By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - SD Cards to become the new game medium of choice?

Now that Nintendo have finally supported SDHC is this when games can be released on SD cards instead of the bulky disc medium? I personally would go for it especially now ith the way the prices of SDHC are dropping fast. If so this could be a turning point in not just the videogame industry but the movie industry too.

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

Around the Network

That's what some of the homebrew DS stuff uses...

music too, check out the new usb music albums they are starting to do

I think its wicked, u can go to the shop and get bonus content on the flash card or download and maybe not get as many features or whatever

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

@Bladeforce, good choice with the Jamo speakers, im sorted with marantz amp and Jamo 5.1 speaker set up

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Bulky disk media.

Good grief, you kids will complain about anything.

But if you young people/the industry get their way, downloads will help triumph storage media. Course, I won't bow down to the gaming overlords and will be out of the "game" sort of speak...

I'm just saying...

Around the Network

I Wish... That way we could not only make the systems smaller, but then our games would never get SCRATCHED!!!

Also, isn't SD/SDHC on USB 2.0 faster than DVD, DVD9, or Blu-Ray?

one problem, from personel experience, is that reading flash cards uses more power. to install on a hd on the ds would be more fficient

^^^ on the DS? dude, reading MicroSD cards on my DS Lite takes up no extra power whatsoever...

L.C.E.C. said:
Also, isn't SD/SDHC on USB 2.0 faster than DVD, DVD9, or Blu-Ray?

Correct.  Transfer speed of a high end SDHC card is higher than all but a 12x Blu-ray drive.

megaman79 said:
one problem, from personel experience, is that reading flash cards uses more power. to install on a hd on the ds would be more fficient

How in the world is a non-mechanical flash drive going to eat more power than a mechanical optical drive?

Another fact, SD cards would provide constant read speeds so no more CAV/CLV issues.

And finally, the option to write to the SD card itself which could greatly enhance DLC capabilities.

The rEVOLution is not being televised