By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How well do the Conduit and Madworld have to do to send a message?

BMaker11 said:
Well, according to Wii fans on this site, all a game on the Wii has to do is sell 300k, and it's a "success"...so, I'll say 300k

No, I think most Wii fans on this site just state that most projects on the Wii probably break even after 125,000 to 250,000 in sales and smaller budget niche projects can probably be considered very successful on very low sales. Games like No More Heroes, Zack and Wiki and Boom Blox were all developed on shoe-string budgets and have probably turned healthy profits off of their sales.

Around the Network
RPG said:
Just watched a few gameplay videos of The Conduit.

I mean really? This game being hyped speaks volumes about the problems the Wii is having satisfying the "hardcore" audience.

Before anyone starts I am anti Wii, PS3 and 360 so live with my opinions.....

Again, could you refrain from flamebait posts. This post contributed absolutely nothing to the topic, and furthemore didn't address a single thing from the topic. So again, please, I ask this nicely.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

I'd say 500k-750k for Madworld because it's art style

For Conduit, a traditional FPS 1m at LEAST

Why do people think Madworld will be such a success? What games similar to Madworld sold well? Hell even on the "godly hardcore" PS2, games like this sold absolute ****.

I think that the only game here that will really make a difference (and really matters) is The Conduit. Anything less than 1m won't bode well, and anything more than 2m should be great.

Geez, what is with all the MadWorld hate? I expect it to do as well as No More Heroes, which did pretty well in North America.

Around the Network

I don't think that Madworld will do that good on sales either.650k like CoD: World at War (right now).

I really hope that The Conduit will sell 3~4 millions, this should be enough to guarantee the publisher's hapiness with the Wii... but i'm expecting 1,5~2 millions.

By the way, do we have a confirmed debut day for The Counduit?

I miss those times.....>>> http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=J-WilAE7XIM

Snesboy said:
Geez, what is with all the MadWorld hate? I expect it to do as well as No More Heroes, which did pretty well in North America.

Eh, lets not oversell NMH success. It did less world wide than any Devil May Cry game did in the US alone.

Mad World is an odd bird to predict. It's an action beat 'em up. Every devil May Cry has sold well over a million. The old Onimusha games did the same. There's no doubt in my mind Bayonetta will cross the million mark handily. The art style in and of itself shouldn't handicap the game THAT terribly, especially with half decent advertising that plays it as a strength. Other than it being a wii game, what would prevent it from being a million seller? The answer hopefully is nothing. Because publishing companies aren't going to look at it doing 500k and say "Huge success given it's unorthodox art style!" If it only does 500-600k and does so in an agonizing crawl ala NMH then that's not going to impress anyone. Especially if Bayonetta manages to handily cross a million on HD consoles while it's struggling.

Marketing teams and publishers won't make excuses for low numbers. If they aren't impressive, they aren't impressive. Mad world has more hype than any other action game for Wii right now, so it had better perform or it's going to look bad. And furthermore it's part of a drive. A drive to push core games on wii. If it flounders, even if Conduit does over a million, that just means one FPS got over a million and can be thrown on the pile of others like Red Steel and MP3 that are viewed as outliers, exceptions rather than a rule. I think core games need momentum, a string of hits, rather than just one game that managed to do decent numbers. The only way I could see it being acceptable for it to do mediocre numbers is if Conduit does fantastic numbers, does 3-4 million and has a strong online base of players. But otherwise one FPS doing good but not astounding numbers isn't going to convince anyone.

I'm being optimistic in thinking it can do well. I'm putting faith in the wii core gamer. There is no reason Mad World should only do 500-600k while similar high profile beat 'em ups on other systems can easily cross a million. I'm crossing my fingers for this one.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Madworld is just too unique looking, it's too visceral, it is anything but generic or run of the mill, at least in graphics presentation. I expect it to do 800k, maybe a mil over a lifetime. I love the look of the game, I love the pedigree of the developer, everything points to this game being a 90+ gem, but it's just too different looking for mass appeal, which is a damn shame.

Conduit; 2 mil
Madworld: 1 mil

Considering the wii's userbase, this shouldn't be that hard?

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

I think 500-600k would be good for Madworld. Clover/Platinum guys games hardly sell well but are always top quality and its pretty niche. The industry should not have 1 million in mind for this game. However since its Wii it'll be bashed if it doesnt break 1 million.

The Conduit however needs to break 1 million fast or its gonna be bad for Ninty and 3rd Party support. From Western developers at least.