By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Resident Evil 5 for PS3 has a 5GB mandatory install

ils411 said:
pfft! so what? all pc games requires install and you dont see pc gamers complaining! whats so hard about deleting unused game installs? next people are gonna say that "hey but were gona play it again..sometime in the near future or something" so just install it then. whats 5-10 mins? go grab a sandwich or take a dump while the game installs.

seriously, those still complaining about installs..get over it already.

While that may be true for PC,Consoles are not supposed to be like that,Plug in and play,not plug in,Install,20 mintues laterplay.

Around the Network

@Garnett
while your at it, consoles shouldnt even have HDDs. and they shouldnt be able to play music, dvds, blu-rays, brows pictures, surf the net....etc etc etc

game consoles have evolved from its original purpose of pure gaming into multimedia systems. like it or not, thats how they are being made these days save the wii.

if installing games into hdds would offer a better gaming experience so be it.

by the way, i havent heard of a ps3 game which needs 20mins to install. if you have, please shed some light into the matter.

Garnett said:
ils411 said:
pfft! so what? all pc games requires install and you dont see pc gamers complaining! whats so hard about deleting unused game installs? next people are gonna say that "hey but were gona play it again..sometime in the near future or something" so just install it then. whats 5-10 mins? go grab a sandwich or take a dump while the game installs.

seriously, those still complaining about installs..get over it already.

While that may be true for PC,Consoles are not supposed to be like that,Plug in and play,not plug in,Install,20 mintues laterplay.

I'd agree - but they second a console contains an HDD, and they are allowed to use it they will.

Seriously, if MS did not have a mandatory no installs policy then many games on 360 would have an install as well for sure as its simply too tempting for developers.

The fault isn't so much with the console as Sony chosing to leave it to developers to decide whether to use the HDD or not in this manner.  Some do, some don't - when they do you get installs.

KZ2, Uncharted and others have shown there is no real need provided your engine is properly running on the PS3 HW.

Capcom in particular I note simply don't seem to consider trying to avoid it.  Perhaps its their engine, but whatever they simply go for a massive install of all assets (from what I can see) to the HDD.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

ils411 said:
@Garnett
while your at it, consoles shouldnt even have HDDs. and they shouldnt be able to play music, dvds, blu-rays, brows pictures, surf the net....etc etc etc

game consoles have evolved from its original purpose of pure gaming into multimedia systems. like it or not, thats how they are being made these days save the wii.

if installing games into hdds would offer a better gaming experience so be it.

by the way, i havent heard of a ps3 game which needs 20mins to install. if you have, please shed some light into the matter.

So me waiting for my Game to install has what to do with what you just said,those are nice feature to use on the system,but MANDATORY installs are not supposed to be on a system.