By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Whos Holding out on a cheaper PS3?

The lose of BC has made it lose it's appeal to some people.

Even though I ran out to buy a 60 gig BC PS3 when they announced that they were discontinuing it, I rarely use it for BC. I use my PS2 still for PS2 games. I don't want to wear out my drive in my PS3, which might speed up an earlier death. I'm now paranoid that my prized model will become irreplaceable.

I barely use my PS3, because of that paranoia sometimes. Which also makes me afraid of using it to watch Blu-ray, It's other main purpose in life.

So, why not buy another PS3 so that I won't wear out my prized model? Because it doesn't have BC, the one main reason why I bought a PS3 in the first place. The other being FFXIII, but that is now a moot point.

It's a catch 22 ¬_¬

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
Around the Network

@pbroy

While BC is very important to some(me for instance, ran out and found one after it's discontinuation) it is still only a side note. How can you buy a PS3 which is made for PS3 games for it's BC games? You said you have a PS2, you don't even need a BC one. You could do one of those other consumers a favor and sell your BC PS3 to someone who needs one.

And with all this talk of the newer models not having BC, it goes nowhere. If you can't get a BC system like Me and pbroy, then keep your PS2, if you don't have one buy one, THEN get your PS3. I don't really see the issue. PS2s can be bought used for about 50 bucks now at gamestop.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Gnizmo said:
forevercloud3000 said:
and i find it hard to believe that some of u cant name at least 3 games for PS3 that u like . i would love to see what is in you library of games right now for 360 or Wii. Probably filled with multiplats :/

Thats not really a valid point. Yes, most of the people that already own a Wii or 360 will own titles that could be played on a PS3. Why buy another system to play a game that runs on your current system though? If someone owns a 360 it does niot matter that Grand Theft Auto 4, Soul Calibur 4, Bioshock, Call of Duty, Guitar Hero, Rock Band, etc are playable on a PS3. There is no reason to spend an extra $400 to get no added games. When talking to people who own systems only games they cannot already play matter.

im not saying they anything is wrong with them owning it on the other system. Its just that when you say "Nothing on the system interests me" its very much annoying because it implies there is nothing to be had at all on the system. That is the kind of statement that fed into the whole "PS3 has no games!" mind frame. Don't forget Sony has plenty of games that warrent at LEAST a look. It just kinda feels like people try to pretend they are not interested because that creates longing for something they either cannot have or cannot get as of yet.

I don't personally own a 360 but if I did I would at least be interested in....

Mass Effect

Tales of Vesperia

Gears of War II

kind of Lost Odyssey(played it but really hate the sluggishness, would probably give it a second chance)

I would just be lying to myself if I said I wouldn't like to have those.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

For those of you who have been waiting for the price drop, what would the sweet spot be for you?

In other words, how much would the system's price have to go down before you seriously consider purchasing it?

I don't think anything less than 100 bucks would make a real difference. And 200 would mean selling the console at even bigger losses. So I would expect the price to go down somewhere between those two amounts, if at all, this year.

What's the price drop that would motivate you to go out and get a PS3?

Make sure the shadow you chase is not the one you cast.

@scydrex: PS3 + 40" widescreen 1080p TV for $750.

Around the Network

I plan to buy a PS3 after the next generation of consoles comes out. Kinda like how I plan to get a PS2 this summer, and how I got a PS1 in like 2000 or 99 (not entirely sure on the date but it was late in the PS1's life)

Currently dreaming of: DKC4 or Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (classic 2D platformers) for WiiWare, Smash Bros. for DSi, New Super Mario World for DSi, a Wii remake or true sequel of Final Fantasy Tactics.

One down, hopefully more awesomeness to come.

SJGohan3972 said:
I plan to buy a PS3 after the next generation of consoles comes out. Kinda like how I plan to get a PS2 this summer, and how I got a PS1 in like 2000 or 99 (not entirely sure on the date but it was late in the PS1's life)

yeah i also like that concept of buying consoles once they are no longer "current gen" you dont have to wait for anything. and you  can pick all the games you like without being influenced by any hype... although... in some cases.. it can happen that by that time some games are no longer avaiable.. or only for insane prices... (see sega saturn rpgs) while others are dirt cheap (got my fire emblem for the gc for a lousy 10€)

although this kinda  takes away the feeling of having something new and "trendy" but you dont have to bother with high prices or games that are delayed forever.. or never relased at all you can just take all that is there

Im definitely holding out for a cheap ps3, and cheaper games!

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

terislb said:
SJGohan3972 said:

yeah i also like that concept of buying consoles once they are no longer "current gen" you dont have to wait for anything. and you  can pick all the games you like without being influenced by any hype... although... in some cases.. it can happen that by that time some games are no longer avaiable.. or only for insane prices... (see sega saturn rpgs) while others are dirt cheap (got my fire emblem for the gc for a lousy 10€)

although this kinda  takes away the feeling of having something new and "trendy" but you dont have to bother with high prices or games that are delayed forever.. or never relased at all you can just take all that is there

I wonder how much VC will be in few years...

As for me... if it gets a huge price drop, I might buy it. Although 300€ (400€ now) for Valkyria Chronicles and Uncharted is still little too much :/

"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

I'm waiting for a cheaper PS3 since launch! Come on Sony, price cut now!