By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz has undertracked PSP sales by 4.5 million!

According too sony PSP has sold 50million, VGC:44Million. http://kotaku.com/5152847/psp-reaches-50-million-in-worldwide-sales

Around the Network

Yeah, PSP HW is undertracked a little, but look at software! 100 million units difference! The same goes for DS software...

4.5 million? Brush up on your maths skills! And your English too.

I believe someone will chime in soon with the whole, "Sony tracks shipments, VGChartz tracks sales to customers" line. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the reason for the discrepancy.

Currently playing: Wii Fit / The Sims 3

Try  PrizeRebel , it could make you  rich ! I have  $15.80 USD  so far. I  love  BengaBenga' Most Wante lists.
$                     $  $  $                         

Star Scream said:

Yeah, PSP HW is undertracked a little, but look at software! 100 million units difference! The same goes for DS software...

And Wii, PS3, X360, PS2.

Worldwide we all know VGC doesn't have full data for a lot of software, specifically "other" regions, and some for Americas, and made up of mostly older and lower selling games that fit under the radar.

Someone with over 600 posts should know by now that companies report shipment numbers.

Around the Network

Sony even stated it in the report that these are shipment numbers... "sell-in" is the term they used

BengaBenga said:
Someone with over 600 posts should know by now that companies report shipment numbers.

So you think there are 5.5 million PSPs on store shelves? I admit this is more than slightly confusing as firm hardware numbers are readily available to rule out any major discrepencies. Still it seems like an awful lot in the retail channel. Seems to me VGChartz normally has it around a million or so for the consoles. Obviously Brett et all who crunch the numbers directly have a better feel for this, but at least this person is making a decent point with his post. That is unless he actually meant 5.5 million rather than 4.5 which would take into account what has been said earlier as a normal amount to be in the retail channel.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Very good sold to retail data! Seems heavily undertracked for both hardware and software.

Regarding the PSP doommongering which was outed quite regularly here at VGChartz in the past, 50 million units sold to retail and 200 million software unit sales is actually great. The PSP is the first true healthy and solid handheld competition Nintendo has seen since the introduction of the original gameboy.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Who was it with the gif in their avatar explaining this situation? Sony used to count all manufactured units as shipped, and thus the 5.5 million is a combination of a small amount of VGChartz undertracking, stock on shelves, and replacement units under warranty

scottie said:
Who was it with the gif in their avatar explaining this situation? Sony used to count all manufactured units as shipped, and thus the 5.5 million is a combination of a small amount of VGChartz undertracking, stock on shelves, and replacement units under warranty

You said it in your own post. They used to do it, but not anymore. They shipped 50m PSPs to retailers.