By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Halo Wars gets 6.5/10 from Gamespot!!

Yes, I am aware of how many games Mario has been in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mario_games
I am merely trying to say that the fact that they all have Mario in them does not make them a single franchise, any more than the existence of Miis in Mario Kart, Wii Sports and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles makes those three games in the same franchise

As for Zelda, I must apologise for forgetting Zelda II for the NES, the count is 7 main series and 1 spinoff in 22 years, at approximately 3 years per game, nearly double Halo's 8/5 years per game

Zelda
Zelda II
A Link to the past
Orcarina
Majora's Mask
Windwaker
Twilight Princess
Xbow training

Around the Network
scottie said:
@ JaggedSac - 5 in 8 years is milking a franchise, certainly more than Ninty milks anything.

5 games in 8 years for Halo
7 games in 22 years for Zelda
7 in approx 22 years for Mario
The only Ninty franchise that can compete with Halo in terms of exploitation is the Wii series I suppose

I'm still rolling on the floor laughing my ass off xDDD

scottie said:
@ ESA - Clearly you misunderstood what I wrote, I am sorry. I was not referring to the arbitrary number stuck on the bottom of the review. I was referring to the content of the review. Comments such as
Small unit counts and map limit the scale of battles
it feels simplistic and short alongside other games in the genre.
there's not enough depth to win over hardcore strategy buffs.
The controls function adequately, but you're quite limited as to what you can actually do with them
you can't assign units to custom groups. (wasn't this a feature in Warcraft I?)
The camera can also be frustrating
One of the best things about Halo Wars is controlling the iconic units from the series.
the enemy--at least on the default difficulty setting--isn't too smart.

Didn't read 2nd page of the review.

This is not me wanting Halo Wars to be bad out of fanboyism. It quite simply is not a very good RTS, I'm sorry.

@ JaggedSac - 5 in 8 years is milking a franchise, certainly more than Ninty milks anything.

The only Ninty franchise that can compete with Halo in terms of exploitation is the Wii series I suppose

You do know that most of those comments could be suited to your favourite game?

Simplistic, not enough depth, limited.. :D

And wtf, a ninty-fan calling halo a milked franchise. You can't be serious.

LOL. 4 games and 1 expansion pack in 8 years. 2 years per game. 3 FPS, 1 RTS in 8 years is milking? CoD anyone? Mario? Sonic? Twisted Metal? Pokemon? Pokemon?!?!?!

Also, if you have trouble with the camera in Halo Wars, you should probably have your hands chopped off.

Also, Scottie, if you want to justify milking by the quality of the spinoffs, let us not drag Mario into this.  I am quite sure there are many many many Mario games with a metascore of less than 83(which Halo Wars currently has).

Esa-Petteri said:
scottie said:
@ ESA - Clearly you misunderstood what I wrote, I am sorry. I was not referring to the arbitrary number stuck on the bottom of the review. I was referring to the content of the review. Comments such as
The controls function adequately, but you're quite limited as to what you can actually do with them
One of the best things about Halo Wars is controlling the iconic units from the series.

This is not me wanting Halo Wars to be bad out of fanboyism. It quite simply is not a very good RTS, I'm sorry.

You do know that most of those comments could be suited to your favourite game?

Simplistic, not enough depth, limited.. :D

And wtf, a ninty-fan calling halo a milked franchise. You can't be serious.

I love how you aren't even trying to focus on the problems of the game. The game is simple, VERY simple, as was pointed out there are features which is lacking that even Warcraft I had more than a decade ago. Overall it's a VERY mediocre RTS game, if not outright plain bad.

Edit: Also which one of hi Fav games does alal this apply to? Please don't say starcraft because then all your validity from thatpoint on would be 0.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network
scottie said:
Yes, I am aware of how many games Mario has been in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mario_games
I am merely trying to say that the fact that they all have Mario in them does not make them a single franchise, any more than the existence of Miis in Mario Kart, Wii Sports and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles makes those three games in the same franchise

If that is the case, you know that there is no Master Chief in Halo Wars right?  It is called Halo Wars because it is based in the Halo Universe.  Have you even played the game to judge it to be bad, or are your comment off of one review that gives it a bad score?

As others have said, 5 games in 8 years is nothing compared to what some others have done with it's games.

I love how the most vocal of the people in here have probably never played the game.

And then comes the..."I went over to a friends house and played the demo."

oh well one bad review wont stop me from getting it ive seen plenty of good reviews in OXm and on xplay

vlad321 said:

I love how you aren't even trying to focus on the problems of the game. The game is simple, VERY simple, as was pointed out there are features which is lacking that even Warcraft I had more than a decade ago. Overall it's a VERY mediocre RTS game, if not outright plain bad.

Edit: Also which one of hi Fav games does alal this apply to? Please don't say starcraft because then all your validity from thatpoint on would be 0.

I don't believe the problem of the game is because it is considered to be very simple.  I believe it is more on the lines of how it doesn't have all the options that is available on a PC RTS.  That is the problem right there.  Many are trying to judge it based on something that it never was intended to be.  This is a console RTS, not a PC RTS.  Some of the strategy changes, and not everyone adapts to change well.

I enjoyed the demo, and I have played many PC RTS games from Starcraft, Warcraft I-III, C&C, etc.  Have you played Halo wars yourself?  If so, that's fine, no one game is going to appeal to everyone.  If not, maybe you should give it a try before making such claims.

scottie said:

Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2(The Lost Levels)
Super Mario Bros. 2(The American Version)
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Paper Mario
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
New Super Mario Bros.
Yoshi's Island 2

I've only named the platformers, and only the platformers that feature Mario prominently throughout the game.

Halo
Halo 2
Halo 3
Halo ODST

I've only named the first person shooters since Halo Wars would be a spinoff since it doesn't feature the series main character Master Chief and plays entirely different, same as how Mario Karts, Mario Tennis, etc. don't count for Mario.

Average of Mario titles=15 over 26 years=0.58 titles released per year.
Average of Halo titles=4 over 8 years=0.5 obviously.

Number of Mario titles since 2001, when Halo: Combat Evolved came out=5(Yoshi's Island 2, NSMB, SMG, Super Paper Mario, SMS)

Number of Halo titles since 2001=4

Any way you slice it, Mario platformers are ever so slightly being made at a faster rate than Halo shooters are.

About Legend of Zelda games also, I'm not sure where you're getting 7 from. Here's the list:

Legend of Zelda
Legend of Zelda II: The Adventures of Link
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Legend of Zelda: Ancient Stone Tablets(JPN exclusive)
Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Legend of Zelda: Master Quest(This is an iffy subject so it can be ignored if you want since it's still mostly OOT)
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures(Another iffy but the graphics and gameplay did remain intact)
Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

So anywhere between 13-15 Zelda games depending on where you stand. That's about as much as Mario.

Why were you so off on both series' numbers man? You weren't even remotely close at all.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.