By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - SD Cards to become the new game medium of choice?

Viper1 said:
L.C.E.C. said:
Also, isn't SD/SDHC on USB 2.0 faster than DVD, DVD9, or Blu-Ray?

Correct.  Transfer speed of a high end SDHC card is higher than all but a 12x Blu-ray drive.

megaman79 said:
one problem, from personel experience, is that reading flash cards uses more power. to install on a hd on the ds would be more fficient

How in the world is a non-mechanical flash drive going to eat more power than a mechanical optical drive?

Another fact, SD cards would provide constant read speeds so no more CAV/CLV issues.

And finally, the option to write to the SD card itself which could greatly enhance DLC capabilities.

Not to mention being able to save TO the SD card itself, instead of having save files stored on a hard drive.  It's a real pain with current systems to play your saved file on a friend's system.  Having the option to either save to the SD card or the hard drive/flash memory would be cool.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network
Viper1 said:
L.C.E.C. said:

Correct.  Transfer speed of a high end SDHC card is higher than all but a 12x Blu-ray drive.

I thought so... I remember N64 was always so much faster than the PS1... Same with DS vs. PSP...

megaman79 said:
one problem, from personel experience, is that reading flash cards uses more power. to install on a hd on the ds would be more fficient

How in the world is a non-mechanical flash drive going to eat more power than a mechanical optical drive?

It won't... I do it almost every day when I run homebrew on my DS...

Another fact, SD cards would provide constant read speeds so no more CAV/CLV issues.

And finally, the option to write to the SD card itself which could greatly enhance DLC capabilities.

What are CAV/CLV issues?

Eh... Not too excited for re-writable ones... I mean, It would be good as long as you couldn't just delete the game, lol, but it would sure make pirating easier (See: DREAMCAST)... Same reason why this will never happen without some type of security... (Y-lasers for SD Cards of some sort... or some other way of encryption that only the Wii/other system could read)

Lastly, wouldn't this drive up the production of games ('cept blu-ray, maybe)? I'm pretty sure making a plastic DVD with a thin sheet of metal is a lot cheaper than buying/producing SD cards...

You'd also get auto save which would restart your game exactly where you left off just like most VC games do.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

L.C.E.C. said:
Viper1 said:
L.C.E.C. said:

I thought so... I remember N64 was always so much faster than the PS1... Same with DS vs. PSP...

megaman79 said:

It won't... I do it almost every day when I run homebrew on my DS...

What are CAV/CLV issues?

Eh... Not too excited for re-writable ones... I mean, It would be good as long as you couldn't just delete the game, lol, but it would sure make pirating easier (See: DREAMCAST)... Same reason why this will never happen without some type of security... (Y-lasers for SD Cards of some sort... or some other way of encryption that only the Wii/other system could read)

Lastly, wouldn't this drive up the production of games ('cept blu-ray, maybe)? I'm pretty sure making a plastic DVD with a thin sheet of metal is a lot cheaper than buying/producing SD cards...

CAV/CLV deals with how the disc spins to ensure data is read at the same speed regardless of wher the read head is on the disc.  It's the shift is drive speed that causes many read problems and wears them out sooner.

True, a DVD optical disc does cost less to produce than a flash cart however they are dropping so much in price and in bulk would go down even further than it wouldn't be much of a problem.  DS games, UMD and Blu-ray all get by with higher medium prices than DVD's.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Flash card use in my Mp4 player eats up more battery than the internal flash memory. ur right about hard drives tho

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

^^^ Huh? I have literally timed my DS playing a game normally, then timed it playing it with a dumped version of the same game playing off of my Flashcard... There was no difference... maybe 5 seconds less... at the time of "death"...

Also, a Hard-Drive backup would be nice... Sometimes things happen and... well, saves get erased on portable media... (AKA GBA carts, a few CF/SD Cards)... sometimes due to magnets, dust, and general problems... so I would still like to have a copy of the save on the console... Also, If you lose the game, or it gets destroyed somehow, then you won't have to start from scratch, same if you decide to rent it a few times over the months for parties, ect...

@LCEC, which is what i am saying. Obviously both a DS cart run and Flash card run would be the same battery use. Im saying install on the internal memory

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

^^^Oh...
But then you'd have to lug your system everywhere...

but yeah, it's probably extend the battery more... like if you just left the DS on offline-pictochat (if that was possible) vs. playing a game...

Also, when you're watching a movie (like on your .mp4 player, it is directly reading the file... While, with game consoles, it (for the most part) preloads the files before the game actually starts, and stops reading them, or only loads a certain part, and only reads again when it needs new data...

It is and will continue to be too expensive, sadly. Although the benefits are great, the only thing publishers care about are profit margins, and SD cards would eat into that. It's almost worthwhile, when considering the advancements on the near horizon, but not enough so. Games that fill up a dvd would cost a couple extra dollars more to manufacture and at least $10-15 more to purchase retail. Sure would be nice, though.

You do not have the right to never be offended.