By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz has undertracked PSP sales by 4.5 million!

@ Star Scream

but look at software! 100 million units difference!

Agreed, worldwide software sales undertracking seems monstrous. Hope this improves...

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

That's it, everyone move back to nexgenwars :/

I love the whole shipping stuff.

BengaBenga said:
Someone with over 600 posts should know by now that companies report shipment numbers.

True..but so you're saying theres 5.5 million on shelves?

I'd say VGChartz has it undertracked..by quite a bit.

mehm said:
scottie said:
Who was it with the gif in their avatar explaining this situation? Sony used to count all manufactured units as shipped, and thus the 5.5 million is a combination of a small amount of VGChartz undertracking, stock on shelves, and replacement units under warranty

You said it in your own post. They used to do it, but not anymore. They shipped 50m PSPs to retailers.

Well the problem has been that people have combinced the two different methods to try find the total to retail... which is very innacurate, so scottie COULD have been right.

However, I am positive this is (finally) the actual shipped figure we ave wanted all this time, I have suspected the PSP was undertracked quite a while, in fact I was expecting ioi to notice and bump it up before Christmas (which is why in the broken prediction league for LTD HW as of Jan 3rd 2009 I put the PSP above the Wii, even though the trends of the figures at the time showed it would pass it handily)

That and the "wrong" way to do it, ie combining old product shipments, and new retail shipments actually gives a figure of 52-53 million.

So yes, the PSP is undertracked... probably by about 4-4.5 million.

Around the Network
TWRoO said:
mehm said:
scottie said:
Who was it with the gif in their avatar explaining this situation? Sony used to count all manufactured units as shipped, and thus the 5.5 million is a combination of a small amount of VGChartz undertracking, stock on shelves, and replacement units under warranty

You said it in your own post. They used to do it, but not anymore. They shipped 50m PSPs to retailers.

Well the problem has been that people have combinced the two different methods to try find the total to retail... which is very innacurate, so scottie COULD have been right.

However, I am positive this is (finally) the actual shipped figure we ave wanted all this time, I have suspected the PSP was undertracked quite a while, in fact I was expecting ioi to notice and bump it up before Christmas (which is why in the broken prediction league for LTD HW as of Jan 3rd 2009 I put the PSP above the Wii, even though the trends of the figures at the time showed it would pass it handily)

That and the "wrong" way to do it, ie combining old product shipments, and new retail shipments actually gives a figure of 52-53 million.

So yes, the PSP is undertracked... probably by about 4-4.5 million.

It's probably in those "Others" region that you don't get much data for.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I am laughing my ass off at so many of you guys right now it's not not even funny. 44.5+4.5=49. That means the guy already took into account the different tracking methods. You guys are putting the 5.5 into his mouth and/or doing the math wrong.

Of course, a number of people here are wise enough to catch on.

Anyway, I'm not sure I'd call it 4.5 million, but it's certainly under-tracked by at least a couple million units. Who knows if there are a million or two units on shelves or in retailer warehouses/backrooms.

The software, though, yeah. That's should shut some people up pretty good methinks.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

There are 51.6 million PSPs shipped. It's retarded to tell there are ~6 million on the shelves and the actual number isn't close to 50 million or the like.

^^^ What he said

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

So PSP Has Sold 50 million?