By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Wii generation. History will judge the 3rd parties

10% quality games.
90% pure crap.

Sound just like the PS2 for me.

Wasn't a problem then for the most "hardcore" of us but now since it isn't Sony who's in the lead it's a big problem.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Around the Network

10% of Wii's game library does not consist of quality games.  If it did, there would be far less complaints.  It's been way too long since the last retail 90+ rated game came out on the Wii.

^ Don't talk to me about ratings. Look at the games that are getting bad ratings and then tell us whether they deserved it.

Even now that core games are coming, new original work, they are being scored 7's etc. Core journalists make the Wii's percieved weaknesses even worse by talking them up and insisting that it is all true.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Naum said:
10% quality games.
90% pure crap.

Sound just like the PS2 for me.

Wasn't a problem then for the most "hardcore" of us but now since it isn't Sony who's in the lead it's a big problem.

Well of course. When the Wii will have the same amount of games as the PS2, there is no problem with it.

Ail said:
Barozi said:
Ail said:
LoL.

To me this will be remembered as the generation with the most people that bought a console without looking at its game library and then spent half the gen asking for stuff they like to be ported to their console.......( and complaining about every port because it's not like the original...)

You sir will be flamed...... but not by me :)

If WallMart doesn't carry the brand of orange juice I like I don't start a petition about it or send them a dozen angry letters.

I go check Target or Safeway and see if they carry it...

Just because you're a quiet and obedient peon doesn't mean the rest of us have to be.

And in this case, the other grocery stores don't carry what I want, either.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network
Ail said:
LoL.

To me this will be remembered as the generation with the most people that bought a console without looking at its game library and then spent half the gen asking for stuff they like to be ported to their console...

Yeah, poor PS3 owners.

@ megaman - I understand how you can be frustrated, but you seem to miss some key points. Sega is leading the pack for 3rd parties with really digging into Wii development, bringing M titles to the system. Perhaps their moves, if proven successful, will shake developers to make something more creative and interesting.

I think the bigger part of the problem is the popular genres drying up. How many ways can you reinvent the FPS that haven't been done yet? How many MMORPG themes are there that haven't been published? Does the world really need 2 zombie series from the same publisher? The casual market is just the "in" crowd right now, its something new due to the interactivity with the Wii controls.

Many people forget that the casuals were here first, with the Atari 2600, one of the early home consoles to exist. I wouldn't call the story behind Centipede earth-shattering, I wouldn't hail the gore in Defender, nor the beautiful textures of Combat. Games were simple. Pac-Man was created entirely by ONE guy.

My point is this - don't condemn people for going out and making games that cater to crowds that you're not part of. Not everything in the world is designed/made with you in mind. If you don't like the idea of a horror game becoming a rail-shooter, then bypass it. Yet,  don't despair that your crowd will be ignored. You'll have your games too. Just be patient. Some of that crowd that gets the other games might find their way over and join your crowd.

I think this generation will be remembered as the generation without a default console; so far we don't have one console that gets good games across the entire spectrum. The NES had pretty much everything, and the SNES and Genesis each had great libraries, so any gamer could pick up one or the other and be satisfied; though a gamer's particular tastes would have them gravitate to one console or the other. Then Sony came along and the PS1 and PS2 were the default consoles for their generations, pushing Sega, Nintendo and new-comer Microsoft to niche status. In each of those generations, unless you had very specific demands, you'd buy the default console; i.e. if you wanted Halo, you bought an Xbox, not a PS2.

Now we're stuck in this horrible quagmire; the HD consoles are getting the largest effort from the 3rd parties and have good variety, but both systems are so focused on the hardcore that everyone else from the average gamer down is ignored for what is ultimately a niche audience. The Wii is targeting everybody, but so far, third parties just aren't putting their best foot forward, leaving the fans demanding better games.

Everything that's happening now is understandable. Nintendo's previous attempts at chasing the hardcore failed miserably as they gravitated to Sony (and MS to a lesser extent) so they figured it was better to cut the hardcore loose and find a new audience. Sony's success with the PlayStation made it appear the hardcore was where it was at, so they (and MS, and 3rd parties) focused on the hardcore.

I don't think there is anyone to blame for getting into this position, it doesn't change the fact that it still sucks; but the blame will go to who doesn't try to fix it. Sony and Microsoft have to make their consoles and games more accessible to non-hardcore, even if that means telling the hardcore gamers to stuff it once in a while. Nintendo has done well with the non-hardcore, but they're supposed to be aiming for everybody, which includes hardcore gamers. 3rd parties, stop focusing on the hardcore as much as you are; make your HD games more appealing to the broader audience, and put some serious games on the Wii.

Veder Juda is hand crafted from EPIC FAIL, and is a 96% certified Looney; the other 4% is a work in progress.

It seems that this year 3d party companies are starting to get the wii...or more probably, to see that good wii games do sell.

Take for example Call of Duty WAW, it is now selling pretty good on the wii. Yeah it doesn't have the 3M copies like the xbox but is increasing and it will keep this way.

And like bardicverse, companies like SEGA are leading on how to work with it.

This generation is a complete reverse of the past 2 ones. More people play and companies got (and some are) confused but their pride doesn't let them see their mistakes and instead, they insult Nintendo and their costumers. These ones are the ones that will drown in the blue ocean that will carry not only this generation but the next one.

And Ail, that example is just plain stupid and pathetic. Many people bough the wii because they knew what they wanted but companies chickened back and ignored them. If companies doesn't listen to costumers demands, is THEIR fault and not costumers. This is a business, not art. They have to act fast or they will suffer the consequences...and some already did.

History will remember this year as the Wii year (well, so far all years have been wii-years...) in terms of great quality. Just look at the line-up and compare it to the other years. This is the last nail in the coffin. Wii will actually show what it can do.

I mentioned Sega positively. I specifically mentioned big 3rd party companies, Konami, Capcom, EA, etc. They are the problem here. If they make a great game then advertise it, it will die otherwise. If they make a copy of a better title on a different system neither the core's want it or the casuals know what it is.

I expect EA will come out with a statement saying we decided that going graphics with on rail was better than graphics on 3rd person. If thats the case why the fuck did that dev. version of the xbox Dead Space appear a few days ago. What was the point of that? Why say you will make a game that is comparable to the PS360 version when in reality it is a different game. REUC is not Res. Evil. Ask someone and they will tell you the difference.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.