By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is the PS3 selling badly? Why do you think it is/isn't?

WiteoutKing said:
Total sales as of Dec 31 2006:
360: 7,820,120
PS3: 1,233,394

Total sales as of Aug 19 2007:
360: 10,510,895
PS3: 4,318,017

Total sales BETWEEN Jan 1 2007 and Aug 19 2007:
360: 2,690,775
PS3: 3,084,623

The 360 is leading by over 6 million units. The PS3 selling only 400k more units over a nine month period isn't really going to do all that much. At this rate of 400k/9mo it would take eleven years for the PS3 to surpass the 360.

There at its worst at its weakest the PS3 is still doing better.

Like i said 360 is screwd, world xmas sales will prove me right or wrong.

Around the Network
WiteoutKing said:

If the PS3 had a 20K lead per week every week, it would take 310 weeks to make up the difference. That's nearly six years.

I guess I divided by 2 one time too many.  You're not the only one who's a but dumb tonight. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

I confine this to NA chartz, where yes the ps3 is selling badly. compared to the 360 last year at the same time it is behind, even with the price drop. now this is not saying too much, christmas could change all of this. to compare to last gen, the 360 is outpacing original xbox adoption significantly enough for ms to be happy (though that only started after christmas o6). the ps3 has an adoption rate of about half the original xbox, though this two could change with christmas.

to view this compare the 360, ps3, and xbox align launches

this hurts ps3 in terms of developers, while NA may represent a minority % of systems sold, i am willing to bet that it has a higher attach rate than most other territories. i could see japan handheld market being bigger though. So it will lose developers like ea and ubisoft, or be relegated to 2nd and 3rd tier development.

as noted by many others this gen could start a separation of markets where developers more selectively market, leading to say developers making the ps3 lead platform for hd in japan, 360 in NA for hd, leaving the battle ground to be EU for everything else.

Now if you look at EU adoption rates, compared to the original xbox, until recently the 360 was out stripping the xbox, ms needs to change that, the PS3 is tracking about the same too, so any change there could be massive for both of them.

the bundle pack seems to have kept demand stimulated and barring a price cut for the 360 in the EU could be the difference

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

in either case i want koei to make games for the 360 is that so much to ask other wise eventually i will buy a ps3 just for a few of their games

Actually, I see the PS3 as failing...

It's not a total failure but a failure none the less.

Why do I see it this way? Well, at the moment, in it's current state, it has been selling almost the same as the origional xbox and game cube (Only the slightest bit better). Now however it's slightly picking up but still nothing worth being happy about, expecially if you are a developer.

The reason I see it as this is that at least for the xbox and game cube, developement costs were half of (If not even less then) what they are now so even with the smaller userbase (as like what the PS3 now has), development for both these systems would likely return an easier profit.

For the PS3 however, suddenly developers are faced with HUGE costs upfront and a not so hot userbase, (especially as to what they where expecting) and no great increase in it's size in near future, (Until Christmas time), as it's sales are still only very similar to the origional xbox and game cube.

But wasn't the game cube and Xbox classified as succsesful for their sales at this point in time thus making the PS3 a success too? Well no, not in my eyes as developers are now facing a more difficult time in turning a profit from the PS3... same with Xbox 360... If development costs where the same in relation to what it was like for the game cube and Xbox back then, then maybe it would be successful but as we all know, it's not and thus it is a failure... especially if developers are now second guessing about development and are changing their focus with developement. But then only time will tell this.

It's me...  no really, it IS me!!!

Around the Network

The PS3 is bombing. There is no way to say it is doing otherwise. Launch aligned the N64 outsold the PS1 over the first year, how did that turn out? WiteoutKing's signature shows how implausible a PS3 comeback is, yet it is ignored. That seems to be the modus operandi when it comes to the PS3. If anyone puts together a legitimate well thought out argument showing how it is nearly impossible for it overtake the 360 it gets ignored.

I too see the PS3 as being comparable to the GCN and XBX in terms of success (not final sales).

For Nintendo, the GCN continued to lose market share but made them lots of money.

For Microsoft, the XBX successfully entered the market and tied for second place market share (barely won 2nd if you want to get technical), but lost them GHASTLY amounts of money.

For Sony, the PS3 has cost them their position as hardware market leader, as well as losing them money (so far). They can probably dig themselves out of the money pit and claw back to 2nd place market share, but they probably won't make that much money in total.

Incidentally, I see Sony in a much better position than Microsoft for the next generation. The complaint with the PS3 was that it tried to do too much and cost a fortune as a result. All the PS4 has to do to win is cost a reasonable amount of money.

Microsoft, however, has a much bigger problem. People just aren't going to trust their hardware like they did before. The 360's failure rate was totally unacceptable, and people won't forget that.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!

FInal-Fan, people seem to have already forgotten about the Rrod, if you look at NPD numbers. I would have to say the 3 year warranty helped, i wish i had not put one on my box now. though i will use it for a walk off exchange when the falcon comes out

MS has fixed the many awful hardware mistakes, just like they fix the awful software bugs in Windows. But when the next operating system comes out, guess what's riddled with problems?

People won't trust the first hardware out the door - and they shouldn't. Worst launch in history coming up (or since Saturn at least).

haha yea their first release is often like the last beta