By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is the PS3 selling badly? Why do you think it is/isn't?

jhlennon1 said:
Lost tears of Kain said:
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6573&Itemid=2

that says they are and thats what a month old?

That was what they were losing with all PS3's until the 80GB was released. That was the loss that was unacceptable resulting in the release of the 80GB which Sony expects to break even with production costs.

They removed Emotion Engine, able to get bulk 80GB HD's cheaper etc...

Sony's own loss estimates are far higher today than their original estimates of a year ago. They never intended for the losses to be so huge. Yes they did plan for a loss, but it got out of control and their costs spiraled upwards. That's one of the main reasons Kutaragi is gone. He spent way, way too much money and didn't consider the possibility of the PS3 not selling as well as the PS2.

Losses they have since minimized with the release of the 80GB PS3. Sony has been constantly refining production costs for the PS3 for months now. The previous losses were unacceptable, I know, but they have been greatly reduced. I eagerly await their next financial statement to see exactly what the improvements are but I know they are there.

Well then, you must know something I don't. Because with a $100 price cut, I don't see how they can improve the bottom line much. The software sales are still anemic, and that's where all the profit is supposed to come from.

Around the Network
Ishy said:
@ jhnlennon

did u just say the PS3 focus is blu-ray NOT gaming... what are you crazyyy... and you sony supporters wonder y we hate on your company so much... get your heads str8 the PS3 is a GAMES console... not a bluddy media player

Stupid sony...

Dude, that IS what the company is doing. They were more focused on the format war with the creation of the PS3. They might be focused on gaming now, but it's all m00t if the PS3 price is out of everyones reach.

Well then, you must know something I don't. Because with a $100 price cut, I don't see how they can improve the bottom line much. The software sales are still anemic, and that's where all the profit is supposed to come from.

There was a thread on the Sony section of this forum about it and I am talking about the 80Gb which is $599 not the 60GB as we and I already know is costing Sony out the ass. It is the reason it has been discontinued.

i still have yet to find anything on them reducing it to break about even, i find them trying to but no cigar, and would removing emtion engine etc really reduce by 200 bucks?

If you can find a source id like to see, though ill sort of believe you anyways

I will get you the source when I get home. I am at work at the moment and can't really spend hours searching for the source. I have it saved on my home computer.

@Final-Fan
"Only the PS3 isn't selling slower than the GC (and I want to see numbers to prove me wrong Soriku)"
"the PS3 has tracked relatively closely to PS2 sales"

Seriously mate, you can't do this on a sales site.

In America, the PS3 is selling worse than: the GC, the Xbox, the 360 and obviously the PS2 (all we have data for).
http://www.vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=GC&reg1=America&cons2=PS3&reg2=America&cons3=XB&reg3=America&align=1
http://www.vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=DC&reg1=America&cons2=PS3&reg2=America&cons3=X360&reg3=America&align=1
http://www.vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=PS2&reg1=America&cons2=PS3&reg2=America&cons3=DC&reg3=America&align=1

In Japan, it's selling worse than the GC and the N64, barely worse than the PS1, and obviously worse than the PS2 (so, yeah, it's beating the Xboxes... wow!):
http://www.vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=N64&reg1=Japan&cons2=GC&reg2=Japan&cons3=PS3&reg3=Japan&align=1

And while it may seem the PS3 is beating the GC worldwide, and keeping up with the PS2, that's simply because there's no european data for those consoles, just as there's no data for either America or Europe from the generation before. Worldwide, the PS3 is barely beating what the Gamecube did in America and Japan alone. The Gamecube. In America in Japan alone. A console that sold 20 million units in it's lifetime.

The PS3 is facing a beating. More so than the 360 because at least the 360 has a healthy lead in America, and it's improving on the Xbox just about everywhere. There's nothing healthy about where the PS3 is now. They came late to the market, and at the current rate it'd take them 5 years to get to second place. In the market they have their best share (25%), Japan, they're being demolished 3:1 by their single competitor (5:1 at software, with only 1.7 games sold for each PS3 vs. 2.6 for each Wii).

Now... things may very well change. But things do need to change and quickly, because right now, it's not doing OK by any standards.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.
Ishy said:
@ jhnlennon

did u just say the PS3 focus is blu-ray NOT gaming... what are you crazyyy... and you sony supporters wonder y we hate on your company so much... get your heads str8 the PS3 is a GAMES console... not a bluddy media player

Stupid sony...

Lol nice ishy

/hi five

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
jhlennon1 said:
Ishy said:
@ jhnlennon

Stupid sony...

Dude, that IS what the company is doing. They were more focused on the format war with the creation of the PS3. They might be focused on gaming now, but it's all m00t if the PS3 price is out of everyones reach.

There was a thread on the Sony section of this forum about it and I am talking about the 80Gb which is $599 not the 60GB as we and I already know is costing Sony out the ass. It is the reason it has been discontinued.

i still have yet to find anything on them reducing it to break about even, i find them trying to but no cigar, and would removing emtion engine etc really reduce by 200 bucks?

If you can find a source id like to see, though ill sort of believe you anyways

I will get you the source when I get home. I am at work at the moment and can't really spend hours searching for the source. I have it saved on my home computer.

the blu-ray diode price drop cut costs $100 dropping the EE cut it another like $40, the 80GB PS3 only costs Sony $60 to make, the 60GB if it wasn't discontinued would have cost Sony maybe around $100. Its may not have been recuded by 200 to break even but switching to the 80GB model they surely have cut loses.  

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

where does every one get the better than the 360 after 9 months, thats not right, they are practically the same. now if you do a region specific analysis, its doing much worse than the 360 in NA, about the same EU. So, it is winning in JP, now the question becomes which is worth more NA, or JP.

i went more in depth in an earlier post .

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

KruzeS said:
@Final-Fan
"Only the PS3 isn't selling slower than the GC (and I want to see numbers to prove me wrong Soriku)"

In America, the PS3 is selling worse than: the GC, the Xbox, the 360 and obviously the PS2 (all we have data for).
http://www.vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=GC&reg1=America&cons2=PS3&reg2=America&cons3=XB&reg3=America&align=1
http://www.vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=DC&reg1=America&cons2=PS3&reg2=America&cons3=X360&reg3=America&align=1
http://www.vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=PS2&reg1=America&cons2=PS3&reg2=America&cons3=DC&reg3=America&align=1

In Japan, it's selling worse than the GC and the N64, barely worse than the PS1, and obviously worse than the PS2 (so, yeah, it's beating the Xboxes... wow!):
http://www.vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=N64&reg1=Japan&cons2=GC&reg2=Japan&cons3=PS3&reg3=Japan&align=1

And while it may seem the PS3 is beating the GC worldwide, and keeping up with the PS2, that's simply because there's no european data for those consoles, just as there's no data for either America or Europe from the generation before. Worldwide, the PS3 is barely beating what the Gamecube did in America and Japan alone. The Gamecube. In America in Japan alone. A console that sold 20 million units in it's lifetime.

The PS3 is facing a beating. More so than the 360 because at least the 360 has a healthy lead in America, and it's improving on the Xbox just about everywhere. There's nothing healthy about where the PS3 is now. They came late to the market, and at the current rate it'd take them 5 years to get to second place. In the market they have their best share (25%), Japan, they're being demolished 3:1 by their single competitor (5:1 at software, with only 1.7 games sold for each PS3 vs. 2.6 for each Wii).

Now... things may very well change. But things do need to change and quickly, because right now, it's not doing OK by any standards.

I forgot that it didn't launch in America and Europe for that long. All I did was throw PS1, PS2, PS3 WW into Compare Consoles and click Align Launches.

So I retract the statement about PS2, but this should not be confused with a refutation of my main points.

The PS3 is, in fact, selling better at this stage of its life than the 360 was. See previous posts.

Let me repeat this: Thank you all for correcting me. I did not realize/remember that VGChartz lacked European data for last gen consoles. This does not in any way invalidate the main points I have been arguing, and in fact I made no claim that the PS3 was selling even remotely like the PS3 until my recent, disastrous, visit to the Hardware Comparison Chart. I also stand corrected on the GC numbers.

[EDIT: OH SNAP! RETRACTION RETRACTED! THANKS JOHNSOBAS!

[What does everyone have to say now?]

[edit2:  Turns out that the PS3 is only beating the PS2 until the latter FINALLY got around to all markets, which I had forgot it took so long to do.  So that part is re-retracted -- FOR REALS!] 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

KruzeS said:
@Final-Fan

http://www.vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=GC®1=America&cons2=PS3®2=America&cons3=XB®3=America&align=1
http://www.vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=DC®1=America&cons2=PS3®2=America&cons3=X360®3=America&align=1
http://www.vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=PS2®1=America&cons2=PS3®2=America&cons3=DC®3=America&align=1

http://www.vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=N64®1=Japan&cons2=GC®2=Japan&cons3=PS3®3=Japan&align=1

Actually ioi added others data for PS2 and GC and probably xbox too i haven't checked.  I have it right in front of me, just bring up the chart.  As i posted earlier GC had sold 5.365 million at this point in its life.  1.433 million in Europe at this point.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

@goddog

As I said in my post the PS3 is losing in its best market (Japan), whereas the 360 is still leading its best market (America). The 360 also built a 6 million unit lead which would keep them ahead for 5 years at the current rate. Right now, things look undeniably better for the 360. You may think its future is gloomier than the PS3's, and that things are going to improve for the PS3, but that's your opinion.

Also... going from "unquestionable market leader" (PS2) to this (PS3), does look much worse than going from "new rookie that did not so bad" (Xbox) to this (360).

Reality has a Nintendo bias.
Final-Fan said:
WiteoutKing said:
URNotE said:
WiteoutKing said:
The Wii is far outperforming its predecessor.
The 360 is performing as well as its predecessor, if not better.

Can the PS3 make that claim?

That is why the PS3 is failing right now. Plain and simple.

wait a minute so thats everyones logic just because its not outperforming the ps2 hahahahahahahahahahaha thats laughable.. VERY LAUGHABLE its hard for any console to match that.. if anything those are biased comments let alone unjust comments.. the ps2 set the standard for the last generation so the 360 ps3 and wii should be looking to go above that standard... only one that is on route to do it is the wii... the fact that you and everyone else would single out the ps3 not meeting that standard is biased and unjust in my opinion.... so i guess sega should hope to equal dreamcast numbers according to you if they come out with another console... come on yal give it a rest with the BS...

In this industry, success is measured on three things:

1. Profit. The PS3 is not pulling profit and honestly can't expect to for a few years. Billions of dollars will be lost by Sony in this venture.

2. Hardware units sold. At the rate it's going, the PS3 would be lucky to break 35 million over the course of its life. It's at under 5 million in 9 months.

3. Living up to the hype and/or exceeding it. The PS3 was hyped. A lot. And as the successor to the PS2 it should have sold plenty. It doesn't have to sell MORE per sé. But being in the general ballpark is a must. The PS3 failed to do that.

The PS3 has failed on all three fronts.

1. Same as 360 if not better

2. Better than 360 was 9 months from launch

3. No argument that the PS3 was supposed to sell like PS2 and failed. But allow me to quote myself from this very thread: "There is no way the PS3 can take first this generation. However, it can be a successful, profitable console, in a solid second place, and a good springboard for the PS4. If that happens, the PS3 will have been a success. It is not wildly unlikely that it will do exactly that, which makes it at this time not a failure."

"Once again we come to "poor sales vs. PS2" YES THAT IS TRUE. And it will never, ever, have PS2 sales. However, as I have said repeatedly, that does not mean the PS3 cannot be successful judged by its own merits and faults. See previous posts."

Not as successful as the PS2, or as successful as it was supposed to be, but successful. You may disagree.

[edit: [edit2:  This section, in which I stated a belief that the PS3 was selling as well as the PS2 did, has been debunked.  I was using data that lacked European numbers, apparently.]]

In this industry, success is measured on three things:

1. Profit. The 360 is not pulling profit and honestly can't expect to for a few years. Billions of dollars will be lost by Microsoft because of hardware failure

2. Hardware units sold. At the rate it's going, the 360 would be lucky to break 35 million over the course of its life. It's at under 11 million in 22 months.

3. Living up to the hype and/or exceeding it. The 360 was hyped. A lot. And as the successor to the high powered xbox it should have sold plenty more. It doesn't have to sell MORE per sé. But being in the general ballpark is a must. The 360 failed to do that.

The 360 has failed on all three fronts.

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732