By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What was the first game to BLOW YOUR MIND?

Hephaestos said:
The Legend of Zelda...

played it during a summer.... then had my parents buy me a NES.... and played Zelda, and Zelda, and Zelda some more.... that is probably the game in which I clocked the most hours (well World of Warcraft might disagree on this...)

Took me a total of 18 freakin' years to beat that game!

Stupid people in my house. For I don't know how many freakin' years they couldn't figure out that you had to hold the reset button while powering the NES down. -.-

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

Mortal Kombat.

hmm.. well when they release that game where a guy comes out of your holgraphic tv and shoots you in the head with a plasmatic shotgun , then thats the one =]

Street Fighter 2, up until that point I had never seen or played anything like it. A totally visceral experience for the senses.

Earthbound in 1995, I never knew that such a quirky and original game could exist.

Around the Network

Streets of Rage - Genesis.
It was i think the first game i ever saw on a home console (i was playing at Arcades back then) and it blew me away completely. My buddy had a cartridge with 3 games on it Streets of Rage, Golden Axe and The Revenge of Shinobi. All games were fantastic, but SOR was my "first contact" :)

In the "new age" of gaming, MGS games were the mind blowing ones @_@

"You have the right to the remains of a silent attorney"

bouzane said:
Earthbound in 1995, I never knew that such a quirky and original game could exist.

It was so mind-expanding that it's been deemed an illegal substance. Too hot for VC!

Neoraf said:

Oh god, alephnull... please tell me you're joking...

Wing commander: a click and shoot game with a black background. It doesn't even feel 3D. Tiny screen and no ship movement.

Starfox = a TPS, you control, you dodge, you feel the 3D. Shapes, colors, sense of speed.

Please...

Crappy linear shooter vs free movement space sim... For 3D shapes & stuff try elite. It came nearly 10 years before starfox. :P

(I really don't wonder anymore why you are console player...)

Oh, well mine is infiltrator. It has more depth than most of games today and it did run on gaming machine that had only 64kb mem(Yeah, thats c64...). :)

And one that is very close to first place is space rogue,

similar to elite, but you could also visit space stations etc. by walking there... (I wonder is this the first game where you could play other game inside a game? Theres some arcade macines in game that you could play. :) ) Theres also some 3D action way before StarFox(...and again its on c64.). ;)

More Space Rogue action, (Dos pictures :/, c64 version looks much better.)

Arcade game in that game,

Neoraf said:

Oh god, alephnull... please tell me you're joking...

Wing commander: a click and shoot game with a black background. It doesn't even feel 3D. Tiny screen and no ship movement.

Starfox = a TPS, you control, you dodge, you feel the 3D. Shapes, colors, sense of speed.

Wing Commander:

Starfox:

Please...

Your video evidence backfired because as someone who hasn't played either, wing comander looks way more awesome. But then again the game that most blew my mind back in the day was Tie Fighter for pc so I am partial to those old starfighter games.

Metal Gear Solid for the PS...

the first time i played the demo i was in shock that anything like this was possible... the next day i dragged my mom to the store to get me an early B-Day present :)