By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz has undertracked PSP sales by 4.5 million!

No, they shipped 50 million units but only sold 44 million

Around the Network

Sony has made 50 million PSPs

About 44 million of them have been sold.

This always happens when people see shipment numbers .

*Al Bundy's My Hero*

*Al Bundy For President*

Waiting On GT7!!!

PSN ID: Acidfacekiller

heruamon said:
BeTa77 said:
According too sony PSP has sold 50million, VGC:44Million. http://kotaku.com/5152847/psp-reaches-50-million-in-worldwide-sales

Go post on the foxnews of gaming aka N4G then.  The bottomline is that Sony profits dropped like a rock, based on poor sales and over supply chains.

What now? Sony actually made a profit this past quarter? Coming from losing money to making money in the games division directly contradicts you.

And I still really doubt that there are ~5 million on shelves. I really do.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Over 5 million PSPs sitting out there after the christmas period is pretty plausable... maybe it is undertracked by a couple of 100 k but thats the most, and I wouldent even bet on that... Lets dont forget the PS2 has even more unsold untis out there ;) Both are available in much more regions then lets say the PS3 ;)

But still, it would be cool if the numbers would get higher and the PSP would get a bigger market-share :P

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network
Bullet100000 said:
This always happens when people see shipment numbers .

Oh really? So you don't see anything wrong in 5M of diffrence ?

Seriously when will people understand that VGchartz numbers are more or less accurate for NA, Japan and most parts of Europe but in the asia or east europe the accuracy is questionable.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

so if 6 million PSPs are on shelves, the next quarter shipment should be absolutely zero(and the quarter after that for that matter)

we will wait and see the next quarter shipments for PSP.

TheSource already explained the situation in another thread: Sony probably overshipped in the west, according to Sony's own numbers PSP hardware : Software ratio decreased during the holidays while it should increase. So either people decided to stop buying games for their PSP or Sony really stuffed the channel. I'd say stuffing the channel sounds more realistic. It is unlikely that not only vgchartz but most other sources are all wrong. And I doubt east Europe was undertracked by 5 million units.

SpartanFX said:
so if 6 million PSPs are on shelves, the next quarter shipment should be absolutely zero(and the quarter after that for that matter)

we will wait and see the next quarter shipments for PSP.

Wouldn't they just slightly decrease the production? They surely won't stop production completely just because they've overstuffed the channel, would they?

@Zlejedi: So we undertracked the PSP by 5 million in eastern Europe and Asia in.. a single year? Wouldn't there be a media blowout about the PSP breaking records in Asia and eastern Europe?

I belive you are undertracking it by 2-3 millions worldwide at least especially with huge ultra easy pirating appeal PSP have for emerging markets.

Even assuming oversupply thing is right how do you explain PS2 diffrences ?

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB