By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How well do the Conduit and Madworld have to do to send a message?

HappySqurriel said:
Legend11 said:
HappySqurriel said:
dsister44 said:
Soriku said:
dsister44 said:
im thinking that they have to get about 5-6 million by the first year

Umm...yeah, no.

Conduit needs to get to 1 mil+ fast. Mad World IDK...originally Clover hasn't made any best selling games.

y make a expensive game that sells only a million when u can make a bunch of crap mini games 4 cheap and get 5-6million sells

Why spend $100 Million to make Grand Theft Auto 4 when you can make 100+ bewjewled clones?

The answer to your question is that the market for mini games on the Wii is pretty close to being fully saturated, and further investment towards those games is unlikely to provide a healthy return.

The 360 has been saturated with FPS games since the system was released and yet there are still a pile of them coming this year and next.  The same can be said for the Wii, publishers will make what sells on the system and regardless of the claims of some people, casual games are selling a lot on the system (take a look at this week's UK charts for example).

According to the Game database on this site 35 First person shooter games have been released for the XBox 360 since it was released, which is (roughly) 1 game per month and only 1/2 of those games have sold more than 500,000 copies.The XBox 360 is (probably) the highest concentration of the most dedicated FPS fans and it has difficulty supporting a FPS release every month. How likely is it that the Wii could support multiple mini-game collections being released in a month?

The fact is that if a game is the 4th best game (or worse) in a particular genre being released in a year the potential for great sales is limited because (no matter how dedicated the fanbase is) there is only so much demand for a particular genre. With that in mind, if you're going to produce additional mini-game collections your sales would probably be far better if you targeted the PS3 or XBox 360 because your game is far more likely to stand out.

You've hit the nail on the head, the only thing is there's not a whole lot of demand for it on 360, my friends that own 360s usually get things like scene it but it's not a very in demand genre I'd say but I could be wrong.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
Legend11 said:
HappySqurriel said:
dsister44 said:
Soriku said:
dsister44 said:
im thinking that they have to get about 5-6 million by the first year

Umm...yeah, no.

Conduit needs to get to 1 mil+ fast. Mad World IDK...originally Clover hasn't made any best selling games.

y make a expensive game that sells only a million when u can make a bunch of crap mini games 4 cheap and get 5-6million sells

Why spend $100 Million to make Grand Theft Auto 4 when you can make 100+ bewjewled clones?

The answer to your question is that the market for mini games on the Wii is pretty close to being fully saturated, and further investment towards those games is unlikely to provide a healthy return.

The 360 has been saturated with FPS games since the system was released and yet there are still a pile of them coming this year and next.  The same can be said for the Wii, publishers will make what sells on the system and regardless of the claims of some people, casual games are selling a lot on the system (take a look at this week's UK charts for example).

According to the Game database on this site 35 First person shooter games have been released for the XBox 360 since it was released, which is (roughly) 1 game per month and only 1/2 of those games have sold more than 500,000 copies.The XBox 360 is (probably) the highest concentration of the most dedicated FPS fans and it has difficulty supporting a FPS release every month. How likely is it that the Wii could support multiple mini-game collections being released in a month?

The fact is that if a game is the 4th best game (or worse) in a particular genre being released in a year the potential for great sales is limited because (no matter how dedicated the fanbase is) there is only so much demand for a particular genre. With that in mind, if you're going to produce additional mini-game collections your sales would probably be far better if you targeted the PS3 or XBox 360 because your game is far more likely to stand out.

I have to agree with that and so do sales.  A lot of min-game collections came out for Wii for the '08 holiday season but only one of those (Guiness Book of World Records) sold well and it was well reviewed.  All the rest bombed miserably (Circus Games, Movie Games, Baby Partyz, etc.) so it seems mini-game collections have outworn their welcome on Wii unless they are of good quality.   Meanwhile De Blob, Shaun White and CoDWaW all sold well (CodWaW was constantly sold out).   So it's time publishers starting looking for other genre's or make high quality mini-game collections if they hope to succeed.

I believe that Madworld will have to do a million and the Conduit will need 1.5 million if they are to prove that the wii is in anyway a viable option to other third parties.The sales of casual games is hurting the wii in a big way. Third parties can afford to pump out lots of these games with little to no risk of losing money and the potential to make a whole lot of money if one of their games happens to be moderately succesful.

Legend11 said:

If they sell better than casual games on the Wii it would send a message to publishers. Judging by the fact that My Fitness Coach, Carnival Funfair Games, Big Beach Sports and Sports Island seem to be doing well on the system (based on this week's UK chard) and are likely lower budget they have their work cut out for them.

well, it probably wont sell better than ALL of them but it doesnt mean it wont sell

ALSO, doesnt mean that this kind of game cant live at same time as casual games ! Some singers sell more CD's than others, does it mean only the 1st ones exist ?

Try Rage Of Bahamut ! Free trading card and RPG game on ITunes / Android. Use Code : Laa49998 

And get free  rare card.  Enjoy !

Voltaire said:
EntilZha said:

Madworld is rated M17+ on Wii and will not sell as well as it could because of this. Anyone know what the rating will be for the Conduit? IF it is rated teen and IF Sega treats the game as if it were already a success, ...

I agree and disagree with you there. Personaly, i would like to think Madworld wouldnt exist if it were thought as a T-rated game. But even then, there is a market for M-rated games on Wii, its just not awakened yet. On HD consoles, rating usually are no indication of success, hell if anything a M-rating will promotes the game as 'hardcore'. Ill go as far as saying half of Halos (im talking the whole series here) sold units went into the hands on underage kids. If its popular and they want it, they get it.

I agree that if you treat the game as a success, youll probably have a higher chance of it being a success. One example of this is Tenchu 4 (or Shadow Assasins). Ubisoft has no real marketing for the game (aside from limited viral marketing on sites where people already know of the game). Chances are that game will not tap into Wiis new demographic. Give a game a chance, however, advertise it, market it wisely, and at the very least the game gains popular awareness and a place in the open market. 

Oh, I agree with you about Madworld, there is definitely a fan base on Wii for mature games. I know because I am one. All I was pointing out is that it is smaller (by many magnitudes) than the T for teen market. Where many underage kids with X360 will have their parents buy an M rated shooter for them, I believe that wil happen significantly less with the Wii. So, I was not passing judgement on either game, simply pointing out factors that will influence total sales. And I know one thing that will have little effect on the sales of either game. Review scores. Review scores will only be seen by people like us. And people like us generally have already made up our minds to try, or not try, a game long before it is released.

So, once more, if Sega wants the Conduit to be successful, don't let the game be hidden in the game racks. Make sure it has its own prominent display and every Wii owner that enters the store will stop and check it out. Many will buy it simply because "if it has its own display, it must be good".

In the absence of evidence to the contrary, always assume you have the upper hand.

NNID = RangerOne

Switch = SW-2393-3671-6907

Around the Network

http://gonintendo.com/wp-content/photos/thumb_dc_wii_11881_uk_fke.jpg

Marketing is what they did with de Blob, award recognition on the box might help ^^. It could possibly influence the sales of DC. Good job

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

They definitely need to do well, The Conduit more so then Madworld. Madworld could fall into the niche category and not perform to the highest of standards because it's not an easily accessible game. If The Conduit garners strong reviews, it needs to sell well, and quickly, to prove that the Wii hardcore audience will show up.

My Games of 2011:

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Super Mario 3D Land

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception