By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Resident Evil 5 for PS3 has a 5GB mandatory install

how come the ps3 requires installs?

Around the Network

@bRoKeN

I guess its so games will run smoother...idk these guys on here know all about it. I'm sure if you backtrack a few pages you'll find where they explained it

Leap that wall if you're so great!!

makingmusic476 said:
Pristine20 said:
KylieDog said:
xlost7 said:
Glad to know. I was going to get the PS3 version cause I'm use to the PS controller. I mean its not a problem cause I have a 80GB PS3. But the fact of the matter is//those mandatory installs are a trip, seriously!

I mean you cannot play a single PS3 knowing you have to wait n install//lol//I will get the Xbox 360 version just because of Xbox Live and the Achievements portion.

You don't own one do you, or you would know a majority of PS3 game you just put the disc in and play with no install...

He almost decieved me lol. Seriously, some people think that having PSN ID's in thier sig gives them credibility to rant gibberish about the ps3 sometimes.

It's DMJ's cousin.  You can trust him.

Yeah, I see now lol. looks like he hasn't used his ps3 enough to even know the basics. It also looks like only SCEWWS is able to make games that run smoothly without installs. I guess it's because they know how to work around ps3 HW better than other devs. Capcom is the worst.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

xlost7 said:
@makingmusic

well I forgot about Uncharted. For some reason I thought it was a mandatory install on HDD required.

Maybe its because I see so many threads on people complaining about the install to HDD for PS3 games. That I figure all PS3 games require some type of install.

@Pristine20 & Kyliedog

Where are you guys? You two were the ones that didn't believe I had a PS3. That pic above is my 80GB PS3 that I have owned for about a year now. I don't bash the PS3. I love all consoles equal.

I have a PSN ID in my sig to not only to let people know I have a PS3 but for some people to add me. If you don't believe me send me a friend request and I will add you.

But don't accuse me or say I'm saying bad things about the PS3 and you know I'm only stating facts.

I have acknowledged that you aren't lying. Can't really add you as a friend since I'm at max though sorry.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

bRoKeN said:

It's hard not to get too technical but it has everything to do with CLV vs CAV and disc optimisation.

Because of slower seek times inherent in CLV (Blu-ray) developers either impose a mandatory install or copy the game data multiple times on the blu-ray disc to increase otherwise slow load times. 

I don't know why Capcom insists upon the install - I guess because there's one dev team working on the game and they are pushed for simultaneous release dates.

Around the Network

yeah this guy knows what he's talking about lol

@Pristine20

It's cool//I just had to make sure and prove to you I am not lying and to show I'm not again. I cleaned off my PS3 which was collected in dust and here it is:

@DuNnDuNn90

I posted a pic of my cleaned and shiny PS3//lol//its dust free now. Check the comparison:

Before (Dusty PS3)

After (Clean/Shiny PS3)

lol//there you guys go I haven't abandoned my PS3//I do need to buy new games for it though. I only have Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

you do know 5000MBs isnt exactly 5GBs right.... Its like 4.8GBs or something around there.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

yea!!! Dead Space if you're in for a thrill

Fumanchu said:
bRoKeN said:

It's hard not to get too technical but it has everything to do with CLV vs CAV and disc optimisation.

Because of slower seek times inherent in CLV (Blu-ray) developers either impose a mandatory install or copy the game data multiple times on the blu-ray disc to increase otherwise slow load times. 

I don't know why Capcom insists upon the install - I guess because there's one dev team working on the game and they are pushed for simultaneous release dates.

This. I was thinking why capcom keeps doing this when it's obvious that the game fits in a DVD9. They could use all that extra space and make copies so that it can be played w/o an install. With all these capcom games that need big installs, it makes me wonder, how bad would the loading be w/o the install (or multiple copies in the same disc).