By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft: Future Xbox 360 Exclusives Will Surpass Killzone 2 [Graphically]

BS the 360's life will be dead by time they come out with a better lookin game then killzone 2 microsoft is just talkin $hit thats all

Around the Network
Resistance09 said:
BS the 360's life will be dead by time they come out with a better lookin game then killzone 2 microsoft is just talkin $hit thats all

It doesnt work that way. Games always look the best at the end of a gen. We're going to see titles that exceed KZ2 on both consoles, it's a given. No point in denying.

Squilliam said:
Fumanchu said:
Squilliam said:
Considering they only just released the tool kit for the tessellation engine in the Xbox 360 last November I believe them 100% in this statement.

I am not impressed by the lack of local multi-player in KZ2, so if they can do every bit as well as KZ2 and give the very friend orientated outgoing and cool Xbox 360 owners Co-Op at the same time then I can only clap my hands and say, 'typical Microsoft, thinking of the true gamers first'.

Isn't the tessellation engine just a part of the latest directx? Isn't the PS3 compatible with that as well? 

Nope, the PS3 uses a less advanced GPU and it runs off Open GL.

Just wanted to clarify something. Although the Playstation 3 does have OpenGL bindings, they are pathethic at best. I don't know of any retail PS3 game that uses OpenGL for their rendering engine. That's one of the lesser known Sony screwups, yhey messed up openGL so now developers can't use either DirectX or OpenGl, thet use Sony's own API for the PS3 which adds a bit to the difficulty of programming for the Playstation 3.

I am glad I am not the only onle excited about the tessellation advances on the Xbox 360.  Just looking at the numbers, even if the Xbox 360 is only capable of achiving <10% of its theoretical peak, that's 50 million polygons on the screen at once, over 8X the triangle count of any game on either playforms. 

EDIT: Whoops, I forgot to divide by 30. Completely disregard the paragraph above, I revised it in a reply a few posts below this one.

The xbox 360 just has to play to its strengths and not try to "macth" Killzone 2 because to be honest, Killzone 2 does some things which the Xbox 360 would really really struggle with. However, if it plays to its strengths, it should be capable of a game that will look better than Killzone 2. I'm sure in 3 years we will look back at Killzone 2 while Playing XXXXX on the 360 and YYYYY on the PS3 and laugh.

Good news Everyone!

I've invented a device which makes you read this in your head, in my voice!

nojustno
Point is when will MS move to the nextbox?

assumption is the mother of all f**k ups 

jetrii said:
Squilliam said:
Fumanchu said:
Squilliam said:
Considering they only just released the tool kit for the tessellation engine in the Xbox 360 last November I believe them 100% in this statement.

I am not impressed by the lack of local multi-player in KZ2, so if they can do every bit as well as KZ2 and give the very friend orientated outgoing and cool Xbox 360 owners Co-Op at the same time then I can only clap my hands and say, 'typical Microsoft, thinking of the true gamers first'.

Isn't the tessellation engine just a part of the latest directx? Isn't the PS3 compatible with that as well? 

Nope, the PS3 uses a less advanced GPU and it runs off Open GL.

Just wanted to clarify something. Although the Playstation 3 does have OpenGL bindings, they are pathethic at best. I don't know of any retail PS3 game that uses OpenGL for their rendering engine. That's one of the lesser known Sony screwups, yhey messed up openGL so now developers can't use either DirectX or OpenGl, thet use Sony's own API for the PS3 which adds a bit to the difficulty of programming for the Playstation 3.

I am glad I am not the only onle excited about the tessellation advances on the Xbox 360.  Just looking at the numbers, even if the Xbox 360 is only capable of achiving <10% of its theoretical peak, that's 50 million polygons on the screen at once, over 8X the triangle count of any game on either playforms. 

The xbox 360 just has to play to its strengths and not try to "macth" Killzone 2 because to be honest, Killzone 2 does some things which the Xbox 360 would really really struggle with. However, if it plays to its strengths, it should be capable of a game that will look better than Killzone 2. I'm sure in 3 years we will look back at Killzone 2 while Playing XXXXX on the 360 and YYYYY on the PS3 and laugh.

Oh dear! That one doesn't really make sense, the RSX is really just a yanked desktop part (AGP at that if you look at the speed the Cell reads from the RSX's memory) So I don't see why they would rewrite anything when Opengl is free and fairly decent to start with.

I really do have my fingers crossed on the tessellation, it makes so much sense for the architecture and it frees so many resources. However its a very new technology for games so theres no way to know how well its going to be used. One interesting thing is that Rare has made a limited use of tessellation in past games so perhaps its a Rare game which Microsoft is skiting about.

Tease.

Around the Network
WereKitten said:
Squilliam said:

Actually its 60-100%.

Otherwise why wouldn't they have implemented features such as Co-op?

CPU isn't the only bottleneck. What about memory, or concurrent access to streaming data if aggressive memory reclaiming is done.

Its not the only bottleneck, however its the bottleneck that we have some data on. Simplifying assumptions!

Tease.

Deneidez said:
Squilliam said:
Deneidez said:

Uhm, ok. How about, Killzone 2 uses only 60% of SPU:s power topmost and thats not much? (Better? :) )

http://www.n4g.com/News-241466.aspx

Actually its 60-100%.

Otherwise why wouldn't they have implemented features such as Co-op?

Uhm, getting up to 100% would bring some very unpleasant problems especially on heterogeneous platform. That said, I doubt there will be any games that will use 100%. Co-op? Uhm... Maybe they just didn't want to or have time to make it in this iteration? 60% SPUs power = prolly less than what X360 can do. (Even better? :) )

I don't have the exact quote, NJ5 used it to debunk some people a while back. They obviously didn't want to sacrafice their graphics for humble gameplay things like Co-Op.

Tease.

ya the problem Isnt graphix its 4 player splitscreen and system link 4 consoles 16 controllers and a frag party.

MS has these games Halo 1,2, and 3 Sony doesnt resistence and cod4 do 4 player splitscreen Resistence2 drops coop and 4 player splitscreen.

If you want to sell games you need a game were Johnny's friends come over play it love it and need it.

Halo is great but its the multiplayer thats made it huge.

Graphically I hope better looking games can be made on both consoles but if they look as good thats great too.

jetrii said:

I am glad I am not the only onle excited about the tessellation advances on the Xbox 360.  Just looking at the numbers, even if the Xbox360 is only capable of achiving <10% of its theoretical peak, that's 50 million polygons on the screen at once, over 8X the triangle count of any game on either playforms. 

I remember reading a spec of 500 million triangles/sec, wouldn't that mean 500/30=16.7 million triangles per frame (or 8.3 at 60 fps)?

Or I could be entirely wrong on what that spec means, of course.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

WereKitten said:
jetrii said:

I am glad I am not the only onle excited about the tessellation advances on the Xbox 360.  Just looking at the numbers, even if the Xbox360 is only capable of achiving <10% of its theoretical peak, that's 50 million polygons on the screen at once, over 8X the triangle count of any game on either playforms. 

I remember reading a spec of 500 million triangles/sec, wouldn't that mean 500/30=16.7 million triangles per frame (or 8.3 at 60 fps)?

Or I could be entirely wrong on what that spec means, of course.

No, you are absolutely correct. I don't know what I was thinking, I think I was paying more attention to my coffee than my post lol. Tessellation would help push the triangle count up but it certainly won't be 8X the count of other games, it would be around 5X the count at nearly 100% efficiency. At a practicla level, perhaps 2X the count of the most polygon intensive game out there.

Whew, thank god you caught that mistake. Would hate for someone to burst through my front door and revoke my math license lol.

Good news Everyone!

I've invented a device which makes you read this in your head, in my voice!