By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sixaxis a mistake?

Flower has good controls.

They will know Helgan belongs to Helghasts

Around the Network

Of course it was a mistake. I'm starting to wonder if the Boomerang controller would have been a better choice. Okay, well, that probably wouldn't make a difference if it still had half-assed motion controls.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

windbane said:
NightstrikerX said:
I hope sony can put together a more effective method of motion control in the next generation.

I hope the Wii has a more effective method as well because they are the same quality.

You kidding me? There's a massive difference - even if it were just the PS3 controller's design being unfriendly for it (though personally from the games I've played, it feels like it's damn inaccurate).

As for the Sixaxis being a mistake, I'd say it depends how much it cost them (and us). If I had to pay $10 extra for that motion, then yes, definitely. If it were cheaper (<$5), maybe not - there should be one or two games out there that use it well. From what I've played of Folklore (demo) it seemed good, though I didn't like it in Warhawk/Uncharted.

I love the sixaxis, it's a great extra feature.

c0rd said:
windbane said:
NightstrikerX said:
I hope sony can put together a more effective method of motion control in the next generation.

I hope the Wii has a more effective method as well because they are the same quality.

You kidding me? There's a massive difference - even if it were just the PS3 controller's design being unfriendly for it (though personally from the games I've played, it feels like it's damn inaccurate).

As for the Sixaxis being a mistake, I'd say it depends how much it cost them (and us). If I had to pay $10 extra for that motion, then yes, definitely. If it were cheaper (<$5), maybe not - there should be one or two games out there that use it well. From what I've played of Folklore (demo) it seemed good, though I didn't like it in Warhawk/Uncharted.

I own both systems and neither offers 1 to 1. Until wii motion plus arrives (which requires yet another controller purchase), the tech is the same.

As for the highlighted portion: you've only played a few games and most people disagree with you on Warhawk. In fact, the depth of the controls for the Warhawks is not possible without Sixaxis because both analogs are used in addition to the motion control. flOw and Flower are great as well.

Around the Network
windbane said:
c0rd said:

I own both systems and neither offers 1 to 1. Until wii motion plus arrives (which requires yet another controller purchase), the tech is the same.

As for the highlighted portion: you've only played a few games and most people disagree with you on Warhawk. In fact, the depth of the controls for the Warhawks is not possible without Sixaxis because both analogs are used in addition to the motion control. flOw and Flower are great as well.

It's not as if those are the only games I've played on the PS3, I've played plenty more (20+). Many of the best games are multiplat, though, so obviously the feature won't be used as much. As for Warhawk, that may be, can't say I've put tons of time into the game, the learning curve is a bit ridiculous.

I didn't mention Resistance (shaking off the fire). Felt unnatural to me, wasn't a fan of it (though I pretty much hated the game in general). Then there's dropping in PixelJunk Eden, which was okay... just nothing memorable for me so far, it's not yet a feature I'd think of as an advantage over the 360, for example.

In Wipeout HD and Motorstorm i use motion controls only but it's very interesting to see how other people use it - I have trialed it on various people in 2 games Motorstorm and Wipeout HD.

Motorstorm: - this works a treat anyone who has never played before and I mean no video games at all can pick up and play this game and enjoy the action in minutes. - I expect Mario Kart Wii probably performs in a similar manner and it truly deserves it's continuing high sales. Anyone can play it and therefore anyone can buy it - this game seems like it will never stop selling it's an amazing game and getting amazing sales too.!

Wipeout HD: when the same friends tried wipeout HD with motion support they walked away in complete disgust one within less than 30 seconds - One tried to change the steering sensitivity to see if it would behave more like motorstorm but nothing could fix it and they gave up in disgust.

Regarding wipeout HD It took me some time to get used to this game's steering it's an example of crap motion support which will rightfully turn many thousands of people away from Sony and help convince them to get a Wii instead - Nintendo must have been estatic that Wipeout HD the definitive PS3 game is a total failure in regards to motion support.

PS3 number 1 fan

"i think theres something people are missing here"

sixaxis or not

killzone 2 - infamous - gran turismo - heavy rain - quantum theory - mag - uncharted 2 - yakuza 3 - god of war 3

etc etc etc etc etc

are still being released on playstation 3 only

my point being why are people bickering on things that are not worth bickering about. if you dont like sixaxis dont use it. great games are still coming on ps3 so i see no reason to keep bringing up sixaxis.

imo i see nothing wrong with it, theres only 1 game ive played that forced you to use sixaxis before patch that was lair. other games like flower and flow use sixaxis brillaintly.

so just get over it and talk about the great upcoming games instead.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

@Skeeuk: You are right but that shouldn't be part of the discussion here, right? The Xbox360's red ring of death is terrible, too and it was a mistake from Microsoft to ignore the problem and there are still great games on the Xbox360.

Back to topic: I think the problem with the Sixaxis is that it can't be used like a Wii remote: It has no pointer, no expansion port and can't be held like a remote which dramatically reduces the number of actions that suit the motion control well. It's nothing terrible, it just didn't really add a lot.

sixaxis controls are no more gimmicky than the wii's, proven by that fact that nintendo is releasing motion+