By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - My First Reaction to RE5

the wii-mote cant match the mouse, everytime you shoot there is a slight movement in your hand which can mean the differnce between a headshot and a nothing-shot and proof of that is with the on-screen keyboard, most of the time you press the button below or above the one you actually wanted

Initiating social expirement #928719281

Around the Network
FishyJoe said:

I know this isn't a Wii game, but I can't help it. Playing the game made me miss the RE4 Wii controls. RE5 just seems slow to and cumbersome to move and aim. I haven't played enough to say whether the game will be good, but it's difficult to enjoy it when all I can think about is how unnatural the controls are. The graphics are nice, but to be honest they don't really increase my enjoyment of the game very much.

That is the very reason I am not interested in buying this game.  In fact I can't even be bothered to download the demo.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

naznatips said:
The lack of a Wiimote isn't the issue. The fact is the game is slow and clunky, even when compared with the PS2 and GC versions of RE4. It's just not going to be a very good game. Sucks, but that's life.

I just tried the demo this morning and i couldn't agree more

windbane said:

That did spark my interest.  I had ignored that game due to mediocre reviews.  In reading the IGN review, however, I came across this:

" Players should be warned, however, that - as with other Wii games of its nature - Ghost Squad doesn't work exactly like a light gun. Most Wii gun games thus far have used the IR as a mouse, having players hold the controller in a comfortable position and doing little more than steering a target around the screen, and that's the default feel with Ghost Squad as well. You aren't aiming at the screen, but the sensor bar. With the release of the Zapper, however, Nintendo is hoping to make these games feel more in tune with actual light-gun titles, though Ghost Squad did so with a simple calibration screen rather than rocking a plastic shell that is essentially a light gun placebo. Ghost Squad allows you to turn off the on-screen cursor, adding to the difficulty while offering a higher overall score burst. Rather than having players rely on guess work, however, the Wii-mote can be sighted in via an IR calibration screen, at least to a certain extent. Shoot the upper-left and bottom-right of the screen with the controller and you're in business, although it'll still have some issues throughout.

As Since the IR works on triangulation, the center of the screen will be more accurate than the outsides, so while looking down the "barrel" of the Wii-mote will actually work, the cursor will get progressively farther from your aim as you near the edge of the screen in any direction. Also, you'll need to hold the Wii-mote (or Zapper controller) extremely level, as any tilt at all in the IR will result in skewed aim. As a final oddity, any forward or backward movement after calibration will also throw the triangulation off, so once you sight it in, you'll need to stay in that same position until you're done playing. It's a solid first effort in trying to truly calibrate the IR, but as fair warning to those looking to play Ghost Squad in the more traditional light gun mode, it still isn't perfect. Our suggestion for scoring massive points: Use the unlockable TM9V pistol with the "laser sight" as its special ability. You can turn off the cursor, and still have a tiny dot on-screen at the sacrifice of automatic weaponry or overwhelming power."

It doesn't appear that it's very accurate.  I don't think the IR tech in the Wiimote is going to produce enough accuracy to dethrone a 1600dpi mouse any time soon.  I think they need more sensors around the TV. or at least better calibration.  Not being able to move the controller much isn't going to work.

Wait, are they seriously surprised that if you change your distance from the screen the calibration is rendered useless? Of course it is, the whole point of the calibration is to let the console know how far away you are from the screen. Captain Obvious should pay them a visit.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

stof said:
Considering that the Resident Evil series started out with some of the worst controls in gaming, I'm sure this control downgrade won't be a deal breaker for most people.

Indeed, but RE 1 redeemed itself with the awesome cutscenes and dialogue!

"You, Jill, the master of lockpicking." -lengthy pause while the PS makes weird noises-

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
stof said:
Considering that the Resident Evil series started out with some of the worst controls in gaming, I'm sure this control downgrade won't be a deal breaker for most people.

Indeed, but RE 1 redeemed itself with the awesome cutscenes and dialogue!

"You, Jill, the master of unlocking." -lengthy pause while the PS makes weird noises-

Fixed

Alas, it seems that the master of unlocking is no more...  

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

I very much would want Wii controls in RE5. I would prefer it over the current version even if the Wii graphics were downgraded to RE4 level.

Nevertheless I'm sure I'll enjoy RE5. But in this discussion I really only want to know what people with both a Wii and a PS3/360 that have played RE4 Wii and the RE5 demo think about this.

But I'm pretty sure most people that played RE4Wii would prefer that control scheme, and controls are for me more important than anything else in a game.

BengaBenga said:
I very much would want Wii controls in RE5. I would prefer it over the current version even if the Wii graphics were downgraded to RE4 level.

Nevertheless I'm sure I'll enjoy RE5. But in this discussion I really only want to know what people with both a Wii and a PS3/360 that have played RE4 Wii and the RE5 demo think about this.

But I'm pretty sure most people that played RE4Wii would prefer that control scheme, and controls are for me more important than anything else in a game.

That's not what would fix the game though. Yes, RE4 Wii's controls were more accurate, but this isn't just about accuracy. The character himself controls awkwardly and sluggishly. The aiming is much slower than necessary with an analog stick. This isn't about Wii controls. This is simply an unacceptably poor use of analog controls.

naznatips said:
BengaBenga said:

That's not what would fix the game though. Yes, RE4 Wii's controls were more accurate, but this isn't just about accuracy. The character himself controls awkwardly and sluggishly. The aiming is much slower than necessary with an analog stick. This isn't about Wii controls. This is simply an unacceptably poor use of analog controls.

Yeah, that's probably right. I can't recall anymore whether RE4 on GC was so slow and a bit clunky. I don't think so since I loved that game on GC as well.

I still really look forward to it, but my massive hype really died with the demo. I can really understand that if you're not a big fan of the series and the story you'll buy Dead Space or FEAR 2 instead.

You guys DO KNOW that you can change the sensitivity, right? o_O

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!