By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Galaxy info - minor spoiler - items and story

I think Mario will have multiple kinds of shooting abilities. The faster you shoot the fireballs the shorter the bounce of the fireball. The ability to charge up the fireballs for bigger and more extreme effects and a longer bounce, that would be awesome. Perhaps an auto lock mode. See it as Samus' laserbeam. It would be great to see the fireballs have different effects on the different gravitations of the different planets too. Hmmm either way this game is gonna rock my galaxy!

Around the Network
BenKenobi88 said:
stof said:
Awesomeness. Can't wait to see how they implement the fireballs (IR aiming!?)

Well...uh...you shoot stars in the game already with IR aiming...have you been checking on the videos?

Isn't the IR for collecting stars?

KTurbo said:
BenKenobi88 said:
stof said:
Awesomeness. Can't wait to see how they implement the fireballs (IR aiming!?)

Well...uh...you shoot stars in the game already with IR aiming...have you been checking on the videos?

Isn't the IR for collecting stars?

It's for both.  You just move the cursor over the stars to collect them...and press B,Z,C, I forget...one of those buttons to shoot the stars back.

You can shoot as many stars as you've collected at enemies...but save up 100 and you get an extra life.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Then we're both right. ;)

KruzeS said:
reverie said:
A company cannot reduce VAT, that's not true. You can make sure that you don't have to pay VAT twice by showing the tax office that your suppliers already charged you some VAT. In the end you pay VAT for every single cent of revenue you have, by paying either to the tax office or to the supplier (who will pay to the tax office or their suppliers in turn, all the way down to the silicon mine).

You know that's probably exactly what he meant by "reducing VAT", right? You "reduce" the VAT you pay to the tax office, arguing you already paid some of it to your supplier.

Besides, some wholesale prices do come with VAT included, in particular if they're targeted to smaller retailers and/or go through an intermediary (wheras bigger retailers may buy directly from the publisher instead). This also varies from country to country and business to business, so there's really no way to know unless your into the process. As an example, I saw in some other thread someone who worked in retail saying this specific price was inclusive of VAT. But I wouldn't know either way.

Thanks Kruzes, that's what i was meaning.

In general, all prices in the EU are with VAT, if not told otherwise.

But, there are exceptions to when and who pays the VAT and where. It's not easy in any way to tell about the specific case, that who pays it. Anyway the general idea is, that everytime product is sold forward, taxes are paid.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

KruzeS,
Regarding "reducing" VAT or not - when people talk about reducing their tax they think of actually paying less, something like this:

You have a job and made 35.000 € in one year.
You spent 2000 € for driving to work and 1000 € for college classes.
The tax office agrees to let you pay income tax for only 32000 € of income, because the law allows to deduct expenses like commuting and education.
Thus you saved income tax.

This is not what happens with VAT. You always pay the full amount, one way or the other.

I agree that the quote on this snapshot from the Nintendo booth in Leipzig may or may not be with VAT, and companies might perceivably tailor their retail quotes to small shops by including VAT, but I still I think it's uncommon to quote retail prices with VAT in Germany (I will stop talking about the EU here for lack of experience in other countries). Here are a few business-oriented webshops that quote without VAT:

http://www.schaefer-shop.de/
(office supplies)

http://www.cyberport-b2b.de/
(IT+gadgets)

And as I mentioned, my company works in clothing and for our materials we always get quoted net prices (without VAT), no matter if 15 meters or 500 meters is the minimum order.

I think a good example why a company should never calculate with VAT is that there is no VAT included in the salaries you pay. Let's say:

In one month, your company buys products for 5950 € incl. 19 % VAT.
You have 1 employee which costs you 4000 € (including social security).
You sell your products for 11900 € incl. VAT.

So what is your profit? If you don't remember that salaries are without VAT you will come to 1950/1.19 = 1638.66. Actually it's 1000 €, and the easiest way to get there is to disregard VAT for business calculations and just think of your supply bills as 5000 € net and your revenues as 10.000 € net. If you don't believe me please ask an accountant.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

About the use of the word "reduce", I agree with you in that you don't "reduce" VAT. But you're german man, I'm portuguese, I haven't a clue about bdbdbd's nationality (tokelau doesn't really fly), and we're trying to communicate in english... cause that's the best we can do.

I mean, technically, I know VAT is not "reduzido" in portuguese, it's "abatido". But I'm guessing you wouldn't know that, just as much as I don't know any german at all. And I really don't know how I'd put that in english, any better than "reduce". And since you haven't proposed an alternate english word in your 2 posts complaining about the word "reduce", I'd go as far as saying you probably don't know the technical term in english either (not that you should).

This isn't about being right or wrong, it's about making an honest effort to understand each other's meaning cross languages (we're european, not americans, we should know a bit more about that). We're all talking about the same thing (bdbdbd already said as much), complaining about terminology in a language that's not our own.

About the rest of your post, as I said, I wouldn't know either way. I'm not doubting you. Actually, I'd expect it to be without VAT, same as you do, as that's the default for business-to-business around here, even for unit purchases of products unrelated to one's core business (like the office supplies you mentioned). I have seen some prices like these quoted with VAT, however.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

KruzeS,
Oops, I though you were German as well. You nickname sounded like that.
Yeah, ok, in the end we won't find out more by staring at that snapshot from Leipzig. Either with or without tax, 35.00 € is pretty good for EU retailers, and I will add that to my standard explanation the next time somebody rants about higher gamer prices in the EU. I remember one story from a small US retailer (it was posted here, I think) where they said they don't have a margin of more than $5 per game and $5 per console...

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

No sweat. The nick is a play on my real name, which is spanish, though I'm portuguese.

About that, yeah around €10 is a fine markup. And I'm betting I won't see the game for €50, but for €55 or €60 around here. Retailers are very much to blame for this. I mean, I can understand marking up hardware, retailers have a big responsibility towards the consumer there. But software? Not really. Even if one person in 10 where to trade in a game (and they got no compensation from the publisher at all), they'd be out €30 for a €100 profit on average with these prices. And seeing what they do with used games is sickening. Plus we don't even have a real rental market (at least here).

This all hurts the market, IMO. At least I, would play a hell of a lot more games given lower prices, and/or more "ownership" options. I just won't risk €50 on an unknown, not when the trade in value is like €20 (and then resold at €40).

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

too much VAT talk! me no understand!

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )