By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is the PS3 selling badly? Why do you think it is/isn't?

PS3 and 360 are at the norm in sales.. The Wii phenomenon is making the sales look weak. Also Ps3 virtually has no games for the most part of 07. So to sell as it has speaks highly of the potential it has when the games come.

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

Around the Network
steven787 said:
PS3 is selling poorly by PS brand standards. However, if Sony plays their cards right they can turn lemons into lemonade.

MS will release their next console earlier than Sony, the need to keep pushing the PS3 or make PS4 on slightly better. Work it for profit. They are not going to be the market leader by 2010. They need to focus on making it profitable.

Now considering the price, it is doing better than I thought it would.

Considering the PS2, they actually will be if they are the only ones that hold off on the next generation.  If they can show that the PS3 is a more powerful system than the "WiiII" and has better games than the "760" yet have a technologically competant system, they could lead for a couple years while the others establish themselves and then release a new system while the others are at their peaks.  If they create a situation where they aren't on the same cycle as their competition, it could leave the others in a world of hurt.  But, as you said, they've still gotta play their cards right.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

The PS3 is selling faster WW than the 360, but I never hear people moaning that the 360 is selling poorly.

I complain about the 360 selling poorly all of the time. I almost think MS wants to finish way back in 3rd place.

Killzone3 said:
WiteoutKing said:
Total sales as of Dec 31 2006:
360: 7,820,120
PS3: 1,233,394

Total sales as of Aug 19 2007:
360: 10,510,895
PS3: 4,318,017

Total sales BETWEEN Jan 1 2007 and Aug 19 2007:
360: 2,690,775
PS3: 3,084,623

The 360 is leading by over 6 million units. The PS3 selling only 400k more units over a nine month period isn't really going to do all that much. At this rate of 400k/9mo it would take eleven years for the PS3 to surpass the 360.

There at its worst at its weakest the PS3 is still doing better.

Like i said 360 is screwd, world xmas sales will prove me right or wrong.

its not like xbox was at its best now was it, seriously lets seem some logic wite has showed me mine now wheres yours i dont want, somg sony gonna own with ff 13 and mgs4 somg games =world domination

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
Final-Fan said:
FishyJoe said:
Final-Fan said:

The PS3 shouldn't lose developers to the 360, for instance, because it is in fact selling better than the 360. It will probably lose developers to the Wii, though.

Developers could really care less about weekly sales. It's all about installed base. The Wii and 360 have 6+ million more potential customers each to sell games to.

Well, true they don't care about weekly sales.  And, true, they care about installed base.  But they also care about FUTURE install base.  They want to know where sales will be a year or two from now, when the game they are going to make will actually hit shelves. 

So they do, actually, care about sales, as an indicator of future install base.  If the PS3 and 360 sales retain their proportions to one another, the PS3 will overtake the 360.  And it will then have a larger install base.  Which, as you say, developers care about.  

they also look at attachment rate, and ill tell you right now xbox has a much MUCH higher attachment rate for games

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Around the Network
Killzone3 said:
Lost tears of Kain said:

@killzone.... have you not read how much of an increase it would take for the ps3 to overtake xbox in 08? let alone catch up to wii? your dreaming the impossible for the wii with whats currently going on, and the stakes are very high unless ps3 gets a huge boost in sales from games.

Nice spin to fit your post.  I never said catch up to the wii.

Whats so hard about catching up to "overall" sales of the 360 ?  360 has one maket and its not #1 there, sorry but thats not enough.

Come xmas PS3 iwill gain back 1 million in Japan alone, possible another one million in Europe as its quite clear half the nations there don't care about the 360 and even in its strong markets like UK 360 is still not outselling the PS3. 

wow man your ignnorance is sad as hell, wite has done the math for you, yet all you do is say blah blah blah blah blah blah, god ive given facts where the fuck are yours, im sick of your danm fanboyism provide facts.

For fuck sakes i swear

A new playstation release has always been an uphill battle for Sony. Currently there's a lot of hype about the Nintnedo Wii selling faster than the best selling PS2, but in reality various other consoles including the Nintendo 64 and GameCube have sold faster than the PS2 and PSX initially.

Realistically at twice the price IMO everyone should have known the uphill battle would be a little steeper for Sony. This doesn't have anything to do with PS3 not being a good product or of bad value, it's just currently a product targetted at the higher end market. Like a lowend cheap PC vs a highend expensive PC, the cheap PC may outsell the expensive one, but that doesn't mean the expensive PC shouldn't exist or there isn't a market for a higher end product!

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

You arguement was beaten senseless a week ago in a different thread ChichiriMuyo. Sony can't continue on the PS3 for the next generation.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

The PS3 has been a huge success. When you match up their launch dates, world sales of the PS3 almost precisely match the first year of the 360. That's amazing when you consider the PS3's 599 EUR/$599 price tag, a whopping $200 more than the 360. (The first 12 months of a console is when you lose the most money, so you don't want to sell more than 6-8 million anyway, enough to create a decent install base.) I didn't think more than 3.25 million PS3s would sell by September, since summer is usually the Dead Zone, but the beast roared past the 4.3 million mark by mid-August without breaking a sweat.

Decent software, cheaper HDTVs and a price drop in the EU and Japan sometime this fall (also the 80GB model should drop to $499, once the 60GB units run out) should boost sales further. Once the price drops to $399 sometime next year, sales will go bonkers.

With 2 games worth owning out for the PS3 right now (Resistance and Motorstorm) it is not that big of suprise that it is selling just ok. If it was 250 bucks it could do better with the underwellming lineup, but at 500 it is a little harder move for the uninformed consumer. So I guess I would say based on what it costs and the amount of good titles on it, it is selling very well, if it had a better libarary it would probably double in sales.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL