By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - SD Cards to become the new game medium of choice?

Alexandervgc said:
It's not too expensive
Some years ago a 1GB SD card costed 20€, now a 8Gb SD costs 20€

And how much does a DVD cost?

SD cards are fine for people to use as rewritable media. For game distribution you'd either use optical media (DVD/Blu-ray) or ROM media like the DS (plus maybe some flash for gamesaves). But for the capacities that console games require, optical media is still cheaper.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

I said that costs are rapidly going down, and 20€ is stores price, not industrial price.

Wii Fit is rapidly beating PS3...

Playing now: Apollo Justice, Majora's Mask

Going to play: Little King Story

"As long as there is a Triforce, there will be a Zelda  As long as there is a prosperous kingdom, there will be an evil that wants destroy it And as long as there is an oppressive force running Hyrule, there will be a boy, in a green tunic, with a silver shield, and a magic blade, to stand against them."-The Legend of Zelda

@NJ5: ROM media would be cheaper, but still more expensive than pressed optical media. If the manufacturing process could be made similar to optical media the cost would be similar.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

NJ5 said:
No, it's too expensive and will probably will remain too expensive for quite a while.

You can buy 8GB SD-HC cards for 25 dollars at many retailors. and 4 GB for 15

good idea but i think USB SD cards are too easy to copy. If they use SDHC cards it will be a proprietary format.

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

Around the Network

Would be nice but I don't see it happening, except possibly on the next DS. But even thats slim as I am sure Nintendo like to stick with thier own tried and true gamecards.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions
:DSman said:
NJ5 said:
No, it's too expensive and will probably will remain too expensive for quite a while.

Or in other words, it's too expensive as a game distribution media (even considering those are retail prices).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

:DSman said:
NJ5 said:

My sandisk 4gb SDHC cost 3$ on amazon.

Highest I saw it sold for was 8$

hard pressed optical discs are like a few cents per copy... not even close.

You are all missing the fact that SD cards are dreadfully slow and this makes them useless for anything that does require speed like movies, large games and even music.

Sure SD is fast enough for the small VC games that doesn't take more space than 1 mp3 but it won't work for anything else.