By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "The Conduit is generic"

Shadowblind said:
The_vagabond7 said:
Shadowblind said:

Alright guys, I'll bite with all of ya.

"What makes the Conduit different from other FPS?"

There.

...I already explained that quite a bit.

So I guess there isn't any reason why its not generic then -_-,

@Ghost of Rubang: Yeah I worded it wrong. Halo 1 was the first true "FPS" to come to a console. Ya know, the original PC design for a shooter coming to console, etc. et.c

no, Halo 1 was the first massivley popular FPS, not first true console FPS

Around the Network
Phoenix_Wiight said:
Shadowblind said:
The_vagabond7 said:
Shadowblind said:

There.

...I already explained that quite a bit.

So I guess there isn't any reason why its not generic then -_-,

@Ghost of Rubang: Yeah I worded it wrong. Halo 1 was the first true "FPS" to come to a console. Ya know, the original PC design for a shooter coming to console, etc. et.c

no, Halo 1 was the first massivley popular FPS, not first true console FPS

Ever heard of Quake, Doom, Goldeneye, Turok, Duke Nukem? They were all massive. Goldeneye sold more then Halo. I certainly hope you worded that wrong or were being sarcastic.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

does anyone even know what generic means? I dont think any of those games are generic. Especially The Darkness, Unreal, and Left 4 Dead. I think the original poster just didnt like something someone had to say about The Conduit.

Generic is Minesweeper and all the bejewaled clones.

ge⋅ner⋅ic   [juh-ner-ik] Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective Also, ge⋅ner⋅i⋅cal.
1. of, applicable to, or referring to all the members of a genus, class, group, or kind; general.
2. of, pertaining to, or noting a genus, esp. in biology.
3. (of a word) applicable or referring to both men and women: a generic pronoun.
4. not protected by trademark registration: “Cola” and “shuttle” are generic terms.
–noun
5. a generic term.
6. any product, as a type of food, drug, or cosmetic commonly marketed under a brand name, that is sold in a package without a brand.
7. a wine made from two or more varieties of grapes, with no one grape constituting more than half the product (distinguished from varietal ).

@Shadowblind

"Halo 1 was the first true Console FPS, which led to the all console FPS today, while 2/3 were anything but generic, due to its massive reforms to multiplayer, and huge amounts of content for players and friends."

I guess you obviously overlooked GoldenEye N64 which did far more for console FPS. If anything Halo just added more.

I always think of "generic" as meaning "strictly adhering to the constraints of the genre."

99% of games are generic, and 99.9% of FPS games are generic. The last time I played an FPS that did anything interesting with the genre was Portal.

Around the Network

well if you are using those standards than yes most games are generic it is difficult to have something completely fresh in any medium not just video games (look at movies for example),

however, I think The Conduit's story might be good since it looks like it will be based in some fact because many of our founding fathers were Free Masons and we all know of the crazy conspiracies that surround the Free Masons...if the story can be done right I think it will put The Conduit a step above a generic FPS

I started making videos for youtube; check them out.

Contra (No Deaths): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_OdnbGgupM

Super C (No Deaths): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHoJrHWATgU

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (Mike Tyson TKO): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4L7oDV79aw

Systems owned: Atari 2600, NES(3), Top loader NES, Yobo NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, Sega Gamegear, Sega Nomad, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Playstation 2, Wii, PS3 (slim 120 GB), Wii U

You should congratulate me. I destroyed the vile red falcon and saved the universe. I consider myself a hero.

I think Halo's big contribution was popularizing the regenerative health concept, and making online FPS playing a big deal (for consoles). I love me some Quake 3 on Dreamcast, but it was more ahead of it's time than game changing.

Golden Eye and Turok I think were the big pushers for FPS on console though.

I see Halo as the Final Fantasy VII of the FPS genre. No, it wasn't the first, it wasn't the best but it did some things really well and got the gaming populous at large to take note, and make the genre popular for years.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

I think "generic" is a misnomer in the conduit's case. Alot of people see it, are completely bored by it, search for a word to explain why and that is the best that comes to mind.

The conduit's problem as I highlighted earlier is that it's old. It belongs to a different era of FPS. The majority of developers and gamers have moved on to the current evolution of FPS and the Conduit is still playing like it's the early 2000s.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

izaaz101 said:
Shadowblind said:

There.

It's not a port!

AHAHA. good one :P

Party Time.

Shadowblind said:
whorenraged said:

I see many people claiming that The Conduit is generic. Because it is all about Aliens, we have to save the world, no major addictions in the genre despite gameplay (which is on it's way to be the best on consoles btw).

Ok, so based on this criteria I did a list of games that we can call generic also, based on the same thoughts for the Conduit. (The ones I own are marked with a *)

- Resistance 1/2 - Has Aliens, we have to save the world - GENERIC GAME

- Halo 1/2/3 - Aliens, Aliens, Aliens - EPICLY GENERIC GAME

- *CoD5 - WW2, We have to save the world - GENERIC GAME

- *The Darkness - Weird Creatures, so - GENERIC GAME

- Unreal Tournament - Generic name, and on top of that, there is "aliens" - GENERIC GAME

- Left for Dead - ZOMBIES AGAIN??? - OMMMG GENERIC

I don't remenber anything right now. The list can be updated. Your thoughts...?

-R1 and 2 I couldn't stand, so I'm not even gonna try to defend them.

-Halo 1 was the first true Console FPS, which led to the all console FPS today, while 2/3 were anything but generic, due to its massive reforms to multiplayer, and huge amounts of content for players and friends. 

-If you ragged on the original CoD, I would've been able to say something, it was stunning for its time. But again, Don't care to much for CoD 5. 

-Why the hell did you even include the Darkness? It wasn't even that good.

-Unreal Tournament: High octane, insanely fast paced combat based on huge feilds that is made to be more traditional then other games. Not generic, traditional.

-Left 4 Dead: Oh HELL no you didn't just say Left 4 Dead was generic. There is no game like this anyway, and even the ZOMBIEs are original. They run faster then you do for crying out loud, and versus mode is an innovation the FPS world had almost never seen before. Different spawn points, and the game plays differently every time you play it.

I'm not saying Conduit is generic, since I've yet to hear anything about it. I'm just pointing out how stupid your examples are.

A few of you are missing the point he is trying to make. He isn't bagging the games out, he is bagging out the people who have come up with the CRITERIA that MAGICALLY determine if a game is generic.

He found good games that based on those WEAK CRITERIA would make them generic games. The point being most people would agree that those games are not generic, yet they call Conduit generic because it has Aliens in it lol.