By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - which games this generation will be considered classics in the future?

Super Mario Galaxy

Around the Network

and of course the best football game in history FIFA09...

- Uncharted serie
- killzone 2
- gears of war serie
- Mass effect
- Trico
- FFXIII

wow, seems I don't have the same definition of a classic as most of you guys ^^

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Oblivion, Fallout 3, GOW series, Uncharted Series, MGS4, COD4, probably every game over 90+ in Metacritic

Around the Network

*KZ2
*MGS4
*Bioshocck
*LBP

Initiating social expirement #928719281

Halo 3, GTA 4, GOW1&2,Mass effect, oblivion,fallout 3,fable 2 and bioshock.

i believe wiisports will be the super mario bros. of our time. everything else will pale in comparison of how much that will will be remembered.

come try out the computer game i've been working on for my high school senior project, titled sling ball. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=47568

brawl friendcode - 3823-8201-9151

mario kart wii friendcode - 0387-9491-4552

PM me if you add me plz.

150vg$ bet(with haggy) mk wii 2009 worldwide sales > any 360/ps3 game released in 2009.

current mk wii worldwide sales (jan 9th): 553k

L4D.

I think some of the suggestions are a bit off. If you define a classic as a game that people still love to play many years after it's conception(I'm talking on the order of thirty or forty years), only a few are identifiable, but even now many really good games can be ruled out.

Wii Sports will certainly be considered a classic. As will Mario Kart Wii, and Wii Fit. Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy and many other Nintendo first party games will not. The problem is that these games haven't been able to achieve the kind of appreciation that MK:Wii has, they are loved by people who already loved gaming. They have gone beyond that to some degree, but not enough. Other classics are hard to discern.

The classics of today are often what were considered 'below' the established artists of the time. Shakespeare wrote for the common people, and he was hated by other writers who retained the division between comedy and tragedy. Rock and Roll was hated because it was an evolution of black people's music. But they're what we consider classics today.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.