By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft: Future Xbox 360 Exclusives Will Surpass Killzone 2 [Graphically]

@Jetril, from my most basic understanding of the implementation of tessellation. The best use of it comes from "Real time cutscenes" when the camera control is surrendered the tessellator can be used to increase the polygon count and complexity of the models substantially.

Outside of cut-scenes the programmers/artists have to be a little more careful with how they implement the technology so we will likely see, or perhaps we already have seen, the first and best use in cut-scenes themselves.

Tease.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
@Jetril, from my most basic understanding of the implementation of tessellation. The best use of it comes from "Real time cutscenes" when the camera control is surrendered the tessellator can be used to increase the polygon count and complexity of the models substantially.

Outside of cut-scenes the programmers/artists have to be a little more careful with how they implement the technology so we will likely see, or perhaps we already have seen, the first and best use in cut-scenes themselves.

It's my understanding that adaptive tessellation would also benefit real-time gameplay without too much of a hassle and produce impressive results without taxing the GPU as much. I remember reading an article on it 4 years ago which clearly outlined the benefits of using Xenon + Xenos together to greatly reduce the amount of work that Xenos has to do without taxing Xenon too much. Hopefully games will start making good use of it soon.

Good news Everyone!

I've invented a device which makes you read this in your head, in my voice!

Well we should find out fairly soon. GDC is less than a month away and thats the best shot for indepth technical discussion on the subject.

Tease.

Ail said:

All this MSFT announcement does is acknowledge that KZ2 graphics are better than anything currently out on the Xbox360..
If I was the Microsoft guy I would have kept my mouth shut..

This lol.

Check out my game about moles ^

Mummelmann said:
WereKitten said:
Actually, I would like to see console games go in different directions, technically and graphically. Great facial animations for example (HL2 is still unsurpassed after all these years). And I loved the Alan Wake tech demo with the huge landscape and time acceleration.
You won't be able to pit those features against KZ2 directly, because they are just different beasts, but it would be great to see them.

Completely true and a testament to the genius and superior skills of Valve as a game developer. Crysis, for all its fancy visual output (still a shit game though) has terrible facial animations. HL2 still reigns supreme, the textures in HL2 are incredible as well, far better than Oblivion and other contemporaries and even most new games. Astonishing, to say the least.

You are aware that they improve upon the game regularly right ? textures were terrible when half life 2 was released (well not terrible but not that good)

Up close they still pixelate a bit..

And while facial animations are very good... i really wouldn't call them unsurpassed :\

Check out my game about moles ^

Around the Network
Staude said:

And while facial animations are very good... i really wouldn't call them unsurpassed

A bit OT, but here goes:

That was my impression as far as my knowledge goes. I've played a few graphical powerhouses on my PC or more generally games that were quite good in character depiction ( Crysis, Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, GTA IV and at a much lower level Fallout, Stalker Clear sky ).

And while some of them produce very good graphics, none had the same subtle details in eye movements and facial muscles as Alyx in HL2... what did I miss?

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

I bet Mass Effect 2 will look better than KZ2.

thats funny cuz future ps3 exclusives will surpass future xbox 360 exclusives thats said to surpass killzone 2 [graphically]

Zones said:
Darth Tigris said:
This thread was closed on NeoGAF because the source (gameguru) supposedly has a history of making things up. Should the same be done here?

VGChartz is banned on NeoGAF becasue VGChartz supposedly has a history of making things up. Should the same be done here?

Touché

"Crying won't help ya, praying won't do ya no good." Led Zeppelin They are basically saying DICE 2010 and their big announcement there can't be coming to soon for them, since it will give them something to finally brag about again after two years of relatively lackluster 360 games.

Heavens to Murgatoids.