By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "The Conduit is generic"

There are portions of the theme in The Conduit that are fairly generic but at the same time the more contemporary setting with a protagonist that is not (some sort of) a super soldier in regenerating armour is a little more unusual. It would be nice to see a return to experimentation with other themes in the genre, but with how limited the competition is on the Wii I don’t see a problem with its generic elements.

Around the Network

I'm actually partially intrigued by the story, simply because of the All-Seeing Eye

I'm wondering if this game is going to be "National Treasure: The FPS"

That could definitely salvage it's generic-ness

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Generetic?? please give me a PS360 FPS with the amount of costumised controles like The Counduit...

Graphics isn't everything you know, hell I rather take controles over graphics any day of the week.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Shadowblind said:
whorenraged said:

I see many people claiming that The Conduit is generic. Because it is all about Aliens, we have to save the world, no major addictions in the genre despite gameplay (which is on it's way to be the best on consoles btw).

Ok, so based on this criteria I did a list of games that we can call generic also, based on the same thoughts for the Conduit. (The ones I own are marked with a *)

- Resistance 1/2 - Has Aliens, we have to save the world - GENERIC GAME

- Halo 1/2/3 - Aliens, Aliens, Aliens - EPICLY GENERIC GAME

- *CoD5 - WW2, We have to save the world - GENERIC GAME

- *The Darkness - Weird Creatures, so - GENERIC GAME

- Unreal Tournament - Generic name, and on top of that, there is "aliens" - GENERIC GAME

- Left for Dead - ZOMBIES AGAIN??? - OMMMG GENERIC

I don't remenber anything right now. The list can be updated. Your thoughts...?

-Left 4 Dead: Oh HELL no you didn't just say Left 4 Dead was generic. There is no game like this anyway, and even the ZOMBIEs are original. They run faster then you do for crying out loud, and versus mode is an innovation the FPS world had almost never seen before. Different spawn points, and the game plays differently every time you play it.

I'm not saying Conduit is generic, since I've yet to hear anything about it. I'm just pointing out how stupid your examples are.

I was just gonna say the SAME thing,and Zombies generic? There is only what 2-3 Zombie games out the last 3 generations and how many were good what? just L4D aww,L4D is anything but generic.

Naum said:
Generetic?? please give me a PS360 FPS with the amount of costumised controles like The Counduit...

Graphics isn't everything you know, hell I rather take controles over graphics any day of the week.

Who said anything about graphics ? We're talking about the story

Around the Network
Garnett said:
Shadowblind said:
whorenraged said:

I see many people claiming that The Conduit is generic. Because it is all about Aliens, we have to save the world, no major addictions in the genre despite gameplay (which is on it's way to be the best on consoles btw).

Ok, so based on this criteria I did a list of games that we can call generic also, based on the same thoughts for the Conduit. (The ones I own are marked with a *)

- Resistance 1/2 - Has Aliens, we have to save the world - GENERIC GAME

- Halo 1/2/3 - Aliens, Aliens, Aliens - EPICLY GENERIC GAME

- *CoD5 - WW2, We have to save the world - GENERIC GAME

- *The Darkness - Weird Creatures, so - GENERIC GAME

- Unreal Tournament - Generic name, and on top of that, there is "aliens" - GENERIC GAME

- Left for Dead - ZOMBIES AGAIN??? - OMMMG GENERIC

I don't remenber anything right now. The list can be updated. Your thoughts...?

-Left 4 Dead: Oh HELL no you didn't just say Left 4 Dead was generic. There is no game like this anyway, and even the ZOMBIEs are original. They run faster then you do for crying out loud, and versus mode is an innovation the FPS world had almost never seen before. Different spawn points, and the game plays differently every time you play it.

I'm not saying Conduit is generic, since I've yet to hear anything about it. I'm just pointing out how stupid your examples are.

I was just gonna say the SAME thing,and Zombies generic? There is only what 2-3 Zombie games out the last 3 generations and how many were good what? just L4D aww,L4D is anything but generic.

Zombies are not original, and are actually the most played out undead villain in games, ever since Doom, or even Wolfenstein, with the zombie robot Nazis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_undead-themed_video_games

This page has lists of games that have modern horror zombies, revenants, voodoo zombies, fantasy zombies, and other zombies, and they actually outnumber games about ghosts, werewolves, and vampires.

I guess Castlevania cornered the vampire game market, but where the hell are all the werewolf games?  It's basically Zelda and Sonic right now, which is really fucking weird.  I've love an original werewolf game in which clouds would cover the full moon and you'd turn human again and had to hide until the moon came back out.  When the moon wasn't full you'd avoid action missions and do whatever spying/research/interrogation crap you needed to do, and then on the full moon you'd eat tons of baddies.

I'm not talking about story, I'm talking about gameplay.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Soriku said:
Barozi said:
Naum said:

And...FPS games don't have good stories.

That is the norm yes, but there are definite exceptions.  I truly enjoyed the atmosphere and story of Bioshock.  But I think it's less about how good the story is over how generic and average the content of the story appears to be.  I don't agree with that argument because Conduit's story seems just about as luckluster as most other shooters, but I think that's the argument being made.

Personally, I think Conduit is mainly looked at for the developers' attitude towards the Wii and less for how amazing the game actually looks.

True. Good FPS's often sacrifice good plot for engagement. Most FPS plots would absolutely flop if they were original movies. However they are extremely engaging. Take Half Life for example. Everybody acts like it has a great plot, but it wouldn't be great if told in a novel or on film. Rather, it is extremely engaging. Same goes for Halo, etc.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Soriku said:
Barozi said:
Naum said:

The stories are most of the time very well, but many developers fail at telling them.