Forums - Sony Discussion - Resident Evil 5 for PS3 has a 5GB mandatory install

O-D-C said:
you guys should all get Wii's

no harddrive no installs :p

Also no Resident Evil 5 >.>

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
ultraslick said:
Does this mean the loading times will be quicker on the PS3?
I know.. I know why the install exists but still I wonder what advantages each version will have.

I never mind installs, Yeah it would be better if the game didn't require them, but at the end of the day- if the install adds performance quality, then I am all for it.

And 5 Gigs is literally 1/100th the size of my internal hard drive in the PS3.

Ohh thats right!

yes, it probably means the load times are faster on the PS3, just like other games that use installs, such as Oblivion.  No matter how well you code a game, it will always load faster if it uses the HD.

Kantor said:
O-D-C said:
you guys should all get Wii's

no harddrive no installs :p

Also no Resident Evil 5 >.>

Seriously.  If a person is annoyed that the game they want has an install, why would they get a system that can't even play the game?

windbane said:
ultraslick said:
I know.. I know why the install exists but still I wonder what advantages each version will have.

I never mind installs, Yeah it would be better if the game didn't require them, but at the end of the day- if the install adds performance quality, then I am all for it.

Ohh thats right!

yes, it probably means the load times are faster on the PS3, just like other games that use installs, such as Oblivion.  No matter how well you code a game, it will always load faster if it uses the HD.

Well if you want to be technical, this game supports hd installs on the 360 too.

It just isnt mandatory...

Also, I don't have any doubt that 360 with optional RE5 hd installs will load faster than PS3 version with mandatory RE5 installs.

disolitude said:
windbane said:
ultraslick said:

Ohh thats right!

yes, it probably means the load times are faster on the PS3, just like other games that use installs, such as Oblivion. No matter how well you code a game, it will always load faster if it uses the HD.

Well if you want to be technical, this game supports hd installs on the 360 too.

Also, I don't have any doubt that 360 with optional RE5 hd installs will load faster than PS3 version with mandatory RE5 installs.

Why, is the 360 HD faster?

Around the Network

Buy a larger HDD say 500GB for PS3 and then you will have nothing to complain about if its a 5GB install.
For those who said RE5 is crap based on a short demo that is not fair. Most of the time demos suck and they are never a true indication of full game. I never waste my time with demos which could be spoilers to the full game. PC game installs are usually much larger than 5GB. Crysis required a 12GB install.

windbane said:
disolitude said:
windbane said:
ultraslick said:

Ohh thats right!

yes, it probably means the load times are faster on the PS3, just like other games that use installs, such as Oblivion. No matter how well you code a game, it will always load faster if it uses the HD.

Also, I don't have any doubt that 360 with optional RE5 hd installs will load faster than PS3 version with mandatory RE5 installs.

Why, is the 360 HD faster?

If the user choses to do so and install the game, the 360 gamer will have the whole game put on the hard drive, not just 5 gigs...therefore everything will load off the hard drive...and that is faster than loading parts off hd and other parts off bluray.

It may come down to the way the game is programmed. 360 hd installs do wonders for games like GTA4 and Mass Effect...but Halo 3 for example doesn't benefit from hd install at all...

I am surprised at the complaints here. You just got to accept it.

Ok if you dont buy the game, then Capcom will think PS3 owners have no interest in their games, thus will probably support the 360 more. Other Japanese devs could jump on that boat. Then you guys will complain about lack of support.

If you have a PS3 and interested in this game, you should get it to show Capcom you want them to support the thing.

disolitude: We'll see. I do know you can install a 7200 rpm HD on the PS3, even though the standard is only 5400rpm, and the option is there to get a huge HD, too. That might make a difference, too. As you say, though, it comes down to how it's developed. I would think the 5 gigs is most of the critical information that needs to be loaded quickly, though.

Thanks for the information there was a small chance that I would buy this game but after hearing this I will not buy it. Thanks Capcom for making my decisison much easier and thanks again for doing the same thing with DCM4.