By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is the PS3 selling badly? Why do you think it is/isn't?

URNotE said:
since you wanna talk about companies choosing sides.. what do you think companies are gonna do about japan.. when it comes to ps3 vs. 360..

If the current trend continues this answer is pretty easy. Bigger companies consider the USA and Japan, while smaller companies will more or less favor handhelds and the Wii.  Europe on the other hand is a less attractive market compared to the US because it is much more locally restrictive. Different laws, different languages and so on. There is not really a european market for expensive HD consoles. While there are games that can be especially designed for certain markets, the distance between France and Germany can be bigger than the distance of the US to these markets. A game can be a hit in France and the USA, while it bombs in Germany and so on. For distributors this is no common market but more a map of several scattered markets with totally different rules. You can design games for certain markets on the PC or the Wii but I think the Xbox 360 and PS 3 are less interesting due to the bigger financial risks.

Around the Network
Dodece said:
Why do some posters feel it is rational, and altogether plausible that the PS3 will not only come back into the race, but has some chance of overtaking the other two competitors either one or both? This seems like a bold claim with no relevant information that indicates that it can happen. Frankly if you are going to make such statements you should have the decency to have some explanation of how this can be accomplished. Having the reason be logical and within the realm of reality would be a serious plus for the reader.

The trends are pretty clear as to the health of the consoles, and successes and failures are cumulative. The piss poor PS3 sales this year are going to hurt their library for the next three years. A bad year of sales is going to scare consumers. Late adopters are not risk takers. They side with winners. The public impression will become a negative one. Where last years hype becomes a joke, and the vultures look to feed.

Cumulative means each bad thing adds up in the whole to make the situation worse over time. Sony might have moved forward with sales, but the public impression has actually gone in reverse. Developers have an equal understanding. There is more money to be made on the other two consoles, and they are reasonably correct. Microsoft has a decent install base, and Nintendo is boasting increadible sales.

Everything points to the trend being maintained and in fact the margins increasing rather then decreasing. That means Sony is going to be left farther and farther behind. Both their competitors have strong short term plans which will probably aggravate the situation. Like pooring salt into a open wound.

Every reason provided is nonsense. Siteing a price drop changes nothing the other two companies can do this. The only difference is with every drop they get closer to a much larger mass market. That favors Microsoft and Nintendo. The only one that loses in a price war is Sony. Microsoft and Nintendo might even be proactive in this area dropping their prices before Sony.

When you say a certain game is going to jack up sales a reasonable question is who has more sales jacking games. Now the company with the least number of these games will obviously get the smaller boost. Ignoring that look at consoles that got their fantastic games too late in their life cycles the generated sales are insignifigant. The earlier a fantastic game arrives the better. The later it arrives the worse. So the company that puts out more great sales increasing games first is the company the reeps most of the rewards.

When you invoke a radical situational shift you must justify it with some rational explanation. Calling on the power of a game like an avenging angel, or telling yourself that everyone wants it is quite silly. When you yourself cannot make a argument why it is better for the designed purpose playing games. You also cannot say eventually it will happen that it will be better. This is a race and the longer you screw around the harder it is to win, but more damning the harder it is to get people to bet on you. Consumer confidence is critical and the PS3 is not creating any thats why people say it is selling poorly.

Has the console sold poorly? Yes it has sold poorly not only has it not met expectations, but more specifically it has not hit specific sales by certain times. This is a very critical time when Sony needs to make a compelling case to developers and the public. Frankly they have done a awful job at that. Sony has lost quite a lot already. Right now I think they need to gear themselves towards cutting their losses, and I think most analysts would bet the same.

Those playing on the Wii or the Xbox are very likely to get a complete generation experience. Both have a strong install base to work with. Both have strong first party development. Both should have positive trends before the end of the year. Both make compelling arguments to developers. Those with a PS3 however if the sales do not show a marked improvement could start missing out on a lot of third party support, and could end up with marginal exclusive content. I think many PS3 owners are concerned by this and rightly so. Nobody wants to see a console they purchased do this poorly.

The PS3 has done poorly in that it has not made the sale that it had to make. This console is late in the market compared to the Xbox and the Wii launched at the same time and is looking to have four times the sales by the end of the year. The developmest costs for the other two parties are cheaper, and they have more customers. This effectively strangles the console. Thats why time is so critical and why posters should ignore it. Sony needs to make a serious move before the end of the year or your looking at a console that will be a third place player this generation if it can stay in the game that is.

but who in this thread is claiming all of that??  there is only a handfull defending the ps3 in the 1st place?

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

WiteoutKing said:
The Wii is far outperforming its predecessor.
The 360 is performing as well as its predecessor, if not better.

Can the PS3 make that claim?

That is why the PS3 is failing right now. Plain and simple.

wait a minute so thats everyones logic just because its not outperforming the ps2 hahahahahahahahahahaha thats laughable.. VERY LAUGHABLE its hard for any console to match that..  if anything those are biased comments let alone unjust comments.. the ps2 set the standard for the last generation so the 360 ps3 and wii should be looking to go above that standard... only one that is on route to do it is the wii... the fact that you and everyone else would single out the ps3 not meeting that standard is biased and unjust in my opinion.... so i guess sega should hope to equal dreamcast numbers according to you if they come out with another console... come on yal give it a rest with the BS...

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

Lost tears of Kain said:
Final-Fan said:
HappySqurriel said:

I would just like every person who is saying the PS3 isn't selling that badly to sit back and try a mental excercise ...

Imagine that the sales were different and the PS3 was the fastest selling game console in history and just passed the XBox 360 and (on average) outsold the XBox 360 and Wii combined in weekly sales. The Wii on the other hand is selling slower than the Gamecube and is one of the slowest selling sequel consoles of all time. How much third party support could Nintendo attract or maintain for games to be released in 2008/2009? What is the likelyhood that the Wii would be able to comeback and win the generation?

The fact of the matter is that you see the PS3 being in a different position largely because you believe that consumers will end up choosing the console with the most theoritical processing power or largest list of features. Generally speaking consumers do not care about these things and rarely take note of them except to justify their purchase after the fact. 2007 and 2008 will not see much in the way of Blu-Ray adoption and by 2009 the PS3 will be dramatically more expensive than a Blu-Ray player and people will stop seeing much value in the PS3 as a gaming machine (because its slow sales will have hurt its game library).

Sony could change the fate of the PS3 but it would require leadership and a willingness to save the console at all costs; if Sony was willing to lose Billions of dollars this year to reduce the price of the PS3 to a more normal level ($300/$400) and buy exclusive games for 2008/2009 they would stand a chance at catching up to the Wii in 2011/2012 ... I don't expect to see this happening.

Only the PS3 isn't selling slower than the GC (and I want to see numbers to prove me wrong Soriku) and it has a huge lineup - much of it third-party exclusive - that hits in about 6 months. Considering that the PS3 with very few exclusive games worth owning is (currently) selling better than the 360 even after the counter-price-cut, I think it is very reasonable to believe that it may well outsell the 360 by a LOT in 2008. Nowhere close to Wii sales, of course, but still, I believe it could very possibly pass the 360 WW sales total by 2010.

I am NOT a PS3 fanboy, by the way -- and I'm not accusing anyone of labeling me as such; I just want to forestall it. I just think that the doom and gloom predictions are heavily based on comparing it to the PS2 and not comparing it to what is necessary for it to become a successful console in its own right -- more successful, perhaps, than the 360. And I don't hate the 360, either -- I am very anxious to finish the story begun in Halo, and very excited about Mass Effect.

There is no way the PS3 can take first this generation. However, it can be a successful, profitable console, in a solid second place, and a good springboard for the PS4. If that happens, the PS3 will have been a success. It is not wildly unlikely that it will do exactly that, which makes it at this time not a failure.

again we are going with the arguement that these games will push the system, when we say this, then the wii and xbox will NOT get the same boost that these games are getting. Sure xbox has alot more good games then the ps3 at the moment, but it has a huge season to look forward too. So if it works for ps3, how can it not for 360 or wii?

To say that great games will only push one system is...... you get the point. I want evidence that these games will push the system, and only the ps3 system.

I do agree it will push the system more then the others will, but will it be enough to close such a huge gap?

So you concede that the PS3 will get a bigger boost than the 360.  I agree that the PS3 will not get the ONLY boost -- in fact, earlier I referred to a "Halo boost" -- and I certainly never denied that all the systems would get permanent sales boosts due to their flagship titles' release.  That would be silly. 

But I digress.  It is agreed that The PS3 will get a bigger boost than the 360.  I say it will get specifically a bigger permanent sales hike.  It is already selling better than the 360.  So I don't see how it is unreasonable to say that it will begin catching up to the 360 sales total in earnest in 2008.  

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Dodece said:
Why do some posters feel it is rational, and altogether plausible that the PS3 will not only come back into the race, but has some chance of overtaking the other two competitors either one or both? This seems like a bold claim with no relevant information that indicates that it can happen. Frankly if you are going to make such statements you should have the decency to have some explanation of how this can be accomplished. Having the reason be logical and within the realm of reality would be a serious plus for the reader.

The trends are pretty clear as to the health of the consoles, and successes and failures are cumulative. The piss poor PS3 sales this year are going to hurt their library for the next three years. A bad year of sales is going to scare consumers. Late adopters are not risk takers. They side with winners. The public impression will become a negative one. Where last years hype becomes a joke, and the vultures look to feed.

Cumulative means each bad thing adds up in the whole to make the situation worse over time. Sony might have moved forward with sales, but the public impression has actually gone in reverse. Developers have an equal understanding. There is more money to be made on the other two consoles, and they are reasonably correct. Microsoft has a decent install base, and Nintendo is boasting increadible sales.

Everything points to the trend being maintained and in fact the margins increasing rather then decreasing. That means Sony is going to be left farther and farther behind. Both their competitors have strong short term plans which will probably aggravate the situation. Like pooring salt into a open wound.

Every reason provided is nonsense. Siteing a price drop changes nothing the other two companies can do this. The only difference is with every drop they get closer to a much larger mass market. That favors Microsoft and Nintendo. The only one that loses in a price war is Sony. Microsoft and Nintendo might even be proactive in this area dropping their prices before Sony.

When you say a certain game is going to jack up sales a reasonable question is who has more sales jacking games. Now the company with the least number of these games will obviously get the smaller boost. Ignoring that look at consoles that got their fantastic games too late in their life cycles the generated sales are insignifigant. The earlier a fantastic game arrives the better. The later it arrives the worse. So the company that puts out more great sales increasing games first is the company the reeps most of the rewards.

When you invoke a radical situational shift you must justify it with some rational explanation. Calling on the power of a game like an avenging angel, or telling yourself that everyone wants it is quite silly. When you yourself cannot make a argument why it is better for the designed purpose playing games. You also cannot say eventually it will happen that it will be better. This is a race and the longer you screw around the harder it is to win, but more damning the harder it is to get people to bet on you. Consumer confidence is critical and the PS3 is not creating any thats why people say it is selling poorly.

Has the console sold poorly? Yes it has sold poorly not only has it not met expectations, but more specifically it has not hit specific sales by certain times. This is a very critical time when Sony needs to make a compelling case to developers and the public. Frankly they have done a awful job at that. Sony has lost quite a lot already. Right now I think they need to gear themselves towards cutting their losses, and I think most analysts would bet the same.

Those playing on the Wii or the Xbox are very likely to get a complete generation experience. Both have a strong install base to work with. Both have strong first party development. Both should have positive trends before the end of the year. Both make compelling arguments to developers. Those with a PS3 however if the sales do not show a marked improvement could start missing out on a lot of third party support, and could end up with marginal exclusive content. I think many PS3 owners are concerned by this and rightly so. Nobody wants to see a console they purchased do this poorly.

The PS3 has done poorly in that it has not made the sale that it had to make. This console is late in the market compared to the Xbox and the Wii launched at the same time and is looking to have four times the sales by the end of the year. The developmest costs for the other two parties are cheaper, and they have more customers. This effectively strangles the console. Thats why time is so critical and why posters should ignore it. Sony needs to make a serious move before the end of the year or your looking at a console that will be a third place player this generation if it can stay in the game that is.

The very first thing you do is lump together "PS3 can beat 360" with "PS3 can beat Wii" which is frankly a ridiculous thing to do.

The "piss poor" sales have been almost as good as the 360's (WW of course), much better after the PS3 price cut, and slightly but definitely better after the price cut (until Halo time of course). Nowhere do I see "piss poor" after the European release. As for negative public impression, "costs too much" is more easily forgotten once the problem is solved than "OMG RRoD!"

Your price drop argument is proven worthless by the fact that the PS3's price drop had MUCH more effect than the 360's to date. The fact is that the magical number for mass adoption is $200-250 and until the 360 PREMIUM gets that low the PS3's dropping from "super high price" to "kinda high price" will help it more than the 360's going from "kinda high price" to "lower but still kinda high". And in fact the Elite just muddies the waters IMO as it seems to admit that the Premium is an inferior console (even though it's not that bad).

Your argument regarding game-fueled sales boosts is equally worthless. The reason great games coming out LATE in a hardware cycle does little to affect sales is because most people by then who could be persuaded into a purchase by great game releases already have been. It's unfortunate that the PS3 will have to wait longer than the Wii for it's flagship titles, but that doesn't mean that it will see any less of a boost because of it -- just a later one.

Maybe some people have claimed that once those flagship titles hits it will be all ZOMG PS3 UBER ALLES but, speaking for myself, I have never said such a thing. I doubt anyone who can listen to reason has. But the PS3 will undoubtedly get more popular once it gets more than a handful of decent games and maybe even another price drop in time for MGS4.

Once again we come to "poor sales vs. PS2" YES THAT IS TRUE. And it will never, ever, have PS2 sales. However, as I have said repeatedly, that does not mean the PS3 cannot be successful judged by its own merits and faults. See previous posts.

"Complete generation experience"? WTF.

True the PS3 has some catching up to do with the 360, but I don't think that it's anywhere close to out of reach. As for the Wii, well duh.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!

Around the Network
URNotE said:
WiteoutKing said:

wait a minute so thats everyones logic just because its not outperforming the ps2 hahahahahahahahahahaha thats laughable.. VERY LAUGHABLE its hard for any console to match that.. if anything those are biased comments let alone unjust comments.. the ps2 set the standard for the last generation so the 360 ps3 and wii should be looking to go above that standard... only one that is on route to do it is the wii... the fact that you and everyone else would single out the ps3 not meeting that standard is biased and unjust in my opinion.... so i guess sega should hope to equal dreamcast numbers according to you if they come out with another console... come on yal give it a rest with the BS...

In this industry, success is measured on three things:

1. Profit.  The PS3 is not pulling profit and honestly can't expect to for a few years.  Billions of dollars will be lost by Sony in this venture.

2. Hardware units sold.  At the rate it's going, the PS3 would be lucky to break 35 million over the course of its life.  It's at under 5 million in 9 months.

3. Living up to the hype and/or exceeding it.  The PS3 was hyped.  A lot.  And as the successor to the PS2 it should have sold plenty.  It doesn't have to sell MORE per sé.  But being in the general ballpark is a must.  The PS3 failed to do that. 

The PS3 has failed on all three fronts. 

PS3: 5.51m/51w, avg 108,039/w (up 239)
360: 12.93m/102w, avg 126,764/w (up 625), leads PS3 by 7.42m (up 70k), avg lead 18,725/w (up 386)
Wii: 13.52m/51w, avg 265,098/w (dn 1,102), leads PS3 by 8.01m (up 90k), avg lead 157,059/w (dn 1,341)

If 360 sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass 360 by...
01/08: (008w) +875.8%, 04/08: (021w) +344.4%, 07/08: (034w) +219.3%, 10/08: (047w) +163.5%
01/09: (060w) +131.8%, 04/09: (073w) +111.4%, 07/09: (085w) +098.1%, 10/09: (099w) +086.7%
If Wii sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass Wii by...
01/08: (008w) +1072.%, 04/08: (021w) +498.4%, 07/08: (034w) +363.4%, 10/08: (047w) +303.1%
01/09: (060w) +269.0%, 04/09: (073w) +246.9%, 07/09: (085w) +232.6%, 10/09: (099w) +220.3%
If PS2 sales freeze, Wii sales increases needed to pass PS2 (as of Mar07, 108.4m) by...
2008: (008w) +4373.8%, 2009: (060w) +0496.5%, 2010: (112w) +0219.6%, 2011: (165w) +0116.9%
2012: (217w) +0064.9%, 2013: (269w) +0033.1%, 2014: (321w) +0011.5%, 2015: (376w) -0004.8%
At +0% it will pass it in 358w, the week ending September 19th, 2014, at an age of 409w (7y44w).
Current age of PS2: 7y37w.

Last update: Week ending November 3, 2007

WiteoutKing said:
URNotE said:
WiteoutKing said:

wait a minute so thats everyones logic just because its not outperforming the ps2 hahahahahahahahahahaha thats laughable.. VERY LAUGHABLE its hard for any console to match that.. if anything those are biased comments let alone unjust comments.. the ps2 set the standard for the last generation so the 360 ps3 and wii should be looking to go above that standard... only one that is on route to do it is the wii... the fact that you and everyone else would single out the ps3 not meeting that standard is biased and unjust in my opinion.... so i guess sega should hope to equal dreamcast numbers according to you if they come out with another console... come on yal give it a rest with the BS...

1. Profit. The PS3 is not pulling profit and honestly can't expect to for a few years. Billions of dollars will be lost by Sony in this venture.

2. Hardware units sold. At the rate it's going, the PS3 would be lucky to break 35 million over the course of its life. It's at under 5 million in 9 months.

3. Living up to the hype and/or exceeding it. The PS3 was hyped. A lot. And as the successor to the PS2 it should have sold plenty. It doesn't have to sell MORE per sé. But being in the general ballpark is a must. The PS3 failed to do that.

1. Same as 360 if not better

2. Better than 360 was 9 months from launch

3. No argument that the PS3 was supposed to sell like PS2 and failed. But allow me to quote myself from this very thread: "There is no way the PS3 can take first this generation. However, it can be a successful, profitable console, in a solid second place, and a good springboard for the PS4. If that happens, the PS3 will have been a success. It is not wildly unlikely that it will do exactly that, which makes it at this time not a failure."

"Once again we come to "poor sales vs. PS2" YES THAT IS TRUE. And it will never, ever, have PS2 sales. However, as I have said repeatedly, that does not mean the PS3 cannot be successful judged by its own merits and faults. See previous posts."

Not as successful as the PS2, or as successful as it was supposed to be, but successful. You may disagree.

[edit: [edit2: This section, in which I stated a belief that the PS3 was selling as well as the PS2 did, has been debunked. [edit3:  It included European numbers but I neglected to remember the fact that the PS2 didn't lauch on all markets for several months.]]]

WiteoutKing said:
URNotE said:
WiteoutKing said:

1. Profit.  The PS3 is not pulling profit and honestly can't expect to for a few years.  Billions of dollars will be lost by Sony in this venture.

2. Hardware units sold.  At the rate it's going, the PS3 would be lucky to break 35 million over the course of its life.  It's at under 5 million in 9 months.

3. Living up to the hype and/or exceeding it.  The PS3 was hyped.  A lot.  And as the successor to the PS2 it should have sold plenty.  It doesn't have to sell MORE per sé.  But being in the general ballpark is a must.  The PS3 failed to do that. 

You think the 360 will break 35million consoles? I assure you that it won't.

PS3 is an investment and investments are not profitable short term. Sony clearly explained this and it is the reason that Sony generates such high revenue because they are constantly expanding. Nintendo are being profitable but they are not expanding their company like Sony is doing. I might also point out that Sony's losses in gaming are becoming less and less, they will be profitable by this time next year and recover the losses. It's not a major concern.

Your last point is absurd. Expecting a $600 system with no games in it's first year to compete with a $300 system that had the PS2 lineup is insane. I think it's common knowledge that the PS3 is under performing but it's being hyperboled out of proportion by 360 and Wii fans.

jhlennon1 said:

PS3 is an investment and investments are not profitable short term. Sony clearly explained this and it is the reason that Sony generates such high revenue because they are constantly expanding. Nintendo are being profitable but they are not expanding their company like Sony is doing. I might also point out that Sony's losses in gaming are becoming less and less, they will be profitable by this time next year and recover the losses. It's not a major concern.

Your last point is absurd. Expecting a $600 system with no games in it's first year to compete with a $300 system that had the PS2 lineup is insane. I think it's common knowledge that the PS3 is under performing but it's being hyperboled out of proportion by 360 and Wii fans.

Complete hogwash. Good investments can make profit in the short and long term. Example, iPod made a profit from day one. It's also made record profit for every year since day one. Another example, Nintendo DS made a profit from day one. The DS has continued to make massive profits ever since launch. Apple and Nintendo have proven that you don't need to take losses to have enormous commercial success. 

Sony's losses in the PS3 is $3 billion and climbing. It's going to take years to climb out of that hole if ever.

jhlennon1 said:
WiteoutKing said:
URNotE said:
WiteoutKing said:

"Nintendo are being profitable but they are not expanding their company like Sony is doing."  Nintendo is purely a video game company and likely to stay that way, if that's what you mean.  By any other interpretation, this statement is insane. 

Nintendo is expanding a great deal, in that they are continually trying to expand manufacturing capability to match demand.  Doing only one thing and doing it very well is not something to despise.