By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Wii generation. History will judge the 3rd parties

flagship said:

And what games has Nintendo brought us for the Wii recently?

Wii Music, oh boy!

...said the little boy who never bothered to play it.

flagship said:

And what quality games is Nintendo going to bring us in the near future?

Remakes of Metriod Prime, Mario Tennis and Pikmin....

Come now, if you're going to troll Nintendo's upcoming schedule, despite knowing full-well its new release strategy (one Microsoft seems to have adopted, mind you...), then don't exclude the several new titles, mate. That makes you look...stupid silly.

Around the Network

Folks -- calm down.

If you like games, buy them. If not, don't.

The problem is that the companies are trying to adapt quickly -- in a situation where a lot of resources have been committed to those consoles which were thought were going to dominate this generation. Then the bottom fell out of the credit market and the world economy.

I love my Wii. I have over 100 games. But one thing people have to realize is that it is not in the same league graphically as the PS3 or Xbox 360. So when a company tries to port a game over and it is not as graphically appealing as the other systems -- people complain. A company tries to bring a game over to the Wii by providing a twist on it that most suited to the system -- people complain.

Companies that try can't win. And if the companies don't try -- they really can't win.

It takes time to develop a game -- even a good port and especially a new build.

So people should just relax, play what they like, and buy other systems if they don't like what it on the Wii.

But contrary to what at some people believe, the Wii is not killing gaming. And using the Japanese market as a barometer for anything this generation is a true attempt at folly.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

mike_intellivision said:

I love my Wii. I have over 100 games.

In a transparent attempt to derail: what are the other 65?!

Although developers do seem to be lazy and reticent when it comes to Wii games, i do have sympathy for some of them. A few companies have tried to put fairly large, big budget games on the Wii and they have flopped miserably. They say they are trying to "get" the Wii's userbase. This is probably true. It does seem to be a bit of a conundrum to me. I think it's unfair to say the userbase is completely "casual". It seems to be a very diverse audience and difficult to find a "typical" demographic to aim at. It's also unfair to say the Wii only sells to "kids, moms and grandparents". I think it's a much wider appeal than that. Ironically the Third parties seem to have worse problems with selling their games on Wii in Japan, where they are shifting support over to Wii. In the West, where the devs have been slower to commit their best efforts to Wii, they seem to have less trouble selling software. Strange, really.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

peachbuggy said:
Although developers do seem to be lazy and reticent when it comes to Wii games, i do have sympathy for some of them. A few companies have tried to put fairly large, big budget games on the Wii and they have flopped miserably. They say they are trying to "get" the Wii's userbase. This is probably true. It does seem to be a bit of a conundrum to me. I think it's unfair to say the userbase is completely "casual". It seems to be a very diverse audience and difficult to find a "typical" demographic to aim at. It's also unfair to say the Wii only sells to "kids, moms and grandparents". I think it's a much wider appeal than that. Ironically the Third parties seem to have worse problems with selling their games on Wii in Japan, where they are shifting support over to Wii. In the West, where the devs have been slower to commit their best efforts to Wii, they seem to have less trouble selling software. Strange, really.

I gather that by "fairly large, big budget games on the Wii" you mean titles like Sky Crawlers and Fragile?

If so, I kind of agree with you here, especially on the observation on the irony of the situation. It does make a bit of sense, though, since the Wii is selling magnitudes better here in the West than in Japan, and those games have remained Japan-only (so far, although Sky Crawlers will likely stay there, as well TvC).

In the end, I think "patience" will have to be some third-parties' watchword. I wrote a long-arse essay on this a few months back, but essentially I think the market for traditional titles has not yet completely shifted to the Wii, but that (as in the DS) it's definitely migrating this way. At least, it's migrating in enough numbers to sustain such games. However, it's not 100% there yet, even if the arrival of more and more "traditional" titles brings "traditional" gamers around in higher numbers.

I suppose we'll know by this time next year.

Around the Network
Ail said:
LoL.

To me this will be remembered as the generation with the most people that bought a console without looking at its game library and then spent half the gen asking for stuff they like to be ported to their console.......( and complaining about every port because it's not like the original...)

Woah. You just summarized my entire opinion of the Wii...or just added on to it. My opinion now is:

"The Wii is the only console in history to "win" the generation NOT because it has the best games. And it "won" because most people bought the console without looking at its game library and then spent half the gen asking for stuff they like to be ported to their console.......( and complaining about every port because it's not like the original...)"

It makes PERFECT sense. Every new game comes out, and it stays HD exclusive, then they ask "Why don't they port this game to the Wii?"

IF YOU WANTED THOSE GAMES, WHY DID YOU BUY A WII IN THE FIRST PLACE?

RolStoppable said:
BMaker11 said:
Ail said:
LoL.

To me this will be remembered as the generation with the most people that bought a console without looking at its game library and then spent half the gen asking for stuff they like to be ported to their console.......( and complaining about every port because it's not like the original...)

Woah. You just summarized my entire opinion of the Wii...or just added on to it. My opinion now is:

"The Wii is the only console in history to "win" the generation NOT because it has the best games. And it "won" because most people bought the console without looking at its game library and then spent half the gen asking for stuff they like to be ported to their console.......( and complaining about every port because it's not like the original...)"

It makes PERFECT sense. Every new game comes out, and it stays HD exclusive, then they ask "Why don't they port this game to the Wii?"

1) Your opinion does not make perfect sense.

2) "It makes perfect sense" is a trademarked line and you don't have permission to use it!

Then you might want to put a ™ after it from now on.

It makes perfect sense™.

RolStoppable said:
BrainBoxLtd said:
RolStoppable said:

1) Your opinion does not make perfect sense.

2) "It makes perfect sense" is a trademarked line and you don't have permission to use it!

Then you might want to put a ™ after it from now on.

It makes perfect sense™.

I would have done that from the start if I knew how to type that "TM" thingy.

Windows: Hold Alt + type 0153 on Numpad

Mac: Hold Alt + 2 Key

Naum said:
10% quality games.
90% pure crap.

Sound just like the PS2 for me.

Wasn't a problem then for the most "hardcore" of us but now since it isn't Sony who's in the lead it's a big problem.

I love how everyone tosses this around now. "The PS2 had all the shovelware too!"

Well guess what? Shovelware didn't shape the PS2's image. The GTAs, the FFs, the GTs, the Tekkens, the Kingdom Hearts, the MGSs, the Guitar Heroes (at the time), the Ratchet and Clanks, the God of Wars, Shadow of the Colossus, ICO, the Dynasty Warriors, the Dark Clouds, the Hot Shots Golfs, the lists just keeps going.......made the PS2 what it was. Not the shovelware. I bet you can barely name PS2 shovelware off the top of your head, because of all the other games stand out so much, and there was a multitude of them. Can't say the same thing for the Wii.

What do you think of when you think of the Wii? Mario, Zelda, and crap.

BMaker11 said:
Ail said:
LoL.

Heh. Beating up on strawmen looks like fun! Let me have a turn now. *Ahem.*

"This is the only generation where people bought a console not because the games were fun, but because the visuals were so pretty. They then spent half the generation whining when the majority of people rejected their narrow tastes and values.......(and complaining that not every game is in 1080p).

"It makes PERFECT sense. Every time something shows that most folks who aren't 16-25 year old boys (and millions who are) prefer substance over style, they then ask "Why are people buying a console without any games?!"

"IF YOU WANTED TO UNDERSTAND WHY MOST PEOPLE DON'T GIVE A FLYING FLIP ABOUT WHAT YOU THINK IS FUN, WHY DON'T YOU STOP HAVING THE EGOCENTRISM OF A CHILD AND START THINKING LIKE A RATIONAL ADULT?"

.....well. That wasn't very fun. Since I don't see why you enjoy acting like you do, I'm going to assume you're stupid. Also, rather than pay attention to anything you actually say and do, I'm going to put on my Tunnel Vision Goggles, and only acknowledge things that enforce my point of view, so don't bother pointing out the numerous things in the above three paragraphs that are incorrect.

Once you stop using critical thought, objectivity, and rationality, the world becomes such a simpler place. But never a happier one... I begin to see the attraction...

MrBubbles said:
this is nintendos fault. instead of building 1 multiplat game, because the systems are similar, it now requires one game for the 360/ps3 and one for the wii. thats additional time and money that could be spent making 1 good game for everyone....but no...everyone suffers now. thanks a lot nintendo.

I, too, prefer having three machines that deliver the exact same games and wish they were PCs, rather than having a gaming PC and a console that's pretty different.

My new thoughts on Nintendo!