By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is the PS3 selling badly? Why do you think it is/isn't?

dtewi said:
You arguement was beaten senseless a week ago in a different thread ChichiriMuyo. Sony can't continue on the PS3 for the next generation.

One, that's not my "argument", it's a possibility.  Did you not see the word "if", or did you not understand it?  I never said it would happen, I said it could.  And even at that, I said that Sony had to play the game correctly.

Two, who said next gen?  I's imagine them having to launch in the middle of the "next gen" time frame that MS and Nintendo would set up with their current market cycles.

Three, since when can you prove the future?  I'm sorry sir, but you aren't god.  In fact, you and everyone else on this board combined can't prove anything about the future.  Fire up your time machine and tell me what happens to the PS4 (and bring one back...) and then maybe, just maybe, I'll consider the possiblity that you have any grasp on the future.  Until that happens, however, you and the people you vaguely mention as agreeing with you are just a bunch of video game PLAYERS that have no influence and very little understanding of the video game MARKET.

Until you can prove you have a time machine you can't prove that Sony won't extand the life of their consoles to the lengths the last two have gone.  The PS2 launched before the Xbox and GC, the PS3 launched after them.  And even considering THAT, the PS2 is still running stong.  If they ONLY do well enough to continue their current development cycle then they 720 and WiiII will be out long before the PS4  Plain and simple.

So, again, until you prove you have a funtional time machine your statements are baseless and asinine.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

Around the Network
SlorgNet said:
The PS3 has been a huge success. When you match up their launch dates, world sales of the PS3 almost precisely match the first year of the 360. That's amazing when you consider the PS3's 599 EUR/$599 price tag, a whopping $200 more than the 360. (The first 12 months of a console is when you lose the most money, so you don't want to sell more than 6-8 million anyway, enough to create a decent install base.) I didn't think more than 3.25 million PS3s would sell by September, since summer is usually the Dead Zone, but the beast roared past the 4.3 million mark by mid-August without breaking a sweat.

Decent software, cheaper HDTVs and a price drop in the EU and Japan sometime this fall (also the 80GB model should drop to $499, once the 60GB units run out) should boost sales further. Once the price drops to $399 sometime next year, sales will go bonkers.

if they drop to that, also yes it may be a little better not to sale that many first year, but right now sony is losing

exclusives-theyve lost alot, and dont tell me that if playstation 3 fanbase was double what it is now that these would still likely to happen

seriously if it was a huge success then why are we reading alot of articles on how ps3 is not doing good? i guess alot of analysts are wrong?

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
MikeB said:
A new playstation release has always been an uphill battle for Sony. Currently there's a lot of hype about the Nintnedo Wii selling faster than the best selling PS2, but in reality various other consoles including the Nintendo 64 and GameCube have sold faster than the PS2 and PSX initially.

Realistically at twice the price IMO everyone should have known the uphill battle would be a little steeper for Sony. This doesn't have anything to do with PS3 not being a good product or of bad value, it's just currently a product targetted at the higher end market. Like a lowend cheap PC vs a highend expensive PC, the cheap PC may outsell the expensive one, but that doesn't mean the expensive PC shouldn't exist or there isn't a market for a higher end product!

Yea the PS2 was a real battle huh?  They sold 900,000 units in 24 hours in Japan alone!!  It took PS3 HALF A YEAR to do what PS2 did in 1 DAY!! PS2's numbers in Japan alone are only slightly lower than PS3's current WW total.  Dreamcast layed over and died for Sony, and they took a huge lead before anyone else had a chance, what an uphill battle huh?

In the same way N64 and Saturn layed over and died for them.  Granted the N64 had some good games, but there was so many problems with it.  Sony was given the opportunity and they took it, and now they are returning the favor to Nintendo and also to Microsoft. 

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

To be fair, johnsobas, Sony probably wouldn't have thought they could sell a console at $600 if not for that freak launch they managed to put on. It was a fluke fuled purely by brand name rather than quality, and that brand name hasn't gone anywhere yet...

You do not have the right to never be offended.

@ johnsobas

Yea the PS2 was a real battle huh? They sold 900,000 units in 24 hours in Japan alone!! It took PS3 HALF A YEAR to do what PS2 did in 1 DAY!!

Price is a major fator in Japan. The PS3 is currently about performing on par with the original PSX in Japan at twice the price. The PS3 has totally outperfomed the XBox 360 for the highend market in Japan.

This shows there's a lot of potential for the PS3 in Japan with exclusive highly anticipated games like Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, White Knight Story and Gran Turismo coming up within a year timespan. Bestselling titles like Resistance and Motorstorm are more geared towards North American and European customers. I also expect the PS3 to become increasingly popular in Japan with future price drops. With the PS3 having already marginaliyzed the XBox 360 in Japan despite the rival's one year headstart, the more anticpated highend multi-platform games will likely have more a positive effect on PS3 sales than on XBox 360 sales.

However the world is larger than Japan alone, according to Sony's figures the PS3 is outperforming the PS2 in
PAL regions which is quite extraordinary at twice the entry price. 

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

Lost tears of Kain wrote: 

Hmm i think HS and lair were not going to be AAA but very deep AA, and they were supposed to help combat the drought of ordinary game and be actual good games and they turned into a little better then average.

I agree these new games weren't suppossed to be the top system sellers like high profile  games Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid or Gran Turismo. But they are a  welcome additions to the PS3
games library to assure game gerne diversity. Their success will determine if there will be follow-ups.

New follow-ups of Motorstorm and Resistance are almost certain as both have proven be million sellers. 

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Final Fantasy is no longer "within a year's timespan", it's been slated for "end of 2008, Japan, maybe".

PS3: 5.51m/51w, avg 108,039/w (up 239)
360: 12.93m/102w, avg 126,764/w (up 625), leads PS3 by 7.42m (up 70k), avg lead 18,725/w (up 386)
Wii: 13.52m/51w, avg 265,098/w (dn 1,102), leads PS3 by 8.01m (up 90k), avg lead 157,059/w (dn 1,341)

If 360 sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass 360 by...
01/08: (008w) +875.8%, 04/08: (021w) +344.4%, 07/08: (034w) +219.3%, 10/08: (047w) +163.5%
01/09: (060w) +131.8%, 04/09: (073w) +111.4%, 07/09: (085w) +098.1%, 10/09: (099w) +086.7%
If Wii sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass Wii by...
01/08: (008w) +1072.%, 04/08: (021w) +498.4%, 07/08: (034w) +363.4%, 10/08: (047w) +303.1%
01/09: (060w) +269.0%, 04/09: (073w) +246.9%, 07/09: (085w) +232.6%, 10/09: (099w) +220.3%
If PS2 sales freeze, Wii sales increases needed to pass PS2 (as of Mar07, 108.4m) by...
2008: (008w) +4373.8%, 2009: (060w) +0496.5%, 2010: (112w) +0219.6%, 2011: (165w) +0116.9%
2012: (217w) +0064.9%, 2013: (269w) +0033.1%, 2014: (321w) +0011.5%, 2015: (376w) -0004.8%
At +0% it will pass it in 358w, the week ending September 19th, 2014, at an age of 409w (7y44w).
Current age of PS2: 7y37w.

Last update: Week ending November 3, 2007

Final Fantasy for the PS3 will be released after March 2008 for sure, so maybe you are right on that one as christmas could well be ideal for the game. AFAIK the release date is still TBA.

But John Yamamoto at E3 2007 pointed to the possibility of a worldwide simultaneous release.

PS3 vs 360 sales

No matter how you slice it, no matter how you spin it, no matter how you kid yourself... the Ps3 is selling poorly.

This is a console that is comming off of perhaps the single most dominated generation ever in the wake of one of the most unstoppable consoles ever, the PS2. No matter the reasons, the fact the PS3 isn't selling like mad in lieu of the Ps2's dominance, the fact it is not selling as well as Sony had hoped it did, the fact that its creator was forced to step down in shame is proof that it is selling poorly. Hide behind it all you want, but the Price Tag is not an excuse, its a liability. And compare the PS3 all you want to previous trends, but that doesn't make it any less of a dissapointment to Sony. The fact a thread like this even has to beg the question in the first place is proof enough of the PS3's peril.

Should the Ps3 ever falter, ever fall, ever be discontinued, we will not know until it is already upon us. It is something we cannot predict. If such a thing should ever occur Sony would never let on until the bitter end and even then, I'm sure they would try and disguise their defeat as some sort of market savy stragety to spare themselves whatever loss of face they can.

“The Hardcore of the Peach is its pits. Try to get the whole fruit!”

- John Lucas

“Every industry is filled with the grave stones of companies who kept doing the same thing.”

- Reggie Fils-Aime

“You don’t play Graphics, you look at them.”

- Unknown

“Casual Gaming = Anything that’s not an FPS”

- Sony Fandom

MikeB said:
Final Fantasy for the PS3 will be released after March 2008 for sure

You meant March 2009, no .... ? ;))

Since the beginning of 2007, most Sony 's fans explain "What until Sony has finished to put themselves together, and you will see".

Facts have proven that other manufacturers are not awaiting for them. Neither the public does.