By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Resident Evil 5 for PS3 has a 5GB mandatory install

I'm not gonna lie, this sucks. Over 2 years into the PS3's lifespan, this shit shouldn't be happening anymore. It's crazy, I can't play Resi 5 on the PS3 without having to wait 10 minutes first and I wouldn't be able to play it on the 360 without a DRE error message coming up. What a great gen this is :(

Around the Network
The_God_of_War said:

I'm not gonna lie, this sucks. Over 2 years into the PS3's lifespan, this shit shouldn't be happening anymore. It's crazy, I can't play Resi 5 on the PS3 without having to wait 10 minutes first and I wouldn't be able to play it on the 360 without a DRE error message coming up. What a great gen this is :(

Italics: Annoying fact

Bolded: Unnecessary trolling

Look, its simple. Whatever you think of BR R/W speed vs DVD, etc. the facts are:

1) MS has a mandatory no install policy on 360, and used DVD which is familiar and has certain (not total) speed advantages over BR. The result, developers sometimes bitch about not being able to use an HDD and grumble. But that's how it works with the console. Result - no mandatory installs but sometimes worse pop-in, etc. vs PS3 games that install (e.g. GTA IV). MS allow optional installs so you can take advantage of an HDD if you want and reduce load times/pop-in.

2) Sony has no mandatory policy regarding HDD and every PS3 has an HDD. BR has certain (not total) advantages over DVD. The result, developers us the HDD whenever it suits them and sometimes consumers bitch about installs. Result - sometimes superior performance to 360 versions, sometimes not. Sometimes loading advantages, sometimes not.

I think the situation is crystal clear myself.

Just as most 360 owners seem to advocate having an HDD and buying a higher spec 360 I would advocate PS3 owners to get a bigger HDD or buy PS3 with the larger HDD.

Either way sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

blue-lady said:
The_God_of_War said:

Italics: Annoying fact

Bolded: Unnecessary trolling

Your post added a lot to the discussion, kudos.

Thats so stupid i just got a 40 GB
Well i guess its time to swap it out

Around the Network
Reasonable said:
Look, its simple. Whatever you think of BR R/W speed vs DVD, etc. the facts are:

1) MS has a mandatory no install policy on 360, and used DVD which is familiar and has certain (not total) speed advantages over BR. The result, developers sometimes bitch about not being able to use an HDD and grumble. But that's how it works with the console. Result - no mandatory installs but sometimes worse pop-in, etc. vs PS3 games that install (e.g. GTA IV). MS allow optional installs so you can take advantage of an HDD if you want and reduce load times/pop-in.

2) Sony has no mandatory policy regarding HDD and every PS3 has an HDD. BR has certain (not total) advantages over DVD. The result, developers us the HDD whenever it suits them and sometimes consumers bitch about installs. Result - sometimes superior performance to 360 versions, sometimes not. Sometimes loading advantages, sometimes not.

I think the situation is crystal clear myself.

Just as most 360 owners seem to advocate having an HDD and buying a higher spec 360 I would advocate PS3 owners to get a bigger HDD or buy PS3 with the larger HDD.

Either way sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Well put.  I'd add that, for myself, either way it's not a big deal.

O-D-C said:
you guys should all get Wii's

no harddrive no installs :p

and constantly delete and reinstall stuff to cope with 512mb of memory? no thanks

on topic: a 5gb install sucks. i'm still on my original 60gb drive and almost out of room.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

well i think i can sacrifice 5 gbs of hard drive for resident evil. It will be an epic game

Leap that wall if you're so great!!

I don't care...i have a 320gb hard drive :)

That's simply lazy ass developing. If KZ2 can run without any installs, then so can RE5.