By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Whos Holding out on a cheaper PS3?

I wouldnt mind picking up a second PS3 if it was a slimline. However if it were for my first PS3 i wouldve gotten it when i did, which the MGS4 PS3 bundle that i have. Seems like the longer you wait, the more Sony will take out features, such as B/C, multimedia card reader, 2 extra USB ports.

I can imagine the new slim PS3 with like just only 2 USB ports, no fan required like the PS2 slim, possibly an even smaller HDD then the regular 2.5" like what the iPod uses (meaning no swapping HDD to prevent possible mods or whatever reasons it can be..tho that mite be more expensive on Sony's part and dumb)..etc.

But to the buyer's need is just a simple blu-ray player/PS3 then holding out for a cheaper PS3 is best.

Around the Network
disolitude said:
I am.

I could afford the PS3 right now but I refuse to financially support Sony's media format domination. So I refuse to pay a premium for bluray.

Different reasons (I've always preferred stand alone dedicated players, so already have a Blu-Ray drive in my entertainment center) but same outcome, I refuse to pay a premium for bluray that does nothing, IMO to enhance the functionality of the GAME console.

As games like KZ2 add up though, the strength of the library will convince me to purchase it (past PS3 exclusives haven't really been my bag, personal choice).

I might in the future, after beginning of the next gen. I expect a PS3 to be pretty cheap then with a good back library that I can get cheap.

Proud member of the Sonic Support Squad

forevercloud3000 said:
@tmbh

what exactly is must have for you? what games on your other systems outshines sony's selection?

I like LBP and Killzone 2 appeals to me (I'm gonna play the demo this weekend, cant wait!!).  Gran Turismo 5 and Metal Gear Solid 4 don't appeal to me.  I loved the originals but the sequals did nothing for me.

So I'm not gonna pay £299 just to play 2 games.

I will wait to see what happens this and next year in terms of exclusive or superior games.

The PS3 is a great piece of hardware, no question and if you can or are taking advantage of all it can offer you then its pretty good value too.  Providing you can afford or want to upgrade all your TVs/AMPs etc!

Alot of my friends have 360s too so unless lots of us start to ditch and switch over it wont happen.

Who knows what will happen though!  Sony must have a price cut this year, and yes I'm sure a slimline version will be out in a few years time!

It needs to go sub 180 GBP (250 USD) for me to get involved so some years to wait yet.

Around the Network

i sometimes doubt that there are only '2 or 3' games which interest people on the ps3.

u guys do kno that all PS3 games are ON a BD disc right. BD discs dont scratch or blemish , that should be reason enough to appreciate it.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

forevercloud3000 said:
u guys do kno that all PS3 games are ON a BD disc right. BD discs dont scratch or blemish , that should be reason enough to appreciate it.

i have never had a disc not work ever (movie, game, cd, heck even cardridges, sd cards, external harddrives ect have never quit on me for anything)  so that means nothing to me.

And to above, people like different games.  I don't like fps, sports, fighting games.  so what does that leave me with.  Uncharted, Rachet and Clank, hmm sorry can't think off top of my head any other games i would BUY.  Sure I don't mind playing fps, sports games or fighers, but i don't buy them just play them if friends have them and want to play.    I played a little bit of heavenly sword and was'nt impressed, mindless hack and slash that is super short.

yoyo said:
well it won't affect sales bcoz the people will end up buying it

wrong. I will buy a system in a couple of weeks and ps3 could be my choice if they annonce a price cut someday. No price cut ? I will buy something cheaper

For what it's worth, I probably won't get a PS3 for a while since my price point is below $200. I've enjoyed playing some games on it at my friend's house, but I will probably end up using it primarily as a Linux computer for working on scientific algorithms for the CBE. Hope that answers your question!