouch? *googles it*

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"