By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Resident Evil 5 for PS3 has a 5GB mandatory install

where in the hell do you get a 320 gb ps3?? and how much is it??

Leap that wall if you're so great!!

Around the Network
Kantor said:
O-D-C said:
you guys should all get Wii's

no harddrive no installs :p

Also no Resident Evil 5 >.>

Shut me up.

The problem isn't so much that it's hard to develop for ps3, but rather that you have to develop on the ps3 in a completely different manner than you would on the 360 to maximize the performance of the system.

Porting games from 360 to ps3 or porting games from PC to either won't really work. The ps3 is at it's finest when developers heavily use the SPUs to assist the RSX with graphics functions, and when they use heavy streaming from the Blu-Ray disc. This is why games like Killzone 2 and Uncharted are some of the best looking and smoothest running games out there (Uncharted has no loading whatsoever).

Call of Duty 4 also performs excellently because Infinity Ward had two teams dedicated to creating an engine for both platforms, rather than creating the engine primarily on PC, then porting it to each system.

Porting a 360/PC optimized engine to ps3 just won't work, because developers will use the HDD as a crutch instead of significantly tailoring the engine to the ps3's hardware.  It's also one reason why many multiplats look worse on ps3.

DuNnDuNn90 said:
where in the hell do you get a 320 gb ps3?? and how much is it??

You have to buy an extra HDD for something like 50€. This is a solution but isn't it stupid that you need to upgrade your 500€ gaming system (20GB-launch-PS3) to play several games at the same time? Don't know how much the 40GB PS3 was.

And a 179€ Xbox360 Arcade can run the game right away.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

I paid $399 for my 40gb ps3. I can understand where people are coming from about it taking too much space but if I upgrade it, i'll have to take out my 40gb and put in another which means I won't have any of my save data anymore right??

Around the Network

Glad to know. I was going to get the PS3 version cause I'm use to the PS controller. I mean its not a problem cause I have a 80GB PS3. But the fact of the matter is//those mandatory installs are a trip, seriously!

I mean you cannot play a single PS3 knowing you have to wait n install//lol//I will get the Xbox 360 version just because of Xbox Live and the Achievements portion.

Well when I bought my ps3 I wasn't expecting to give up 5 gbs of space for one game. I've had mine since last july and I wasn't gonna pay an extra 100 dollars just for 40 more gbs of space that I didn't know I would need. If I knew what I knew now I would have gotten the 80 gb.

oh ok thats really good to know. I was trippin out. So like putting it on a psp will do good??

DuNnDuNn90 said:
I paid $399 for my 40gb ps3. I can understand where people are coming from about it taking too much space but if I upgrade it, i'll have to take out my 40gb and put in another which means I won't have any of my save data anymore right??

Back up your save on a good ol' usb drive. It isn't complicated. If you go big i.e 200gb + HDD, you'd probably never have to do it again.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

KylieDog said:
xlost7 said:
Glad to know. I was going to get the PS3 version cause I'm use to the PS controller. I mean its not a problem cause I have a 80GB PS3. But the fact of the matter is//those mandatory installs are a trip, seriously!

I mean you cannot play a single PS3 knowing you have to wait n install//lol//I will get the Xbox 360 version just because of Xbox Live and the Achievements portion.

You don't own one do you, or you would know a majority of PS3 game you just put the disc in and play with no install...

He almost decieved me lol. Seriously, some people think that having PSN ID's in thier sig gives them credibility to rant gibberish about the ps3 sometimes.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler