By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sixaxis a mistake?

If Sixaxis wasnt a mistake it would be still heavily supported by sony, but it provved to be a device that did not live up to the expecatations, DS3 is just so much superior.

Around the Network
Lolcislaw said:
If Sixaxis wasnt a mistake it would be still heavily supported by sony, but it provved to be a device that did not live up to the expecatations, DS3 is just so much superior.

You realize DS3 is Sixaxis with rumble, right?

What mistake? It's not like you need to pay extra for that.

Does Wiimote and its motion sensing technology work for every single Wii game? I don't think so. A lot of people use classic controller or GC controller to play games like SSBB and soon MHG and MH3.

It's up to the developers to show their creativity to use it wisely. It's not Sony's problem or the gamers' loss that the developers don't want to use it. People don't buy PS3 for Sixaxis motion sensor.

Flower is one example that Sixaxis motion sensor can be used wisely, actually, Super Rub a Dub is pretty good too. I am not a huge fan of SIXAXIS either, but when I see the developers come up an unique (and smart) way to implement into gameplay, it put a smile on my face.

It (PS3's market share) might hit 30%, but definently not more. ~ Neo

Flaming (Calling another user (any user) a fanboy is flaming.) ~ Machina-AX

wenlan said:
Does Wiimote and its motion sensing technology work for every single Wii game? I don't think so. A lot of people use classic controller or GC controller to play games like SSBB and soon MHG and MH3.

And Nintendo is making a grave mistake by not coming down hard on this and refusing to license games that insist on CC/GC support. Kinesophobes, developer and player alike, need two control options and only two: take the plunge or go elsewhere.

All games in all genres can be improved through expressive motion control: it's the next step in a lline that goes back through analog sticks, D-pads, and older methods. Devs just need a swift kick out of their old habits; that's all.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

It's been in a few games, and i've avoided it because it made the game less fun.

I think it's a good idea, it's just been utilized poorly.

PSN ID: TheSimkin

GamerTag: TheSimkin

WII friend Code: 0002 7972 4522 2681

Around the Network
windbane said:
Paperdiego said:
trying to take away wii's thunder while Nintendo's storm was brewing, the sixaxis was never meant to be utilized in games

except you are 100% wrong because it was utilized and very well.

its been out for how long? almost three years and it has been used "well" in how many games??

1, 2 maybe..

just becasue it has been used doesnt mean that was sony's intention...

clearly it was a last minute add on to combat the growing enthusiasum for Wii.

nothing more.. and a lot less

hello how are you.

Paperdiego said:
windbane said:
Paperdiego said:
trying to take away wii's thunder while Nintendo's storm was brewing, the sixaxis was never meant to be utilized in games

except you are 100% wrong because it was utilized and very well.

its been out for how long? almost three years and it has been used "well" in how many games??

1, 2 maybe..

just becasue it has been used doesnt mean that was sony's intention...

clearly it was a last minute add on to combat the growing enthusiasum for Wii.

I already named several games and there are quite a few of them, but what difference does it make how many use it? I know I've played a lot more games that use Sixaxis well than use rumble, and not having rumble for awhile was the only consequence.

How many PS3 games do you even play to not have used it? It's all over the place.

I also don't care what the Wii had to do with Sixaxis controls. If they were just copying or had it in development for a long time as well. The fact is they have it and it's used. It doesn't have to be in eveyr game to have its use. Some of the Wii's best games don't use motion either.

NightstrikerX said:
I hope sony can put together a more effective method of motion control in the next generation.

I hope the Wii has a more effective method as well because they are the same quality.

Akvod said:

While I'm seeing Killzone 2 utilize the Sixaxis in creative ways (especially with sniping. As explosions will shake the Dualshoke 3, and in the process your aim will be off), for the most part I'm seeing the same gimmicky uses that I never use.

Does anyone think that Sony would have been better off spending whatever R&D money they used on the Sixaxis, and the money it costs to implement that feature for other things?

Wait, people actually believed Sony when they said that rumble and motion sensitivity didn't work together?

First off, controllers are only meant to rumble when there is something making noise or shockwaves around the character. If there is an explosion near your character, it makes sense for their aim to be off.

Second, unless you turn the rumble up to full, it does not have any effect on your aim. I know, because I have played many FPS's on the Wii.

It works as a sort of side control, like the minigames in Ratchet and Clank Future, and those thingies in Folklore, and sometimes even as a main control scheme like in Flower.

But often, it ends up being something like Lair, and of course this is all people remember: the Lair-type horrible Sixaxis games.

I like it.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective