By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - which games this generation will be considered classics in the future?

Xen said:
Valkyria Chronicles and MGS4 are spot on.

I'm gonna add Lost Odyssey and Tales of Vesperia. Star Ocean 4 is looking like a good candidate even before release too.

Come on Xen thats just pure fan bias. Not one of those game will come close to classic status that the gaming industry remembers.

OT: Wii Sports and MGS4 I think are the biggest canidates.

Possibly GTAIV. I dont like GTAIV myself but the gaming media does.

Around the Network
Valkyria00 said:
Xen said:

I'm gonna add Lost Odyssey and Tales of Vesperia. Star Ocean 4 is looking like a good candidate even before release too.

Come on Xen thats just pure fan bias. Not one of those game will come close to classic status that the gaming industry remembers.

I'm talking people, gamer's memory and value of a classic. Not about the industry.

And those games are an instant classic in the eys of a JRPG fan.

Xen said:
Valkyria00 said:
Xen said:

I'm talking people, gamer's memory and value of a classic. Not about the industry.

Well the threads about the gaming industry/communty as a whole not just JRPG fans. Tons of people will not remember that list of games. They'll be JUST another JRPG. Not saying they are bad just nothing about them will make them stand out or memorable in the years to come.

My mistake I guess but better to clarify

Out of all the games I've played this generation.

Twilight Princess and Super Mario Galaxy are the only ones to achieve "instant classic" status.

As of right now I see Super Mario Galaxy, Wii Sports and possibly Mario Kart Wii for the wii as classics.

For the ps3, it is hard to say but I think GT5 will become a classic, like GT1 and possibly GT3 and God of War 3 (that puts a nice end to the series, thus making all three classics).....if no other god of war comes after it. I would say LBP, but I know LBP2 will come out and it will be much better.

For the 360, I can't really pick out something that I would say ten years down the line....that was a classic and this is my most used console. In terms of exclusives I can't really think of one, maybe if I was a huge halo fan, I would say Halo. I do think tales of vesperia will be my own personal classic.

Portal, I think will become a classic, hell the whole orange box. Fallout 3 should become one and Call of Duty 4. Same with starcraft 2 if it is as good as starcraft.

Around the Network

I'd say Gears of War, Halo3, Super Mario Galaxy and MGS4. COD modern warfare also.

My favorite games for this gen:

1. Gears of War    2. MGS4    3. Killzone 2   4. Halo 3(Underated by many)      5. Mass Effect

Valkyria00 said:
Xen said:
Valkyria00 said:
Xen said:

Well the threads about the gaming industry/communty as a whole not just JRPG fans. Tons of people will not remember that list of games. They'll be JUST another JRPG. Not saying they are bad just nothing about them will make them stand out or memorable in the years to come.

My mistake I guess but better to clarify

I have to agree with Valkria00 here. ('ve played lost odyessey and think its a really good game, but I can't imagine in a few few years looking back and thinking 'I need to play that game again, its so awesome, nothing compares'). I cant say anything for ToV because I haven't played it yet.

However I'm curious to see how star ocean comes out... particulary because I didnt enjoy SO3 that much.

I dont think there has been an rpg this gen that can be ocnsidered a classic... maybe Mass Effect but thats about it

wii friend code: 3164-3458-9149-5470

PSN ID: youjiro87

360 Gamertag: PM me to find out!

Valkyria Chronicles is gonna be such a cult classic...

"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

Wii Series: From dethroning Super Mario Bros. as the highest sold (or owned, whatever stops people from derailing the thread) game of all time, to being on the Ellen Degeneres show, the Wii series proved to be an essential element to Wii's success.

Super Mario Galaxy: Just when people were starting to question the genre's impact, along comes this game and blows away expectations. Not only is it a great platformer, but it reinvents the genre in the process.

MGS4: Snake's tale has finally come to a close, and what a conclusion.

Halo 3: You Finished the Fight.

Gears of War: It's not just the first person that's popular anymore, Gears ushered in the start of 3rd person shooting excellence in this generation of video games.

Portal: "Didn't we have some fun though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I was like, "Goodbye" and you were like "NOOO WAAAY" and I was all like "we pretended we were going to murder you" That was great..."

Cult Classics:
LBP
Bioshock series
No More Heroes Series
Uncharted Series
and many more...

Well honestly Halo 3 is a definate. People still play Halo CE multiplayer and Halo 2 still has a very strong online community. Halo 3 won't be dead for a long long time still whether you hate it or nor.

Also GTA4, MGS4, LBP, Oblivion, Gears, Mass Effect (cause there will be a trilogy so the first will always be a classic), Bioshock, and Portal. Thats out of released games i'm sure there will be many more.