By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - My First Reaction to RE5

yeah i downloaded the game demo for ps3 and i forgot how bad the controls were..wii resident evil4 definitely pawns these controls.

story wise..
who knows

hello how are you.

Around the Network
naznatips said:
ameratsu said:
naznatips said:
ameratsu said:
KylieDog said:
If they are gonna give the Wii more RE games, they need be original designed for Wii first games.

Seriously, this. This game would have to be completely reworked for the Wii and you'd end up with a broken mess of a game. Make something ground up on the Wii, focus on the Wiis stengths, and make a really good game. That's what I'd be hoping for if I were a Wii owner.

So basically it would be ported unchanged.

(couldn't resist)

lol, you thought the demo was that bad?

I think the game is OK. Salvageable because of the co-op, but the rest of the game feels pretty broken.

AI is some of the worst I've ever seen, and I include RE4 in that. I had a zombie get stuck in the door in the first demo level and the others just walk into him for 30 seconds until he got unstuck. I ran out the back door and the zombies got so confused they just ran into each other and got killed by the big one swinging the axe. It was like watching a zombie version of Benny Hill.

Turning and aiming are much slower than RE4, even with the sensitivity adjustment. Thanks to Chris taking sterroids you now can barely see anything on screen when aiming. The knife controls are awful. You definitely should not have to hold a button and press another one to use it. The menu is unnatural and difficult to use when you need it. There were numerous pathing and graphical bugs, including both zombies and me getting stuck in things, through things, and running into each other.

RE4 had great AI. Made the game a lot of fun. Hopefully they will iron out the kinks like with the door example you listed... but honestly if it's similar to RE4 AI it'll be fun.

naznatips said:
Staude said:
NJ5 said:
NinjaKido said:
NJ5 said:

Refer to my reply again...

There are also people who make it seem like Gamecube, Xbox and PS2 graphics were awful and that's why they don't get a Wii. Even though PS360 controls are more last-gen than Wii's graphics are.

*Sigh* do you really wanna go there ?

Sure, why not?

Is it not a fact that PS360's controls are the same as last-gen's, whereas Wii's graphics are improved, even if only by a small margin?

sixaxis controls are better than wiimote controls. There i said it. And yes it's true too.(in my opinion) I have a wii so i know. I've never played anything on the wii that played a 10th as well as sixaxis heavenly sword parts. It's not all that good. In particular cause nintendo was cheap and decided to opt for the less expensive solution when it cam to the motion controls.

You are welcome to your opinion on how well the controls are utilized in games, but you are not allowed to flat out lie, and that's what this post is.

The Wiimote and Sixaxis posess the same amount and type of gyroscopes, and the same quality of accelerometer. This means both sense tilt and acceleration identically. That said, the Wiimote is capable of manymore degrees of motion sensing such as height and distance from TV thanks to the IR functionality, and it also augments the tilt function. The wand shape allows for both more freedom of movement and forms of motion (for example Zack & Wiki uses it normally, vertically, and horrizontally with different functions on each). When combined with the nunchuk, which itself posesses the same functionality as the Sixaxis, the motion control features of the Wiimote and Sixaxis aren't even comparable.

Also please post your friend code in your profile. I'd really like some proof of console ownership after a post like this.

I'm rebuilding my apartment. I don't even have my ps3 hooked up here. I have no clue where my wii is and I don't have a friends code either because i don't know how you get one. I've only used it offline.. and to check out the virtual store where i was gonna grab some classics until i found out the prices of nes games were above (or at the same) prices of ps1 games(it's a while since i was there so i can't remember snes games exacly, i think it variated depending on the game i'm not sure) that's a whole generation of difference. And n64 games were twice as expensive. Ps1 games = 40kr N64 games = 75kr. And don't say they are worth twice as much because that simply isn't true.

If that doesn't prove that i have, atleast had access to the store, you will have to settle with the doubt. Because I can't for good reasons get it online any time soon. And not having played the thing online i don't have a friend code.

Besides you must have missed the "(In my opinion)" which states that it is in my opinion. I should have said I've seen better Use of the sixaxis which is amazing concidering how much it is bashed by those (I assume) who hasn't witnessed it truly shine. Then again You could also say the same about the wii mote and me, but i have some of the most highly spoken of games so i'm going to have to assume that i've seen mostly what it's capable of offering in it's current state (that is without the motion plus device and with the limitations of the hardware itself)

Check out my game about moles ^

Barozi said:
Oh noes ! How dare you played a game without a Wiimote ?

Guess the "old" days were horrible......

"Oh noes ! How dare you played a game without HD graphics ?

Guess the "old" days were horrible......"

Some people have a hard time going back to something more primitive after experiencing something more advanced whether that is controls or graphics. Others, like NJ5 or me, can.

And while one can reasonably argue whether the Wiimote is better for some types of game, that is not the case with a RE4 style game where the superior speed and accuracy of the infrared pointer demolish dual analogue controls and make it so much more realistic (in a similar way that more powerful graphic components allow games to look much more realistic on Ps360).

"I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

On my first play through with this demo I tried out the online co-op with a friend. During this play through I found the controls to be lacklustre, and my character felt like a tank rather than a human being. The over the shoulder camera wasn't fantastic either with zombies appearing out of nowhere chomping on my ass. I did not enjoy being swarmed by zombies whilst battling the controls, and the game was certainly not scary in the slightest; but then Resident Evil has shifted more into survival action rather than horror.

It could have ended there and then, my expectations shattered for the next supposed AAA entry in this long running franchise, however, it did not.

I decided to give the demo a second shot - only fair I thought - this time on solo mode. For whatever reason, probably due to having a little experience with the controls and adjusting to the fact there was a red laser and not a retitcule in the middle of my screen, I found it easier to pop off headshots more often. I also used the context punchs and stomps regularly, finding them as an excellent way to conserve ammunition for touger encounters. The problems I had been having with the character turning like a tank were vastly reduced by liberal usage of the quick turn function. Also I had been getting a sore thumb from holding the left analogue stick down to run and switched to holding X to run and began turning with the left stick instead of the right. The controls, whilst not perfect, are certainly more than capable for the situations I was in.

Now I failed to mention that during my co-op play through I had to rescue my partner on far too many occasions. I guess he just plain sucked as on my solo play through I rarely had to rescue Sheva and she was quite good with the hand gun; if a little wasteful of ammunition.

I've came to accept that the series is no longer horror, but I do expect quite a few tense moments from the final game, and instead of the "no way in hell am I playing this" attitude I had after my first play through, i'm certainly in the mood to go out and complete this game now and will give Capcom the benefit of the doubt.

Playing: InFamous, Super Robot Taisen OG Saga, Modern Warfare 2

Around the Network

(making a post without fully reading the thread, so sorry if somebody has made the point already)

I'll be honest, I never liked RE4's analogue stick controls on Gamecube or PS2. I thought they were both extremely limiting and awkward. I don't think anyone other than a long practiced console gamer would take to them quickly. I played the full game, and it's a great game, but I felt the controls were horrible and that never changed. I got used to them alright, but they never became 'good' in my view.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

SmokedHostage said:
melbye said:
I know what you mean. The analoge aiming and stuff really do suck and makes it almost unplayable

I agree with this.  If the demo is any indication, I don't think this game will be very playable.

I agree 100%.....tried the demo last night and found despite the good graphics that the game is basically unplayable with the control system provided.